It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 41% Like Boycotts to Protest Bailouts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I am of mixed feelings on this.

I think it is definitely a good gesture in the long term, to not support these bloated mega-corps and bankster enterprises who are controlling our 'leaders' and using them to continually loot the tax-payer base.

But then on the other hand, in the short term, they have ALREADY robbed us, and are sitting on these billions of our taxes and treasury hand-outs, so I am unsure of just how effective a boycott will be in the short term to them?

Thoughts?

A surprising number of voters unhappy with government bailouts are ready to act themselves rather than rely on Congress.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 41% of Likely U.S. Voters say they are at least somewhat likely to boycott all companies that have been bailed out by the government, with 16% who say they are Very Likely to do so.

Full Article:

www.rasmussenreports.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

If they lose enouh business maybe they will change the way they run those businesses. The people were not happy with all these bailouts and I myself would love to see enough people boycott, that these big companies actually "felt" the sting of displeasure.

All too often we fuss and complain about things but take no action. That doesn't bring about a lot of change. They count on us being too busy to switch banks, too busy to pay attention to what is going on around us. And for decades their gamble has paid off.

The regular joe gets no bailout, and probably would not accept one if it were offered. That's the way it's always been. These companies lack the "I did it on my own" pride that is prevelant and strong in the small business community. We need to reward that spirit more often, and that alone will hit the big companies where they feel it the most.

edit on 1/22/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Absolutely, let's set up a series of boycotts. I am in.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Thoughts -

1 - They NEVER should have been bailed out to begin with. Capitalism without the fear of bankruptcy is like Christianity without the fear of hell. It doesn't work.

2 - To boycott those companies that have been bailed out, simply because they were bailed out, just hurts the USA and those that work at those companies.

3 - I say - Simply do not buy products that are inferior and make it known that you disapprove of bailouts of companies that make sloppy or poor products, or that cost too much do to unions pushing up the costs (US Auto companies). If the bailed out companies start making good products .. buy them. If they dont' ... then don't buy them.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Hey, pass it on.....

If the American public decides to shut down one major corporation per 6 month period by simply choosing to do business only with their competitors, and make it known that tis is what's going on as that one majpr corporation hits the pavement, then they will scare the living sh*t out of every other corporation left standing.

Then, they can present their bill of rights.

Simple boycotts are the way, but they have to include all subsidiaries of the parent corporation, and the parent corporation has to be the target. Just crater the entire organization, and let it all completely collapse. Once the company is targeted, Wall Street will run for the hills, and the stock will evaporate overnight. Then it'll just be going-out-of-business sales, and that'll be where the real discipline will be needed.

All those great bargains, but we'd have to remain strong. Nothing of this multi-company corporate entity can survive or the whole thing is a waste of time.

As far as jobs, the only hit for us would be low-pay retail jobs that can be replaced as competitors expand due to increased sales. No loss for us. Manufacturers in China will simply supply the other companies that get the increases in business. No loss for us at all. Just killing off predatory business entities and laying down the law for the rest of them.

It was revealed that China would collapse completely in less than a year if the US shut down its markets to the Chinese trade. It has no internal market for its own goods, and depends on us for 80% of its economy. That means that we could hurt them if they continue to screw us as well. Big American business doesn't want anyone to know that since they get rich off their partnership with the Chinese government.

It all comes down to American Corporateland, and the big companies that have crippled our ability to survive. Not China, not natural business cycles. Good old American white-guy greed.

I think a good flushing is in order.
edit on 1/22/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It would be quite ironic.

Unless you change the current regime, a boycot will entail another bailout.

Some people are quite comical when they suggest a solution.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
While it may not seam like much, as one person it is something we can do. When enough get involved it does give the company a serious wake up call.

top topics

join