It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Black Metal Evil?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

I would definitely be interested in what you find. This website looks like it may have what you're looking for. It speaks of the frequencies and whatnot that are used in the making of binaural beats.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DroppinSuga

I would definitely be interested in what you find. This website looks like it may have what you're looking for. It speaks of the frequencies and whatnot that are used in the making of binaural beats.

Thanks, I shall definately take a look at that and who know's if I am successful you might well hear the results in our next album.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
alright i haven't read comments yet but seeing the title and coming from myself someone who used to be obsessed with the genre as a teen I will tell you this. Most of the people in the genre are just your typical athiest who despise religion as it's based on faith like believing santa clause and the tooth fairy. The satanic part is just your typical metal gimmic to be a backlash against organized religious institutions. Religion is a form of control like governments and makes people angry. Your typical fan would be offended by the control it possesses and are tired of seeing it. By the way, most 99.9% of black metal lacks any originality and due to that hardly anyone listens to it anymore. There are still a few great bands out there in the genre. If your interested I have a few album you can check out that I myself find decent.

Dissection - Storm the lights bane
Woods of Infinity - hamptjarn
pretty much anything by Windir
Summoning (tolkein based BM)
earlier Forefather

as for a few of the more well known bands out there
Burzum
Darkthrone (the newer style stuff they release is better in my opinion but not really black metal)
Mayhem
Tormentor (hungary)
Emperor

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. There are Christian bands waaaaay heavier and "evil sounding", than any black metal band. The only thing that can be remotely considered "evil" about a song are the lyrics in it. Sound waves tend to chaotic neutral...

Case and point: Impending Doom
edit on 22-1-2011 by Plugged because: Addage of link.

EDIT:reply to post by Resentedhalo08

What band would that be? This thread got me thinkin' about my old band days. Trust me, hilarity ensues.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Plugged because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08

Originally posted by NonKonphormist
Evil? Nope.

Lacking artistic merit? Yep.

Crap? Yep.

Mainly attracts attention seeking, sulky teenagers with communication issues with low self esteem? Probably.

I'm sorry but I have to totally disagree with you, it takes a lot of time and energy to get to the skill level that this kind of music requires, it's taken me many years to get where I am

I'm sorry, I was just trying to get a reaction, I was out of order, but I did it out of a sense of mischief not purely to upset anyone.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
No its not evil at all, ive been listening to Guns n Roses when i was a kid then switched to Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth.
These days i love Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Barren Earth, Belakor, Opeth , Wine to Tears and i can tell you i dont have any evil in me.

I cant stand what kids listen to now, its all the same " i sold crack, im a millionare and i have all the women" rap music, with death metal or melodic metal you can hear the emotion and the skill of every single player.

The death growl is not an easy thing to master and hats off to anyone who can do it, Mikael Åkerfeldt or Tommi from Amorphis are in my opinion true masters and Mikael is a gentleman who listens to a lot of jazz.

Iron Maiden played in for the 2nd time in chilli as they were banned beacuse the catholic church said the The Number of The Beast was satans music, hell even the Beatles had there run ins with the church

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I read somthing like that in a black metal book of the most darkest bands when I was in high school 9 yrs ago

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
No, it is not evil.

What bugs me on this website is that anything that is not related to Christianity is considered "evil." (Ex: occultism; Satanism; paganism, etc.)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by packinhit

Dude I can grind my voice and hit some single frets and cords like armon amarth, Dude it fricken freaks me out.
Hail hail Valhalla, Hail hail the Order !!!
Say whaaa ?

edit on 22-1-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by packinhit

Dude, If you can gring like corpse grinder from Cannibal Corpse, AKA George Fisher or older Cannibal Corpse Chris Barnes in the now six feet under, now thats badazz!!! They arent evil but blaze alot

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Wow...I have been a metal head since I was a kid, played in a cover band when I was 16 in 1989 where we did some Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Death Angel, Iron Maiden...etc. Never was a fan of Norwegian Black Metal...bought Diecide's first album when it came out. I did like Death and Obituary...they were about as black as American metal was at that time...

Saw the documentary about the Norwegian bands, the church burnings, and interview with the guy who killed himself, and he did his best to represent himself as an enemy of the church and Christianity as a whole...but not establish himself as a disciple of Satan.

