It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Histrionic Personality Disorder: Dramatic Behavior.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7fca3fa84e3.jpg[/atsimg]

Histrionic Personality Disorder

I decided to do a thread on this disorder because I had just began learning about it, and I haven't came across many people who have ever even heard of it. Its a real disorder that effects many people so I wanted to get the information out there.

Histrionic Disorder is in a class of "Dramatic Personality Disorders." The word itself meaning "Dramatic or Theatrical." Those with the condition have very twisted self image of themselves,and very unstable and intense emotions. Usually with a Histrionic, they're self esteem stems from the approval of others. They are in constant need of being noticed, and over dramatize anything in life that happens. Histrionics have very good social skills, but they use it to manipulate others to be center of attention.

Characteristics include:

- Tends to get uncomfortable unless they are center of attention

- Dresses provocatively.

- Swift changes in emotions.

- Excessive dramatics, like crying uncontrollable at a movie, or hugging someone they have just met.

- Extreme sensitivity to any kind of criticism or disapproval.

- Spends too much time on physical appearance, obsessively.

- Gullible and influenced easily by others.

- Gets frustrated very easily.

- Makes split and rash decisions.

- Self Centered and rarely has concern for others.

Histrionics also have a very hard time with relationships, often dramatizing losses like break-up's. They often believe a relationship is more intimate that it really is, making up false information. They get attached very easily and have a hard time letting go of the relationship when it's over.

Depression is a problem with Histrionics, failed relationships; boredom, and low frustration levels all contribute to there well being. Substance and Alcohol abuse is common because of there need to seek new and risky behavior.

Causes:

Its still unknown what exactly causes this disorder, but events in childhood such as parents divorcing, deaths in the family, illnesses and genetics are all believed to be a contributing factor. Also lack of punishment as a child or lack of lack of criticism may help in the aid of the disorder.

Treatments:

Its very hard to get a Histrionic to come to terms with getting help or even recognizing they need it. From exaggerating feelings to disliking routine, its hard for them to even maintain treatment if they do seek it. Psychotherapy is the most popular form of help for them, helping uncover fears associated with their thoughts and help them learn to relate to people in a more positive way.

I found a very good article on Psychology Today that explains alot.
www.psychologytoday.com...

my.clevelandclinic.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
my.clevelandclinic.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Interesting. I don't know anybody like that these days but recall people like this from way back, but that's teenage and school years.

This behavior covers a lot of teenage females, but to diagnose someone or something based on this description because of teenage bull# wouldn't be considered ethical I imagine. Well, I would hope not.
I can't think of anyone now who is that way but I probably wouldn't know them long if I did. I do know liars and manipulators though. I've worked with a lot of them. Jealous types with esteem problems who play up to people... but I can't think of anyone around me now with these issues.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

That order for me describes everyone out there, except me and a small percentage i would reckon. I think the media plays alot into this.

Just glad for one i have no social skills, or do i want them, for people are beyond a joke.

Interesting thread.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

I think alot of you do this, and especially gov and police whose job it is to make mountains out of molehills.

CX

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Questions i'd like to know are....

When did they decide this was a disorder, what area of mental health does this now stick you under and how much are they charging for the meds.

I'm not belittling it, but theres a very fine line between this and many people out there who just need to get over themselves.

Then again thats the same with many disorders. Some are classed as behavioural disorders, others will see it as bad upbringing.

Interesting though, thanks for posting.

I can see a lot of Lady Gaga fans suddenly wanting this.

CX.
edit on 22/1/11 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Just as a note.

The word hysteria, shares the same root word as hysterectomy because is was thought to be something that only women ever suffered from and was caused by the womb moving around the body causing women to act irrationally.

I'm not even making it up either

Histrionic personality disorder shares a divergent history with conversion disorder and somatization disorder. Historically, they are linked to the ancient notion of hysteria, or "wandering womb

wiki

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by ChaosMagician

I think alot of you do this, and especially gov and police whose job it is to make mountains out of molehills.

Say "you" about someone you know.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

When did they decide this was a disorder, what area of mental health does this now stick you under and how much are they charging for the meds.

My mother in law has this disorder. Though I'd like to think it's not real, it is, and I don't even think there are meds for it. It's near impossible for someone with this disorder to be convinced that they have any problem worth addressing with psychiatry anyway.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My sister most definitely has this disorder. Her greatest weapon is the victim mentality. Every few months she has a new collection of friends because her old friends identify her for who she really is and ends up being pushed away. She is a smoker, alcoholic, and drug abuser. The amount of shoes and makeup she owns is completely ludicrous. She is always dressed up and ready to be the center of the world. She's married, but they are always fighting, despite the fact that she can't identify how miserable her relationship is and won't divorce him. Her husband is deluded into thinking she's his soul mate. Soul mates don't scream at each other and throw dishes across rooms.

