It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL Running Back: ‘Every Team’ Made Fun of Me for Being White

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

True even the gentleman's sport of Cricket has trash talking mostly about wives, GF and even mothers on the pitch. It is a method of destablising the other team to play badly. I don't think it is right but given the big payouts and the perfomance pressure on sportsmen it is going to happen.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

A silly point? You mean a point derived directly from all of the actually intelligent thought about racism that has been put forward so far? I suppose several decades of scholars are a silly lot.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
You mean a point derived directly from all of the actually intelligent thought about racism that has been put forward so far? I suppose several decades of scholars are a silly lot.

Well, if it's a scholarly opinion to suggest that one man's problems with continuous racial taunts is just not a problem because more people aren't experiencing it, their school sucks.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

You continue to ignore what I've actually said, you know. I never denied that it was a problem. But it's only his problem. We should be concerned for him only insofar as we are concerned for the suffering of another human being; it's not a Racism Problem as such.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

You continue to ignore what I've actually said, you know. I never denied that it was a problem. But it's only his problem. We should be concerned for him only insofar as we are concerned for the suffering of another human being; it's not a Racism Problem as such.

Sure it's a racism problem. And it's not just his problem, it's a problem for everyone.

Any time one person denigrates a person because of their skin color, that's racism. And it doesn't matter who is doing it to whom. Why is it ok for Blacks to call each other n*****, and call whites honky or cracker? It's a double standard.

Just check out Topix.com in the African American forum, and you will see what I mean. When I accidentally went there following a link about black men in Hollywood, woo hoo!!!! Was I shocked! Some of the most racist statements I have ever read were being made about every race: White, Asian, Black, even which Asians or Blacks are "better than" others depending on which culture they came from.

I mean, I have had plenty of black friends in my life, and I was really surprised to learn that more racism was being dealt out towards each other than being received from whites. Because society lets it slide instead of calling it out, it's ok for Blacks to be racist toward each other, AND whites.

Heck, one of my black co-workers told another white co-worker that she could get away with wearing a certain item of clothing because she was black!!! Even other black co-workers that heard her comment thought she crossed the line.

The white co-worker complained to management, because if she had made that statement to the black co-worker, she would have been fired! But nothing was done to the black co-worker. At the very least that was discrimination on the part of the company. Discrimination towards the white employee. The same black co-worker told me going to the library was a "white persons' thing". What??? What would have happened to me if I would have made a similar statement to her? I called her out on her statement to me, and didn't let her get away with it. I don't let people get away with making racist statements around me, black, white or whatever.

I was told a lot of things by my black friends that showed me that racism against blacks BY BLACKS was pretty common. You could tell that it was common practice because of how casually statements were made about black people with lighter/blacker skin, hair grades, etc. I mean, I didn't even know about hair grades until being told by one of my very good friends, and she told me she constantly was getting grief about her hair because it was a very good grade of hair, and other women were jealous!

How can people decry racism against themselves and be taken seriously when they do the same things against other races AND themselves?

All of you people who think this player is boo-hooing for no reason should think about how you would feel if this story came out and it was a black player saying this.

Why is it any different? It still perpetuates a behavior that has no place in today's society.

We need to start looking at people as individuals.

Believe me, if I don't like you, it's not because of skin color, it's because of your individual actions.

edit on 23-1-2011 by sezsue because: spelling

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Boo. Hoo. Hoo. Big deal.

... and so if a black skinned NHL hockey player gets blasted with racial rhetoric every time he gets on the ice, in a professional sport that is mostly made up of non-blacks, we should all say BOO HOO HOO BIG DEAL?? I dont' think so. BTW ... The NHL players talk trash all the time and get into the real 'manly man' fights on the ice all the time, but they don't tolerate racial hate language.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Just a side note ... comparing the NHL with the NFL ...

African American Hockey Players in the NHL

To its credit, the NHL has taken an active role in promoting diversity throughout the league. Each player is required to enroll in a diversity training seminar before the beginning of each season. Trash-talking is an ugly side effect of almost all athletic competition, but the league has made it clear through suspensions and fines that any racially-motivated verbal abuse will not be tolerated

This article talks about fans abusing the players .. talking crap .. but the players themselves are NOT to engage in raacial verbal abuse when talking trash. The players do talk trash .. it's hockey afterall .. but they do NOT engage in racial abuse. Perhaps the NFL should take note ...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

If you can, try to record some of these interactions with your phone (if it has that capability). In the State of Missouri, only one party must know they are being recorded, which you will know. Thus, you do not have to inform them that you're recording the conversation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join