It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Black Metal Evil?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DroppinSuga

I really enjoyed the new documentary, "until the light takes us", it's a fair portrayal of black metal and it has some of my friends in it, lol.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
resented, that's cool. I admit I do plug my stuff whenever I can slip it in.

Another good book is "Lords of Chaos". It gives a history, and focuses a lot on the early Norwegian BM time of the church burnings and the Mayhem killings. But overall, most people don't "approve" or seek to replicate that stuff. There is also a "neo-nazi" racist genre of black metal.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

I hadn't heard of this. I just found the official website and I'm psyched that they offer it online for a low price. I'm definitely going to be watching this.

Thanks for the heads up.
edit on 22-1-2011 by DroppinSuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DroppinSuga

look on youtube, it's on there for free...

It's got polish subtitles but that doesn't really distract you too much, have a look...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom502
resented, that's cool. I admit I do plug my stuff whenever I can slip it in.

kool, well in order to keep this thread on the rails please do not link a video again, subtle name drops are acceptable, lol... I have no need to promote my band, my manager and record label sort all of that out...

Another good book is "Lords of Chaos". It gives a history, and focuses a lot on the early Norwegian BM time of the church burnings and the Mayhem killings.

Ok, I shall be sure to have a look at that

But overall, most people don't "approve" or seek to replicate that stuff. There is also a "neo-nazi" racist genre of black metal.

Yes I know, I have used nazi themes before when on tour, I even got arrested in poland for wearing an armband, lol... but I don't agree with the racist overtones, like I have previously stated I have done things that have in my opinion "sold out", there have been various themes in past albums that I am not happy with, but I am hoping that our next album will still have the darker themes but have a positive slant to them.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Soon enough I will be able to figure out which band you're in with all these hints.. or you could u2u me so I could just check your band out
haha

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DroppinSuga

Soon enough I will be able to figure out which band you're in with all these hints.. or you could u2u me so I could just check your band out
haha

Sorry, I won't be telling you or anyone because as soon as I mention the band name then it's going to get googled and link straight to here and then before we know it there's a load of fans just going crazy, I really don't need that these days! I am happy doing my touring and signing autographs now and again, but things like ATS I really do prefer to be private and to just be normal.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Resentedhalo08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

As you said Black Metal began as an act of defiance against the churches they felt were taking over their country. Just like a militia would if an enemy came to attack. Evil? No. Wrong? Probably, but not evil. They just take on the opposite image that Christians have. Choose dark colors as opposed to light, take the cross, turn it upside down, etc etc.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tom502

The only way you could have known that is if you listeen to it or heard from a skin, ?
But the thing about pro-white Viking/dark/folk metal is the recording Suckz. I've heared alot of that back in the day.

And to the person that said Christian Dark metal sounds better.... the Christian Viking/dark/folk metal is an oxymoron. Yeah Angels grind their voices and roll their eyes back while singing

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Anything that brainwashes people is evil.

So yes, music with hateful words and sounds is evil. Discords are called that for a reason - they jar the soul.

So hateful words and sounds together, as well as the people making these noises looking evil - that is attacking impressionable people on many levels.

And brainwashing. When people have become totally insensitized, we will not need to ask why.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Not entirely on topic but I thought I'd share it anyway..

Norwegian Boy Fends Off Wolf Pack with Heavy Metal

I'm guessing that had he listened to some darker metal, the outcome would have been the same.(if not better).

So how can something that could potentially save your life be evil? I rest my case....

Peace

(PS: yeah yeah, I know he was listening to Creed and it has nothing to do with black metal, or even metal according to some)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Not huge into the black metal scene - but I did see Venom and Mercyful Fate a few times in the mid 80s, and Cannibal Corpse (death metal, granted) and a few others of that genre in the mid 90s....

I always looked at it like Pro Wrestling. What's the word? Kayfabe, I think. Most of what is considered Black Metal is just for show, and the musicians and most of the fans know it. But, just like with Pro Wrestling, there's a few people who get it into their heads that it's all real - and that can end badly.