She is always throwing a party on some weekend. She is the center of that party. If attention is drawn away from her, she gets really crappy with the people around her to the point of extreme blood drawing violence if she's really drunk. She believes that family is "required" to help her no matter the reason. Even to the point of buying her groceries and paying her bills for her, though she refuses to cut down on her vices for these seemingly unimportant necessities in life... like paying your rent. I just recently let her go this past august and haven't seen her or her husband since. After 30 years of being a part of her life, I have concluded that she can't be helped.

It disturbs me to now realize that I hate her very much and that I feel incredibly satisfied in the thought that I will never see her again.

This condition is very real to me.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Yeah but, the --good-- thing you (OP) left out about HPD is, this disorder gets you invited on reality TV shows, like Jersey Shore and those desperate Housewives travesties.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Questions i'd like to know are....

I'm not belittling it, but theres a very fine line between this and many people out there who just need to get over themselves.

Then again thats the same with many disorders. Some are classed as behavioural disorders, others will see it as bad upbringing.

Interesting though, thanks for posting.

I can see a lot of Lady Gaga fans suddenly wanting this.

CX.
edit on 22/1/11 by CX because: (no reason given)

Pardon the histrionics, but I love you for stating the obvious.

I've met some of the lady gaga cult of personalities. You are so spot on. People do need to get over themselves. One could also link this behavior to sociopaths.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

This has been more or less a recognized disorder for all of human history. The Greeks knew it as hysteria. Most of the patients Freud wrote about suffered from hysteria. As for treatment, as with most personality disorders, there is no real treatment. It's not a disorder like depression that comes on suddenly. It is something that is ingrained into their very being.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
In the reality of the mental health establishment, the differential diagnosis for HPD also includes Borderline Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Most people that present on the inpatient level tend to have a presenting Axis-I disorder, and (if present) Axis-II is usually first diagnosed as "X Personality Traits".

Only after personality assessment and a very careful history can you make any conclusive statements about a definitive personality disorder. I've seen folks diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder on Axis I, and then Antisocial Personality Disorder with Histrionic and Narcissistic Traits on Axis II. Clinicians must be very careful because an Axis-II diagnosis tends to follow a person around for the remainder of their treatment experience, which can negatively influence the expectations of caregivers.

To confuse matters even more, someone can meet every diagnostic criteria for the disorder EXCEPT "...causes significant impairment and distress"-- and they cannot be diagnosed with it (at least according to DSM-IV-TR criteria).

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think my mom was pretty much HPD until she had a hysterectomy and was given artificial hormones. After that she mellowed out a whole lot. So it seems hormonal imbalances may be at the root of this disorder in some instances.

Oh ya and I've known some women who definitely had HPD. They definitely are narcissistic as well, but also hold a lot of guilt for being like this. It's tragic. They are very broken inside. One girl in particular had a somewhat recovered heroine addicted mother and an incestuous father. This girl learned to channel her high stress levels into creativity for the most part, but also was a bloody wreck and psychophagic in other instances. To put it bluntly, don't try and interact with these people unless you're very, very strong minded and are willing to be taken advantage of to the extreme. If you're somewhat instable yourself, stay the hell away from these people. They will eat your soul and spit it out all over babies. I'm not kidding.
edit on 22-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Thank-you for the information here. I didn't know that such a disorder occurred.
As sad as that must be, I would rather have a Histrionic personality than a Narcissist one.

Then again, in today's world don't we all have a disorder of one kind or another?

* An obvious self-focus in interpersonal exchanges
* Problems in sustaining satisfying relationships
* A lack of psychological awareness
* Difficulty with empathy
* Problems distinguishing the self from others
* Hypersensitivity to any sleights or imagined insults
* Vulnerability to shame rather than guilt
* Haughty body language
* Flattery towards people who admire and affirm him or her
* Detesting those who do not admire him or her
* Using other people without considering the cost to them of his or her doing so
* Pretending to be more important than he or she is
* Bragging (subtly but persistently) and exaggerating his or her achievements
* Claiming to be an "expert" at most things
* Inability to view the world from the perspective of other people
* Denial of remorse and gratitude

source

people in glass houses and all that....

with respect..

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Great post!
You forgot to mention lying about everything. Even things that noone really cares about.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by locster

edit on 22-1-2011 by Jess_Undefined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Not sure the point you were trying to make here?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined

Not sure the point you were trying to make here?

He herped your derp?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by locster

Riiiight

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join