It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do things just disappear? (The DOPler Effect)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The DOPler Effect, otherwise known as the Disapearing Object Phenomena is something that has been experienced by people around the world. This occurs when an object that you may use quite frequently, or object you knew the location of disapears without a trace, but may inexplicably reappear again.

It is important to first rule out the first two possibilities before things get interesting, however.

It is possible you either (1)forgot the location of the object or (2)someone else took and moved the object to another location. Seems simple enough, right? Well, that probably explains this phenomena most of the time. However it doesn't explain every occurance, and this is where things get interesting....

What explains the disapearance? For that we have to step outside the normal and into the paranormal.

1. Dimensional Shift

From a scientific standpoint, your object can shift to another dimension. That is to say, the object leaves our dimension, travels to another dimension, and then returns to ours again. Stephen Hawking’s and other scientists now support the existence of multiple universes, which means atoms can jump from one universe to another and back. This is not normal, however, and is only supported on the bleeding edge of quantum physics research.

2. Poltergeist. (Mischievous ghost)

Most are familiar with this phenomenon which has been a staple of paranormal moves and television shows for decades. Poltergeists may be mischievous ghosts that like to cause a bit of chaos in the physical realm. If they do infact exist, then it explains how your object vanished without a trace.

There are few historically significant occurrences of this phenomenon, because it is usually attributed to forgetfulness. However, there is an active thread online that chronicles these experiences:

The following link provides anecdotal evidence of 100's of accounts of this phenomenon:

amasci.com...

edit on 22-1-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think i may have a poltergeist,it keeps hiding my t.v.remote down the side of the sofa!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Poltergeists in all dimensions alike covet TV Remotes and Left Tube Socks.

I have had this experience occur for me before, with something a little different:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

LOL Ghost salad thieves,that may explain why there is no salad in my house!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Just so U know I stole ur salad.

Anyz,cool thread.First time I read about this.Real interesting

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I have objects that keep disappearing.. keys, credit cards, make-up... we found the end of the portal though : my 5 yr old daughter's Dora toy box. We planning on tying ourselves to ropes, jumping in, and seeing what happens..

SEriously Id say most of the time its our own human goofyness and others in the house moving things. I DO NOT know what the other cases are. The theories surrounding it have kid of changed over the years following the lines of the lastest paranormal movie or "docu-drama" show.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Haha, the difference is you have to eliminate all of those reasons before you can call it a true D.O.

I don't think the reasons have really changed. With no explaination, it's either a quantum effect or a paranormal occurance

Originally posted by Advantage
I have objects that keep disappearing.. keys, credit cards, make-up... we found the end of the portal though : my 5 yr old daughter's Dora toy box. We planning on tying ourselves to ropes, jumping in, and seeing what happens..

SEriously Id say most of the time its our own human goofyness and others in the house moving things. I DO NOT know what the other cases are. The theories surrounding it have kid of changed over the years following the lines of the lastest paranormal movie or "docu-drama" show.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well I can tell you that my tv remote has been MIA for over 6 months and we looked everywhere in the house for it, it's not here! Nobody would take it out of the house, since there is no reason to, it isn't a universal remote, it came with our tv and only works for ours and there isn't another like it over any of my kids' friends houses or I would assume they "borrowed" it for their tv.
I think we covered all the possibilities, now we're just left scratchiing our heads.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
First off I'd like to say that that video is absolutely incredible. I was a little skeptical about the door, at first, but that moving roll of paper towels is undeniable.

I talked about this in another thread, but it certainly pertains to this phenomenon. Last February I had an incident where something seemed to follow me home(I saw unmistakeable moving shadows in a friends house and later at home) and "cleaned up" a puddle of cat urine. Basically my cat urinated in a jacket on the floor, and when I returned with cleaning supplies it was gone. There wasn't even any moisture where the puddle was. It was unbelievable.

I suppose your inter-dimensional travel theory to be a good explanation for this mysterious disappearance. What blows my mind is that it's even possible for this occur. I suppose if shadow people are beings from an alternate dimension that they would possess the power to do these things.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Well I can tell you that my tv remote has been MIA for over 6 months and we looked everywhere in the house for it, it's not here! Nobody would take it out of the house, since there is no reason to, it isn't a universal remote, it came with our tv and only works for ours and there isn't another like it over any of my kids' friends houses or I would assume they "borrowed" it for their tv.
I think we covered all the possibilities, now we're just left scratchiing our heads.

Interesting, the only thing I can think of is the kids part you mentioned, I've noticed that if a kid breaks something, they try to hide what they did, could that be possible?

I've also put some things like a tin opener in the bin without realising, or some objects in the fridge lol. Sometimes we do things without realizing.

Still it's an interesting subject, who knows really.
edit on 22-1-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I can see where there could be actual mysterious disappearances. In my house my son's pacifiers mysteriously disappear all the time. We usually end up finding the last few we lost only after we went and purchased more. What I can't seem to fathom is how on earth a 6 month old infant can hide his pacifiers so well.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Every time I drop something on the ground, it never falls in the radius I expect it to be in. I usually find it eventually, and then I think "How in the world did you get all the way over there!?"