Probably true of most rock and popular music, when you get right down to it.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Yup, I second that. Just like gangster hiphop most of the kids into that get into it hard core.
Most of the dudes, my friends, that are into viking/folk metal and others I met at gigs are kind of soft hearted. Now me, no, I have an angry heart for personal reasons but not because of the kind of metal I listen too. I also like drunk southern country like Hank Williams the 3rd
He's funny

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Black metal isn't evil. Black metal's hilarious and awesome.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The people who perform death metal music to evoke hate and anger are the evil ones!

But then again there are those who like this type of music because it expresses feelings that we ALL have! Everyone gets mad or angry about one thing or another, and a good way to take out that anger would be to sing about it!

So it all depends on the circumstances!

Those are my simple thoughts behind it!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
metal is exactly what the name implies hard compound that can be used to protect the life force!

without metal the religious dogmas of the world would suck the life right out of us! metal keeps us protected!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I never really could understand the the frack those guys were saying in Mayhem and Burzum in the guttural groans I like to hear what the fella is saying , But i could understand where they were coming from through resisting the church. I prefer Varg era Mayhem myself. It is the classic case of rebellion with this genre in particular. Im more of a thrash metal kind of guy. In my day we had Venom and it was the original Black Metal literally i delved in to the black arts going through a certain phase as a kid. Im a big slayer fan to this day and as a teen i would wear my SlaYeR shirt proudly "still do" and would receive a mortified response from my teachers and looks of utter shock in response to the pentagram. With all intents and purposes I enjoyed it. With Slayer most people really did not get the point either, they were not so much about worshiping Satan "so people thought" Araya is a devout Catholic... and rather then defying such modern day religion and the church that is "corrupt to the core" pointing at all of it's warped and contradictory ways, they accomplished that and provoke critical thinking of the Church and what it has become. Many people who call themselves Christians are quite the opposite, with these bands you get the same method in reverse. That is why Maralyn Manson was and is so successful, that is why Alice Cooper is the Godfather of shock rock to this day.

The white and black makeup is nothing new or EVIL, I remember parents freaked out at the image of Gene Simmons regurgitating blood and breathing fire in the 70's ... THE DEMON, but he was just a nice Jewish kid from New York.

People like the bad guys more then the good guys and more so why not play the villain and go all out? Myself im disgusted with religious fanatics imposing their ideals on others in Gods name, and people who think that they attend a church every Sunday that treat people like dirt the other 6 days of the week. Those people put on an act and a show just like these bands in turn. So when i play a Mayhem album or go to a local Slipknot concert among maggots am I evil? I think these bands play a vital role they scare the crap out of the very people who think they are holier than thou, the real evil people who feel the need to control and the PMRC and the lousy parents that have such angry kids. It is actually quite therapeutic.

I still thrash heavy on the Bass to such EVIL music

Great Film and I highly recommend you see this, gives great insight in to Black Metal.
www.blackmetalmovie.com...
www.blackmetalmovie.com...
www.youtube.com...

edit on 23-1-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I've always wondered what the association between metal and the devil was all about. I'm not a fan of pretty much any rock/metal/whatever its called these days music if I'm honest, only listen to the odd band so I dunno

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom502
I'd say rap is the evil thing, because it's bad criminal behaviour and a glorification of it in a relaistic way, and many people do try and embrace that lifestyle and we have murders everyday in the US of that image.

Exactly, teaching children to worship material items "my car my riches" and females to act and dress like prostitutes shaking "booty" everywhere it is just so ridiculous and everything from MTV to mainstream radio marketing ignorance, unlike Hip Hop back in the day that was about something and talked about real life issues then it was frowned upon. Now they propagandize this Lil Wayne clown up to being "the greatest rapper of our time" and he is absolutely horrible. I liked it better when it was Public Enemy kill whitey at least it stood for something. Now it worships stupidity.

So i rather my kids listen to Black Metal at least they do not promote promiscuous behavior and worship material items. Statistically they would be more likely to get struck by lightning then burn down some churches.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. - Socrates
edit on 23-1-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Is Ed-Too-Tall-Jones too tall?

I like death metal and most all music but some of those black metal bands are even too much for me.

I can't find a good feeling inside listening to most of that stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join