It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexander Hamilton or Thomas Jefferson?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
In the very beginning of our young republic a division was born. This division became the dividing line and led to the establishment of America’s first two political parties. Almost all ideals of America were debated upon between two men and soon, two sides.

On one side you had Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton, an absolute genius and very arrogant. On the other side was Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson, a great philosopher and a polymath.

These two men’s rivalry was so deep and profound entire political parties were established along their ideologies. Hamilton formed the Federalist Party and was the leader of the party. Thomas Jefferson, along with James Madison, founded the Democratic-Republican Party.

So the question here becomes, from your knowledge, who had the better vision for America; Alexander Hamilton and the Federalist Party or Thomas Jefferson and the Democratic-Republican Party?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I would have went with Hamilton myself, Thomas Jefferson was insane. I personally think that he was suffering from advanced syphilis most of his life.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I probably would get along with both, they do seem like good people. There is a book about Alexander Hamilton I have to get soon!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hamilton was a bankster.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Thomas Jefferson in every way.

It is a shame we have deviated so completely from his ideals. In addition to his general Renaissance Man appeal, Jefferson had a masterful grasp of the tectonics of history. He specifically warned of the dangers of debt, private central banking, and bank-issued currency. The creation of the Fed in 1913 was the most serious blow to the Jeffersonian ideal, and we are now reaping the dark harvest sowed almost a century ago.
edit on 1/21/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

What is wrong with the bank(ers)? Humm? I'm interested in becoming a banker? Would you like me as a banker?

www.youtube.com...
A great video for Jefferson and Hamilton debate!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hey, political rhetoric in this day and age is much worse than back then.

Aaron Burr

Back then politicians had the HONOR to stand up for what they believed instead of hiding their true beliefs.

I liked the part where Aaron Burr shot the statist bankerman.

Another thing I liked about Burr-

Despite these accomplishments and others, including his progressive views against slavery[2] and in favor of equal rights for women,[3]

See, even back then there were people that believed in the rights of ALL individuals. That they believed in the power of the individual not the STATE.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Jefferson had a clear vision of the struggle between a people and their government.

He understood that absolute power, corrupts absolutely and apparently had little doubt that even here, it could eventually happen that the people would need to rescue the republic from those in power.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I have always been a Hamilton man, and that was not changed.

To quote Mr. Hamilton, and I try to embody this every day here on ATS.

"I have thought it my duty to exhibit things as they are, not as they ought to be. "

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
By the way OP, thanks for reminding me I still have not created my Federalist vs Anti Federalist page yet for my site.

I have been procrastinating.

edit on 21-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I think it is easily answered if you just ask how each man would view the government as it is today.

Hamilton would probably recognize and approve of the current state of affairs.

Jefferson would cringe and know this country's days are numbered and few.

God Bless Thomas Jefferson.
edit on 1/21/2011 by zoso28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zoso28

Agreed, Hamilton would be the only forefather of this country not turning in his grave regarding how we turned out as a country.

Jefferson was way before his time and a inspiration for freedom and liberty for all time.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
To hell with big government and the big banks. It's no wonder The Federalist Party died and it's too bad so many of it's beliefs have crept back in.

Too bad dualing went out too...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I assume this post is far enough away from the OP so as to not have my opinion skew the purpose of the OP.

I support the Constitution over the Articles of Confederation. I support a virtuous aristocracy that wields no direct authority over the individuals further than maintaining and promoting virtue. Our Constitution was founded on Monarchial-Republican ideals. A relatively strong President, a non-political Senate, and a people’s House of Representatives.

Hamilton supported tariffs, protection of American manufacturing, traditional values, and a military strong enough to ward off any threats from foreign enemies. Had Jefferson been able to install his vision of no standing military we would never have been able to win the War of 1812, which the followers of Jefferson had brought upon us.

Also Jefferson supported the Revolution in France even when the Reign of Terror was underway where anyone who opposed the revolution was murdered by the guillotine with possibly as many as 40,000 people were murdered.

Thomas Jefferson had a dream, that’s about it. None of his dream could come to fruition except through an American version of the Reign of Terror.

Alexander however had a plan laid out for American future. A central government that was no stronger than what the Constitution had authorized to it. The protection and promotion of American manufacturing, civic virtue, and uniting our union to guarantee that America would be forever a nation that could stand up against both British Monarchy and French Anarchy.

So I do side with Alexander Hamilton, although I do have very deep respect for Thomas Jefferson.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Are you saying that Jefferson was a anarcho capitalist at heart and Hamilton was a Strict Constitutionalist?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
reply to post by Misoir

Are you saying that Jefferson was a anarcho capitalist at heart and Hamilton was a Strict Constitutionalist?

Thomas Jefferson made it quite clear that he didn't want any government at all, he even praised the communal living of the Native Americans as preferable. He was a Philosophical Anarchist.

Hamilton didn't write the majority of the Federalist papers for no reason. Alexander Hamilton promoted the United States Constitution and believed the Federal Government should adhere to it strictly. Nothing larger or smaller.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Can both coexist though? Capitalist anarchist and a person influenced by the Constitution and early American government?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zoso28
Hamilton would probably recognize and approve of the current state of affairs.

If this is what you truly believe then I suggest you crack open a book about Alexander Hamilton. He wrote the majority of the Federalist Papers advocating the ratification of the United States Constitution. Him, and his party, were strict Constitutionalists. They wanted a Federal government no larger and no smaller than that authorized in the US Constitution.

Now I ask you, are the current United States government strict adherents to the US Constitution?

Jefferson would cringe and know this country's days are numbered and few.

Thomas Jefferson believed the country’s days were numbered because the Constitution was too large and gave far too much power to the Federal Government. Of course Jefferson would cringe at this, even I cringe at this and I strongly support Hamilton. Even Hamilton would be rolling over in his grave!

God Bless Thomas Jefferson.

Yes, God Bless Thomas Jefferson because I admire him too for his intellectual power. But Alexander Hamilton was far more rational.

God Bless Alexander Hamilton!
edit on 1/21/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I am thinking though that Hamilton's want of a National bank was one of the reasons why the animosity between the two factions. Not to mention the inherent argument between the individual Republics and the Federal Government.

See, I have started to build my one part of my site and every time I return to my writing and creation of the page, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. It is almost becoming a dang site itself.

I think I am going to set aside one week and just do it. Limit myself to that time frame. What you bring up regarding the military component may have been relevant back then, but I do not see that now. Can you say nukes? There will never be another all out war, if there is, what comes after is back to circa 1800 life.

Great discussion, when I finish my page I will send you a link. Later.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sectumsempra
What is wrong with the bank(ers)? Humm? I'm interested in becoming a banker? Would you like me as a banker?

There is nothing wrong with banking as a business that safeguards a person's valuables including money and offers other services.

Banking as an administration of currency (i.e. banksterism) is among the worst political evils in existence and is the root of many conspiracies. Hamilton supported a central bank, i.e. an institution that controlled currency, thus making him a bankster.

edit on 21-1-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join