It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critical thinking

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
What scares me is that this thread has had so little attention here yet a lack of critical thinking is now a clear and present danger. Many university grads will go on to have key roles in the upper escheleons of society in a decade or so. What does the future look like now?
edit on 23-1-2011 by tiger5 because: add a sentence

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood
And that is why despite what they say - $ billions are being spent to make kids dumber and dumber - it is what the NWO wants and it is not an accident!

Same goes for the wars on drugs, terrorism, illegal immigration, inner city crime - they set all of this up
to achieve the results that they want and then feign incompetence when they achieve the opposite of what they say.

The beauty of it is that all they needed to do was set the CIA up to be incompetent - and the KGB did most of the rest via decades of cultural sabotage.

It's like you read my mind. I was going to say that this is all done by design. I am older than most here and was taught to think critically (as well as make an effort at proper spelling and Grammar), but when I talk to most high school kids, they just echo what they hear on CNN and FOX, and couldn't care less about the impression they make with their undecipherable writing.

God, I sound like Grandpa Simpson!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
What scares me is that this thread has had so little attention here yet a lack of critical thinking is now a clear and present danger. Many university grads will go on to have key roles in the upper escheleons of society in a decade or so. What does the future look like now?

as we have all heard and know, history repeats itself... this all comes down to class wars by this reasoning quoted above. It is the meek who have the knowledge of how to fix the machines (like in one of them Matrix movies) the upper echelons choose to throw us into another dark ages to curb the population the so be it, I am ready... I know how to build a fire and survive. I believe also sometimes that history does not repeat itself, I think sometimes now is a different time where we have alot of different things at our disposal, I feel one main thing is that the truth is actually free now and has been only the last few hundred years... look what was accomplished in this short time comparing histories stage and time it takes to get things done... there are some who would even claim that the free truth of what makes the human even spawned the industrial revolution, which in turn landed us here in this new information age.

the future is so bright, sometimes I just gotta wear shades

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by jlv70

Is it so impossible to separate faith from governance?

in a sense yes it is... faith for many including in my country are our core values, faith in all that is true, just, caring and loving is a good trait to have when in my country it is we the people who rule and elect our leaders.

I am not quite sure if I see a separation of the common man in most of our government yet, but I have seen a large swell of red over taking the blue in the midterms... the cycle within the cycle begins again.

hopefully this time just as the past 200 or so years we can keep it going... the system I think sometimes is designed this way, truth will prevail.

edit on 1/23/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

I sincerely hope so but what of the sheeple who make up the masses? Will the wake up to their lack of critical thinking? I remember when the working class grabbed education for dear life but in the pre-digested MTV and online gaming era what now?

The first thing that happens in right or left revolutions is they kill the intellectuals. Sadly that means you and possibly me

Interestingly ATS is one area of education which is cause for some hope.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

either way I hold no fear... there are many of ways of looking at things, I never excuse the gut-instinct.

I am not intellectual at all as defined by some, do I myself feel I hold any wisdom ? I only know that I can build a fire and fix peoples cars.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
In truth, 'critical thinking' is nothing complex. It is relative simple.

The principle is to ALWAYS 'think' before and after each action, regardless if it is our work we do, the relations we deal with, or the stuff we read, DAILY, and NEVER, ever allow another to do the thinking for us. For if this is the way where others do the thinking for us, then we are no more than sheeps.

How to critically think then?

Everyone of us are educated, at least with a minimum of up to high school levels, thus thinking is nothing complex or something that only rocket scientist are capable of. We use our minds, based upon what we had been taught and experieced over the years in life to apply 'rational' and 'logical' sense to whatever that appears before us, for nothing is ever what it seems at first glance.

Therefore, it is my fervant hope every human would apply critical thinking. Even on this post, AND NEVER ALLOW anyone else to do the thinking for you, either sweetly in CON vincing ways or AGGRESIVE/DISMISS manners.

Good luck!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I have hung around ATS now for awhile and not found a post as interesting as this one.I mostly come here as an outlet for info.I have no formal education and am intimidated by the extreme intellect used in this subject matter.
Inspite of possiably makeing a fool of myself I am totaly intrigued with the subject of critical thinking.At the very least it has answered a lot of question's as to why I have never posted my own thread on ATS.

I feel complled to say something to some of the post's but will not tell I have educated myself a lot more on critical thinking,this is such an interesting and logical way of looking at life and the way we as human's present oue selve's in what ever we say or do.

Thank you for opening a whole new world of thought,as if I needed another one.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

bright is metaphorical... sorry sometimes I have to stop doing that.

something bright can be so bright one can not even look at it or bright could also mean good... all in context of the general conversation here.

hence the shades, it is either cool or to bright to look at sometimes.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

I sincerely hope so but what of the sheeple who make up the masses? Will the wake up to their lack of critical thinking? I remember when the working class grabbed education for dear life but in the pre-digested MTV and online gaming era what now?

