It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL Running Back: ‘Every Team’ Made Fun of Me for Being White

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Huffington Post - Peyton Hillis Claims He Was Taunted For Being A White Running Back
"claims" .. okay.

NFL Running Back Taunted For Being White

“Every team did it,” Hillis said. “They’ll say, ‘You white boy, you ain’t gonna run on us today. This is ridiculous. Why are you giving offensive linemen the ball?’

He went on to give examples of the nicknames he heard throughout the season. Patrick said his favorite was “The Avalanche.” “I heard that one,” Hillis replied. “I heard ‘White Rhino.’ I heard … Chuck Norris.’

Peyton Hillis said that he would 'eat it up' and make it motivate him. He hated it so much that it burned a fire in him which made him play better. He learned to like the hate (better play motivation) it caused (that's my psychology degree talking - not the article). For more on this read the Sports Illustrated article IRL.

I'm not surprised this comes from NBC. :shk:
NBC - Was Peyton Hillis Subjected to Reverse Racism for Being a White Running Back? He thinks so

Seriously, how else would you try and put down the guy? “Your gargantuan biceps make you look like you could maybe kill the Predator!” “HA! You couldn’t even beat out Darren McFadden and Felix Jones at Arkansas! WHAT A SCHLUB!” “You’re going to look so stupid when your hairline recedes in 20 years!” “YOU HAVE BAD CUTICLES!”

So .. Mr. Josiah Schlatter of NBC ... if a black player were on the field and he was being taunted about his race at every game he went to, would you say 'seriously, how else would you try to put down the guy?' If shouts of the N-word were hurled at him; comments about his ancestors; comparisons of him to black things in life .. like poop, etc' ... would that be okay because 'how else would you try to put down the guy?' .. right??

I get that football players are supposed to be tough manly-men.
But I think that the brush off of this is wrong.
Peyton Hillis has taken a bad thing and made it work for him.
But that doesn't change the fact that it is still bad and HATE directed against him for his race.
And that doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't be brushed off like it is.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
But, see, racism against him is okay because he's white. And since his ancestors were (presumably) oppressors of all non-whites, he deserves it. /sarcasm

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
But, see, racism against him is okay because he's white. And since his ancestors were (presumably) oppressors of all non-whites, he deserves it. /sarcasm

Exactly. I do not know about american football, but you can bet it goes on. Good for him if it motivates him.

How come reverse racism, is not just racism?
edit on 1/22/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
And that doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't be brushed off like it is.

It shouldn't be brushed off only because the reverse wouldn't be brushed off. In all honesty, they BOTH should be brushed off, in my opinion.

Letting it motivate is the correct response regardless of if it's black on white or white on black.
edit on 22/1/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I suspect this will turn into some heated debating however it seems normal these days for black or any other race to make fun of white people especially on tv and in the movies...cracker is thrown around quite liberally from the opposite races in sitcoms. You often see now on some all black shows that the token white person will be more often than not the butt of jokes. It's an observation folks so don't get your undies in a bunch..I think eventually enough people will be offended by the racism where it becomes an issue but I would love to see the ACLU or Jesse Jackson get involved in this...I suspect they wont...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I'm not surprised this comes from NBC. :shk:
NBC - Was Peyton Hillis Subjected to Reverse Racism for Being a White Running Back? He thinks so

Seriously, how else would you try and put down the guy?

Why are they trying to put him down anyway? Because of his skin's melanin content?
Where were the coaches during all of this?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Race taunting is wrong no matter who does it.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
What exactly is reverse racism? Are Whites the only racists? They make it sound like it is less severe. Racism is racism. Why is it when it is towards a white it is reverse? Man we are beyond fooked up in this Country.

How about reverse Government, can we say that?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Now had white guys said racist stuff to a black running back, which I am sure happens also, Jesse Jackson would have lobbied to have the NFL disbanded. Blacks are more racist than whites IMO, and it only got worse once Obama was elected. Again, just my opinion. Being from Cleveland, I hope the black players in the league continue to "inspire" Peyton Hillis with their racist taunts. The guy is a beast to bring down and it's fun watching him run through opposing defenders.

