It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP! Why are Microsoft ringing me every day?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hey ATS, Somethings up. Microsoft have been ringing my home lately. The first time they said I had a virus on my computer and want me to turn it on so they could 'fix it'. There are NO viruses on my computer. But thats besides the point, this doesnt seem like there main agenda. I told them that no, my computer is fine and hung up.
Today they rang again. This time they had my full Name and address. I said I have no computer. they said they know I've got one. I didnt comfirm my name and the guy got really angry. I Hung up.

What the hell is going on??? Please help ATS!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I would say that it is NOT Microsoft that is calling you. You have something on your computer that someone wants. If they want it bad enough they will break into your house and get it. Back up eveything on your computer for starters. You may even stop using the computer in question and hide it some where. It sound crazy I know. What do you do for a living? Could it be something that you are working on they want? Maybe you downloaded something that some one wants back. It could be any number of things. It could even be some of your freinds messing with you. If it really was Microsoft that wanted into you computer that would hack in the moment you went on line. You know full well that Microsoft has back doors to there programs and can get in at anytime

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Im a nobody, I dont have anything on my computer. All I can think of is the wikileaks insurance file but millions have that. Im running a trail version of windows 7 that keeps asking me to update but theres nothing wrong with that. My first impression was its a scam. But how do they know my full name. Im a regular ATSer so its fair to say im being slightly paranoid.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Would any one you know play a joke on you like this? That my be all it is. Say something to you freinds about it and watch real close how they act and what they say. You may end up kicking one of them rear end. I know I would if one of may so called freinds played a joke like that on me.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Get rid of your home phone. It's like an open port that lets any jackass into your house.

I havent had one for 10 years. Last time I heard one ring I freaked because I forgot what that sound was lol.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

its the MIB

just kidding i have a strange thing too with the windows 7 everytime i shut the pc down he has an update to make and everiday its the same thing...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Nah theyre not like that. Plus I dont have any indian friends. I had a look through my files, I did download a couple of survival pdfs from a thread here. some where like rangers manual and urban combat etc. Me being on the border to N.Ireland and all maybe that but I seriously doubt that to be a reason. I'm leaning toward this not being microsoft, just some ripoff company trying to get credit card details. If anyone has experienced something like this that please let me know so I can stop freaking out!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by HanoverFat

Hi, it's not Microsoft, it's a scam. See here:

web.me.com...

and official MS:

social.answers.microsoft.com...

MS never ring you until you open a support ticket with them, and then they always quote that.

Next time they ring tell them to go [insert rude word here] themselves. Do not give them any information.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Here you go, does this sound familiar?
microsoft scam

Scammers are calling people up pretending to work for Microsoft in the latest social engineering hack. According to the Guardian, the scam is really simple the phone rings at someone's home, and the caller, usually with an Indian accent, asks for the householder, quoting their name and address before saying "I'm calling from Microsoft". The caller claims that Redmond has had a report from their ISP of “serious virus problems” from your computer. Read more: www.techeye.net...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Major thanks to the above two posts! Im extremely relieved! Now I can have a major freak out at them next time they try it, thanks again.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Dear me....
Why would you think microsoft was ringng you?
It's a known scam.
Just google it for heavens sake.

Edit I see this has been answered. Did you not think to check this out for yourself? I'm guessing you are very young. As an internet user, I think perhaps you need an L plate.
edit on 22-1-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FatherLukeDuke
reply to post by HanoverFat

Hi, it's not Microsoft, it's a scam. See here:

web.me.com...

and official MS:

social.answers.microsoft.com...

MS never ring you until you open a support ticket with them, and then they always quote that.

Next time they ring tell them to go [insert rude word here] themselves. Do not give them any information.

Was just going to post that it's a scam, you beat me to it.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Ok yea I get it thanks. Whats wrong with using ATS to get some answers? Of course you're right, I should have checked it up on my own first. I'll remember next time.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Next time they call record them. Ask for the persons name and tell them they will assume full commercial liability ever time you have to answer the phone. Tell them they are being recorded and that for every minute you have to spend on the phone with them it will cost them $100. Tell them for wasting your time you will send them a bill. If they keep calling you can legally do this if you play your cards right.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by HanoverFat
Major thanks to the above two posts! Im extremely relieved! Now I can have a major freak out at them next time they try it, thanks again.

i had a similar phone call ... asking me all sort of weird survey question .. and then at the end .. she wanted all my personnal info.. but i give them nothing .. i have politly answer the first questions that were not really important
when i told her that i will not go further .. she had a weird angry reaction
if it was a survey .. why would she need all my personnal info...she had my phone and i answered he stupid survey question about when was the last time i was out of the country .. wtf

there is many scam on the phone .. be always skeptic
especially a microsoft phone telling you about a computer virus .. they should try a better reason
that would never work on me
but the survey one almost got me lol

EDIT
they call you everyday ???? do you have the incoming number on your phone screen ??

edit on 1/22/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Seems to be a scam but what's really worrying is that these scammers have your name, address and phone number. How did they get that I wonder?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Hey that's a bit harsh, personally I think that ATS is a great first port of call, you can get direct opinions and personal experience that can be more reliable and trustworthy than a random google search. It's a great place to ask for help, and I don't think that people deserve belittling because they choose to use different methods to yourself.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by WorstCaseScenario
Seems to be a scam but what's really worrying is that these scammers have your name, address and phone number. How did they get that I wonder?

They use a tool called The Phonebook??

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Originally posted by WorstCaseScenario

They use a tool called The Phonebook??

Ah, you beat me to it... I've used the phonebook to make many prank calls sound official... Unless he's unlisted, that would be a scarier... Although, a reverse look up of the number you were about to dial could also get you the information.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join