The first thing that happens in right or left revolutions is they kill the intellectuals. Sadly that means you and possibly me

Interestingly ATS is one area of education which is cause for some hope.
I am one of the "masses" and fare from being an intellectual but killing the thinker's or critical thinkers of the world is the last thought I would have.They (or you) are all that is left to bring smoe sort of thought process to the masses that will stop the insanity.

Why don't you apply your critical thinking to that instead of worrying about the sheeple comeing for you,just a thought.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

Well to be honest with you I never see myself as an intellectual. I supposed that you did not get the significance of the
. I was merely apply the lack of critical thought to the population as the OP mentioned. My point is that the lack of critical thinking in the population could leave to a massive revolution on specious grounds. A right or left wing revolution would be a disaster for the ordinary mass of the population but in time they would realise that their lack of critical thinking would be to blame. Any revolution would need mass participation

Thank you for your comment.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

You really need to pay attention as to how you quote people, C.A.

tiger5 did NOT say that, you did. I sense it was an unfortunate mistake on your part, but it honestly can lead to some very intense drama when words are put into another's mouth.

Do some critical thinking on the possible ramifications of such typos.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

I took a chance in makeing a comment agenst my better judgement.I apologize if I did not get your thought right.
I see critical thinking as common sense+reasoning mixed with some logic and I would think a lot of self control, being the only real way to get enough people to understand long enough to do some good,but I am less then a novice at this and will do better after more education in critial thought.It is truely interesting but as I have proven hard to grasp.Thank's for your constructive input.

edit on 23-1-2011 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

America is designed to collapse every couple decades. What they did in the early 20th century was attempt to make each cycle last longer, which really was a bad idea. The system is designed to be on constant chaos and recycling. It's the best protection against what we have today. sigh. But yes, a new cycle is beginning. Very late, but again, these things used to happen every 30 years or so. We're just not used to it. The longer a cycle lasts the more likely collapse, civil war, and ruin are to occur. This is why we must have the old way back. Specifically, the post-civil war, pre-1910 way.

Other than that, faith is what hardens me to the things you listed. But cold hard logic is what justifies them. it is logical to love thy neighbor as thy self and to support thy nation as thyself. And to help the worth of the nation rise up. It is where faith that I become embroiled to do it all the more harder. I honestly would not be surprised to find the first bullet of civil unrest aimed at a politician to come from somebody with no racist thoughts, no hatred for others. I would not be surprised to find this person a perfectly logical human being with all things normal about him.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

Remember the Texas textbook issue from last year? What was the quote by the head of the education board? Something like "There's too much focus on critical thinking and not enough on grammar and math" or something along those lines.

Rote learning seems to be all that is idealized, and even that is becoming obsolete with all people having instant information gratification through wikipedia and google on internet capable phones.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

I love America and want it to shine. We are are on the same page! I also don't want to live in a world dominated by China!

Anyone is free to pick me up when my critical thinking slips - especially on emotive topics.

edit on 23-1-2011 by tiger5 because: typos and lack of critical thinking!

edit on 23-1-2011 by tiger5 because: typo

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

S&F for you, OP
Critical thinking is pivotal and - as being proven by some comments here - too little in use.

Can we expect different?
I don't think so. Why should schools pay attention to it? After all, the main functions of schools are (1) stuffing young kids in a room for 8 hours or more so their parents can become part of some machine on a daily basis (this is called "job"), (2) class re-allocation, or making sure that people die in the same social class they were born in and (3) if there's time left, stuffing useless skills in the kids' system so industry doesn't have to pay for that as well.

Should we dare to hope it would be different?
I for one do. I'm naive.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

My friend, it would take critical thinking to locate and communicate a pearl of wisdom shrouded in myth and ancient history. It must be able to discern timeless, spaceless principals and abstract concepts that cannot always be seen or percieved directly by the five senses in recognition that there is more than WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) in the unexplored ocean of truth and knowledge that is the very universe and reality within which we are immersed. Only courage, imagination, and a great deal of critical thinking is capable of drawing forth for our mutual scruntiny and analysis, a boon for society that is formative and helpful.
It takes nothing to shoot down an argument without first giving it due consideration with an open mind free from contempt prior to investigation. It cannot be critical thinking that is unwilling to do any of the required heavy lifting for the sake of Civilized progress. For critical thinking we need much more than a soft head and a hard heart.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

You really need to pay attention as to how you quote people, C.A.

tiger5 did NOT say that, you did. I sense it was an unfortunate mistake on your part, but it honestly can lead to some very intense drama when words are put into another's mouth.

oh yes very true, I was responding to tigers only quote of me... I am certainly not a forum veteran.

thanks for the heads up, just wanted to explain myself since it was all that was quoted of my post.
edit on 1/23/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: uggh, those "quote" brackets

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join