When are the black people in this country going to realize that they have far more rights than any white man or woman? Their open racism is tolerated--shows like In Living Color, blatant racism on that show. BET, if we had a network called WET they would cry foul.

Allow me to quote Dave Chappelle, "We're fightin' the war aginst Al Qaeda, we should be fightin' the war against Al Sharpton."

Seriously though. The racism from both sides needs to stop.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I know how he feels, I'm part Celtic and Native American, but I look white. I work in a predominately black job, and have had to endure the white race is evil speech on a regular basis. I have been told they don't like me because of my talent level and because of competition for the females we work with. I have been repeatedly threatened, harassed, and made fun of. There is no justice because if something is seen like by the director of the department I work in, the blacks line up based on race with there written statements.

I find it odd that simple things like management changing the channel of the piped in music ends up as a racial issue. "This is our music" with a prideful smile, even the littlest of things can be very uncomfortable.

Anyway I'm biding my time and taking notes and soon when I do look for another job and once I'm done I am going to attempt to sue the company for creating and allowing such a hostel work environment, I doubt I will win, but so far there have been 4 situations where statements were made where I have been outright threatened over nothing in the last 8 months.

Because Im a talented white person in a all black environment.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

In time all racists will go the way of the Dodo. I know what it is like to use it as additionl motivation. Most successful black people know this strategy and have used it to soar..

here is another intersting thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not to mention the 12 or so threads where people were arguing for the right to use the N word last year alone. As if N-word usage is a money spinner or guarantee of success... Go figure.
edit on 22-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2011 by tiger5 because: typo

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Not saying this is OK or that I approve and we should teach kids to do it, but just about every player in the NFL was made fun of, disrespected for being slow, and not playing well, and being ugly and had his parentage questioned ... it probably happened all through college and in High school too. link link2, ...so how much of this is "racism" and how much is just normal football/basketball/baseball stuff ...I bet alot of us have been on multiracial teams and played against them, are you really clutching your hand to your chest staggering around after reading this and yelling "racism"? I bet the answer is heavily weighted to "no" .

I am not saying here that there is not a double standard on the "N"word, that society (whites blacks everyone) is a little crazy about it and everyone is very fuzzy on the "rules" of its use (ok for rappers, actors on TV, ok on the field or classroom for blacks only, not ok for black politicians, whites, hispanics, Huck Finn, etc. etc.) - & heaven help the white man who crossess that hard to find always moving invisible line.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Landru
are you really clutching your hand to your chest staggering around after reading this and yelling "racism"? I bet the answer is heavily weighted to "no" .

I'm yelling racism .. but I'm not clutching my hand to my chest and staggering around.
Well ... not because of reading this anyays. The 'staggering around' thing is because my
legs are numbish from the neuropathy.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I'm still scratching my head on the name itself. PEYTON
from my growing up it was a girl's name...

Meaning and origin
Peyton is a English mixed name. The meaning of the name is `from the fighter's farm`.

Where is it used?
The name Peyton is mainly used in English.

How do they say it elsewhere?
Payton (In English)

What Peyton`s say about their name

The best thing about the name Peyton:
its unique! I always get compliments on my name. . .
The worst thing about the name:
I'm constantly mixed up because there are so many guys with my name as well
If my name wasn`t Peyton....:
It would be Emma.
Extra information:

The best thing about the name Peyton:
It's cool because I'm the only 15 year old boy in my area with the name. cool!
The worst thing about the name:
Girls are starting to have the name. It means Patrick in Scottish... when my mom looked it up in 1992.
If my name wasn`t Peyton....:

Extra information:
it's Scottish for Patrick. A boys name.

source: www.i-am-pregnant.com

but i guess the girl that had the Peyton 1st name was the oddity. because all i come across is Peyton
is a male name
i guess Peyton' gained acceptance with the Manning fooball QB being named Peyton

ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Peyton derives from the English surname “Payton,” which stems from the location name “Payton” in Devon, England. The name is thought to originally mean “Pœga's town” as it is a combination of the Anglo-Saxon name “Paegan” and the Old English “tun” meaning “town,” “settlement” or “village.” A Scottish form of Payton is “Paden.”