I have experienced items being in a place different from where I had originally placed them. I just accept it as poor memory. I don't want to hear that when you are dead the only way of amusing yourself is with lame pranks like this!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Interesting, the only thing I can think of is the kids part you mentioned, I've noticed that if a kid breaks something, they try to hide what they did, could that be possible?

I've also put some things like a tin opener in the bin without realising, or some objects in the fridge lol. Sometimes we do things without realizing.

That would make sense if we hadn't searched every nook and cranny, but we did. I am still baffled. Also in my house we found it's previous owners set of car keys he'd given up looking for and he said he checked the chair he left in the house when he sold the house to us, which we kept, which is where the keys were found right at the top. I know this cause we asked him if it was his keys, it was, and he said he had replaced them when he could not find them. Also, the same chair my son lost his wallet with $78 in it, we knew that he'd put it there on top of the cushion, but countless searches of said chair proved useless, skip ahead two full days and I am cleaning and see the side of something black poking out of the top of the cusion crack----you guessed it, it was his wallet with the $78!!!! And I am positive that I will find the remote there----eventually. I have nicknamed the chair the black hole chair...hahaahaa maybe Soundgarden will write a song about it!

edit on 23-1-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling & clarity

edit on 23-1-2011 by ldyserenity because: seem to have experienced a time shift or reality shift as a t was there at first edit disappeared after the edit, and I di not touch the t!!!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Aye, seems the most common lost objects are TV remotes and money. Sometimes I misplace things, look up and down for them and just can't find them. After awhile I give up and grab a drink or a snack then out of instinct(without thinking) walk to where it's at and find it.

As for my TV remote it has been AWOL for almost a year(luckily I just use my TV as a big computer screen, have a cable jack in my room, just seems wasteful to plug it into my tv though. Why ruin a perfectly good TV with TV station junk?lol).

P.S if you have pet's, especially cat's, they do hide stuff on you. I have to be careful where I leave my cig or lighter, money or other small objects. My cat Ruk seems to have a propensity for knocking them under the oven/frig, behind places and what not. Just remember, if stuff goes missing trying using a rational problem solving approach first, but when all else fails call Ghost Busters!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
It's called entropy.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
When I leave school, I always go through a park to get home. A few months back, I started finding weird rusty steel bars with an unknown symbol in the park. So, when I found a bar, I put it on a table, but when I find a new bar, the previous bar has just disappeared. It is nowhere, NOWHERE I tell you. I have found 3 bars for now, but I have only 1 bar at the moment.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
My girlfriend and I lived in a 900 square foot apartment. While there we lost the giant remote to her old Sony television. We looked EVERYWHERE! In the couch, under it, on top of it, on the side of it but could never find it. Well about a year later we moved to a newer town home. Upon leaving we obviously cleaned the apartment from top to bottom to avoid losing our security deposit. The remote was no where to be found. That was almost two years ago, and we still have not located it. We just bought a cheap universal remote instead.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Oh wow. I had no idea this was an actual phenomenon. I'll share a story I have shared on ATS in the past. The only time this has ever happened to me.

In high school I worked part time for my father's restaurant. Part of the uniform was a baseball cap (or hair net so obviously I chose the baseball cap lol). I had my hat, purse, and keys in hand ready to go when I heard a little 'clang' in my mother's curio cabinet.

It turns out a little souvenir piece of the Berlin wall fell off its display pedestal. No biggie. I put my things down on the dining room table behind me to fix the item. A few seconds later, I turned around. Keys: check. Purse: check. Hat: Nowhere to be found whatsoever.

Unlike the phenomenon mentioned in this thread, it never turned back up and when I arrived at work I had to buy a new one.

Kind of a silly story but it was never explained. Everything else was still there on the table but the hat never turned up.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I have always postulated that dimensional slips can occur and cause everyday objects to vanish. A particular oddity happened to me almost a decade ago. I was about eleven years old, and I was playing with one of my toys. This was in a hallway, my room was directly across from another, with both doors facing one another. The door opposite mine was closed, and I stood in the doorway, tossing my toy back and forth between hands. I dropped it, but I never heard it hit the ground. I looked down and I was surprised to see that it was not on the floor. There was not enough space for it to slide under the door to the next room, and it was not a toy that would roll either. My room was very clean at the time, and there was no furniture in the immediate area for it to bounce under. I cleaned my room thoroughly and my parents were the type who always kept a lookout for my things, and never vacuumed them up or threw them away. I never saw that toy again, ever. I wonder if this phenomena could happen to a person.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kristjankalev
When I leave school, I always go through a park to get home. A few months back, I started finding weird rusty steel bars with an unknown symbol in the park. So, when I found a bar, I put it on a table, but when I find a new bar, the previous bar has just disappeared. It is nowhere, NOWHERE I tell you. I have found 3 bars for now, but I have only 1 bar at the moment.

Mark the bar some how. And check for the same on the next bar you find. It would be funny if your found your mark on the next bar.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join