Being against the church does not put you in league with the Devil in my book, especially when alot of historical fact re: not only the catholic church but organized religion in itself can be characterized as evil.

However, when your beliefs lead to murder and destruction of property, its hard not to call that evil. I have never heard these bands, much less read any of their lyrics/ interviews beyond what I mentioned above, so cannot comment intelligently on their motives.

My mother supported me with the band thing whole-heartedly, but warned me not to follow the anti-christian theme in doing so because of the damage it could do to my reputation in the small town in Louisiana where we lived. Her feeling was Slayer and Obituary were taking the horror novel to the auditory realm, and the creepy/ scary lyrics and vocals were pure entertainment, not an insight into their personal beliefs.

I agree with that completely and always have. However, with regard to Norway bands...if they take action based on their beliefs and hurt people, then its hard not to call that evil. If they leave their creepiness in the studio and lead relatively benevolent lives, then I don't see anything evil about the music itself at all.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
it is the person that listens that makes it good/evil because just by listening dosent make u evil. the people that produce such music like grind core and other such genre's might be evil but do u know them personally? do u join in there cult practices? well you might be considered evil to others but it all is relevant to the observer.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What makes something evil is either in it's use or how it is perceived...

If you listen to a certain type of music and feel in any way that it is "evil" then it IS evil for you.

Even having a doubt that something is evil and still partaking of it, would make it evil to that person..

Remember, evil and good are perceptions.. They can only be measured by the effect they have..

Science cannot substantiate good or evil as a real thing.. We just know about it due to our emotions .

The same thing goes for defining sin... If a person doing a thing feels it may be a sin, then it actually is for that person..

It is all in the eye of the beholder...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cole DeSteele
Wow...I have been a metal head since I was a kid, played in a cover band when I was 16 in 1989 where we did some Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Death Angel, Iron Maiden...etc. Never was a fan of Norwegian Black Metal...bought Diecide's first album when it came out. I did like Death and Obituary...they were about as black as American metal was at that time...

Much respect my friend
I'm into alsorts of music, including Norweigian Black Metal... as for Deicide, my band may be joining them on a US tour late this year! Which I am very excited about

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality.
The same thing goes for defining sin... If a person doing a thing feels it may be a sin, then it actually is for that person..

It is all in the eye of the beholder...

I completely agree with your entire post, spot on my friend! But I am quoting this small part as it has to do with how I am feeling at the moment, I do feel that I have "sold out" as it were and prehaps have sacraficed some of my former beliefs to keep in line with the record company that my band are with in order to get where I am today, I've had a great time touring, loved all the women and all the fun that's been had, but I can't help but think maybe I have lost part of my soul in doing so... but as I understand it, a soul cannot be lost and it is down to a life's experience that can define the level at which a person is in their development... I guess I have some time to come to terms with past things that I regret and can redeem my actions and understand myself more.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

This is a vid off my latest CD, Kosmokrater - Wunderwaffen. It's getting good reviews.
But no, "black metal" is not evil.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom502

This is a vid off my latest CD, Kosmokrater - Wunderwaffen. It's getting good reviews.
But no, "black metal" is not evil.

Come on mate, this isn't a thread designed for promoting your band, in my opinion that's not really on...

That's nothing more than a shameless attempt at promoting your band, do you not have promoters to do that for you? I guess not otherwise you wouldn'nt be resorting to linking you video on here... sorry if I sound harsh my friend...
edit on 22-1-2011 by Resentedhalo08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Just wanted to provide an example of the variety in "black metal", as many have said they have not even heard it. Plus we got some posts talking about vocal technique, so it will naturally stray to the side a bit.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom502
Just wanted to provide an example of the variety in "black metal", as many have said they have not even heard it. Plus we got some posts talking about vocal technique, so it will naturally stray to the side a bit.

Ok, but from now on just mentioning a band will suffice, if people want to find out more then they will simply search the name... I do not blame you though, if the internet was around when my band started I am sure that I would have done the same! lol

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
For anyone interested in the history of Death Metal (and grindcore) I'd suggest this book by Albert Mudrian. It's an excellent history of the genre.

And no, I'm not Albert. It would be fun to work for Decibel Magazine though.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join