POPULARITY
According to the 1990 United States Census, Peyton ranked as the 3,749th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names three decades since 1880, including the two most recent ones, and in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names two decades since 1880, including the two most recent ones. In the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 300 most popular boys' names every year from 2000 (183rd) through 2006 (154th).

United States Popularity of the boy's name Peyton in the 21st Century:

•Year: 2006 Rank:154th
•Year: 2005 Rank:138th
•Year: 2004 Rank:162nd
•Year: 2003 Rank:207th
•Year: 2002 Rank:205th
•Year: 2001 Rank:177th
•Year: 2000 Rank:183rd
Additionally, in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 200 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (168th) through 2006 (138th).

United States Popularity of the girl's name Peyton in the 21st Century:

•Year: 2006 Rank:138th
•Year: 2005 Rank:130th
•Year: 2004 Rank:134th
•Year: 2003 Rank:192nd
•Year: 2002 Rank:188th
•Year: 2001 Rank:174th
•Year: 2000 Rank:168th

source: wiki.name.com...

hey, live and learn
(my christian birth name was Victoras) so i cast no darts at Peyton

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Wikipedia isn't the best source, but here it is. You can see Peyton Hillis' record and the list of teams he's played on, etc etc ... Wikipedia - Peyton Hillis For anyone interested.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Boo. Hoo. Hoo. Big deal. As if his skin tone didn't quietly get him every other advantage their possibly was, and as if the same attitude has never been perpetrated towards black players. And as if being called "Chuck Norris" is really going to light a hateful passion in his heart.

And there's no such thing as "Reverse" racism. It would all be racism. And hell, this is kind of racism. But it's one man's problem, not something we should all be getting in on. If this were institutional and all white players were denegrated, then yeah, there'd be a problem. This guy just needs to deal with this crap on his own.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
And hell, this is kind of racism. But it's one man's problem, not something we should all be getting in on. If this were institutional and all white players were denegrated, then yeah, there'd be a problem. This guy just needs to deal with this crap on his own.

So you're saying that it's not a problem unless more people experience it? What's the magic number of victims required to make racism a problem?

Does this apply to other crimes too? Sure, it's murder, but it's just one man's problem. It's not like ALL people are being murdered. Just deal with it.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Oh come on. Political correctness in football?

Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United coach) said recently in an interview that he's had to deal with players CRYING in the locker room after soccer games.

In his words "In Bobby Charlton's day you'd never have seen ANYONE crying, it's ridiculous that professional athletes would CRY after a game".

And he's right. Same in American football. Political Correctness is gonna be the death of us all. Can't take the trash talk? Don't play. Period. Obviously this white player didn't have any problem with being called names, why should we have a problem with him being called names?

Get over it, and grow a pair.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

And hell, this is kind of racism. But it's one man's problem, not something we should all be getting in on. If this were institutional and all white players were denegrated, then yeah, there'd be a problem. This guy just needs to deal with this crap on his own.

So you're saying that it's not a problem unless more people experience it? What's the magic number of victims required to make racism a problem?

Kind of, but not quite. At this point, it is a problem -- but his problem alone. The only time we should become concerned as a group about racism is when it affects large swaths of people. There is no "magic number." That's identical to asking "How many grains of sand in a pile." If you've got any sight, you know when sand becomes a pile.

Does this apply to other crimes too? Sure, it's murder, but it's just one man's problem. It's not like ALL people are being murdered. Just deal with it.

Gosh, that analogy was so apt in every possible way. Because the personal harm that one man experiences from being called "white boy" is entirely comparable to the cessation of a man's entire life by force. Yep, you win this argument.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Yep, you win this argument.

I knew I would.
A silly point deserves a silly analogy. Glad you enjoyed.

<<   2 >>

join