It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Americans so scared of?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
In the last couple of days one can not help but notice the large number of U.S citizens who seem to be genuinely worried and in some cases seemingly scared of China. What is this fear? Is it a fear of China?
Or is it a fear of not knowing where Americas place will be in the comeing years ahead?
edit on 22-1-2011 by Rocketman1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It's simply a fear of how powerful China is getting and how cut-throat they are. Mostly, though, it's the suspicion that China could come over here and start slaughtering people, and people in other countries would laugh. All the anti-Americanism I see in these threads, I can hardly help but have them.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Do you not think China is a rather strange country ? admittedly so are UK and USA but China is a country I would not visit , theyre citizens are opressed incredibly by the authorities . Unfortunately our countries will eventually all be like this , also remember a helll of a lot of goods in USA are imported from China which has an adverse effect on the US economy . Just my humble thoughts .
P E A C E

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman1

For me it's not fear but the recognition of a threat. And, for me, this is not new news. For a lot of people it is new news only because the MSM is drumming up fear of it.

The reason it is a threat to me is because of the documented human rights record of the Chinese government. Surely you know of this, right?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I believe the US and China will be in a war in the next 20 years. Our relationship now mirrors that of pre-ww2 Japan and America. Extreme interdependance economically, but with diverging goals.

China has two opposing factions in control, much as the Japanese had.

If the military faction wins out, we will be at war.
edit on 22-1-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I do not see how their human rights issues are a threat to the U.S, during the war on terror America has worked with countrys who have very questionable human rights.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman1

I do not see how their human rights issues are a threat to the U.S, during the war on terror America has worked with countrys who have very questionable human rights.

The Chinese virtually own the United States now. Recognizing this fact is key in understanding why Americans feel the way they do because Americans, contrary to popular opinion, are smart enough to understand that whoever holds the pursestrings wields the true power. Do you not see how the threat of economic collapse by the Chinese government could/does affect our "leaders'" ability to make decisions based solely on what is good for the U.S.?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The answer is simple... The US always needs an "enemy" or a boogie man to tell it's people to fear. It's simple as that... Want to do anything you want and not have anyone question it? Make people scared, then impose the solution...

It worked for Korea, Vietnam, the cold war, 1st gulf war, Afghanistan, Iraq, and is working wonders for the great "terrorist threat" lie...

That's why people fear China... They are told to, and for no reason.

Magnum

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
The answer is simple... The US always needs an "enemy" or a boogie man to tell it's people to fear. It's simple as that... Want to do anything you want and not have anyone question it? Make people scared, then impose the solution...

It worked for Korea, Vietnam, the cold war, 1st gulf war, Afghanistan, Iraq, and is working wonders for the great "terrorist threat" lie...

That's why people fear China... They are told to, and for no reason.

Magnum

While I do agree that you are mostly correct, I do believe there is a difference when it comes to China. There really is a threat from them, albeit a threat that we made ourselves through our own lack of honest leadership.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

By threat do you mean not being number 1 anymore? Because that is how it seems. And no matter how powerfull China get they still will not be bigger than NATO. They also have very patchy relations with Russia and India who are doing some very interesting co-operation on Millitary matters, which as a brit i dont mind because the UK-India relationship is special.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

What are Americans so scared of?

I think it is not so much being scared as it is being angry.

The anger grows from a government that has gleefully, if not blindly walked into globalism that allowed our own industrial plant to flee to a communist dictatorship and use that nation's population is basic slave labor.

The anger is further aggravated because even though this huge mistake is now obvious, it does nothing to either accept the truth of the situation, admit its mistakes or attempt to correct it.

The anger is then compounded because... due to the west sending their economy to China, that communist nation has now evolved into a superpower that could easily supplant the vacuum left by the former Soviet Union, as a threat to freedom across the globe.

The US and Europe have endured two World Wars in order to preserve democracy... now only to have that treasure slowly eroded by the globalist/corporate hegemony... otherwise known as the NWO.

Scared? No, not really. Pissed off? Completely.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'm sure there is a certain level of fear among those who are less than knowledgeable of world history. IMHO the world is just returning to a "Multi-Polar" world. I feel too many here at ATS are either too young to remember or simply are unaware [ignorant] of the historical reality of how potentially dangerous a multi-polar world really can be.

It doesn't mean the US, Russia and or China will kick off WW-III by fighting each other but it could possibly be set off by smaller nuclear armed nations between themselves. The US, Russia and China do have a good track record of preventing the Big one from kicking off.

It's an unknown....

People fear the unknown. They always have. Many Americans have had the delusion of being in charge of their lives, but the reality is that most of us are and have been just along for the ride anyways. Also I might add it's not just "The American" there are a very large percentage of non Americans globally who are raising concerns. Like it or not the US has been able to create a certain level of Global homogeneity. The EU, Japan and our other global "Allies" Know the American and how we've had our political dirty laundry exposed for not just Americans but everybody abroad in their countries to admire, scoff or hate.

Which has had an impact on our policies, Good, Bad or Indifferently...

However China's internal politics are and have been largely closed off to outside opinion and influence and they absolutely hate being scoffed and critiqued.

Does this mean the New Landlord will be able to influence the globe in a similar manner? It will certainly be interesting to watch how this will unfold. I'm not fearful. I understand the historical context and examples we have seen in recent history. The Soviet Union collapsed yet Russia still stands. Why? Because they had a large Nuclear stockpile. For those who are either chomping at the bit waiting for the demise of the US or for those who have not educated themselves and fear an American Implosion. Tough luck. It aint going to happen....

Can US companies compete, thrive and grow being #2?

Yes.

All I have to do is look to the last century. Japan and Germany were totally and completely smashed beyond belief. Their infrastructure and financial institutions were in tatters and were in a much much worse off position than anything the US is or will be in.

Yet they came back in only a matter of decades to become economic powerhouses.

My $ .02

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yep that is it in a nutshell my friend but unfortunately the ignorant can hold sway and influence the situation.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I thought this would shed some light on the topic.

President Barack Obama & China'sPresident Hu Address U.S. & Chinese Business Leaders / January 19, 2011 / Watch this video and others like it in hi-res at SCVTV.com

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Here is Obamas spin with regards to the latest meeting......

edit on 22-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I really couldn't tell you. I was pondering the question in general just today "what are Americans afraid of?" - but as I said, in general, not specifically related to China. Matter of fact, China never even came to mind in my musing. It's only now that I see a "Fear of China" being asserted.

Americans are afraid of China? I'm with you, and have to ask myself WHY? I've seen Martin Yan on PBS, and so know for fact and without any doubt that China is full of fluffy bunnies in colorful ethnic costumes - who can COOK!

Nothing I can see THERE to be skeert of!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
while some people may be afraid of China, for reasons that may or may not be substantiated, I think the fear among others is not so much of China but of the federal government's love of China.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

We really don't fear China. We fear being an owned asset of the Chinese people. Don't get me wrong, i think a lot of the people of China. I really, really,
don't care for the leaders of China. If a few million die, here or there they don't care. There is a reason that Chinese people who move to the US don't trust the government or policemen. Back home those are the thieves, and murderers. Really we aren't that scared of China, we are scared that they will push us to the brink the way the old USSR almost did. Because the overall destruction we would bring on China in a war, would destroy us as well, and probably turn this planet into a toxic waste dump that alien civilizations will study in school as what not to do.

new topics

top topics

join