It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New College Fraternity thread

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Evey convention i went to, people would dress somewhat normal. Except those from coastal regions like florida and california. They had piercing all over but where at least they werent manson look alikes. i think i would have hazed someone like that.

I guess that is just because i am from the south and as every one knows we are not that liberal down here.

[edit on 5-8-2004 by qwerty99]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Does anyone know of a fraternity or sorority ritual that is not inspired by masonic teachings? You could argue that those sorority rituals written by fraternity men aren't necessarily masonic unless the writer had that kind of background.

Of course, you could also argue that there is no real difference between a masonic ritual and any other type of rituals relating to fraternal organizations.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I'm still reading pledged and have gotten to the section about race and how in the south there hasn't been much integration of traditional sororities. At the convention I attended you could see the diversity in the west and northeast, but the south and southern midwest was still mainly white. I'm always curious what our southern brothers think when they attend a national conference and see such diversity.

Is there a lot of diversity in your organizations?

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I personally wouldnt know if there were masonic or not because i do not know anything about their ritual. I heard that my fraternity straight ripped of mason but i wouldn't know.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Since i am from the south there is no integration down here. It is so bad that there is a black rush and white rush. One black guy didn't know and went through the white rush and he got cut by everybody. That never happens, i know one guy who didn't show up for rush got 3 bids.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I read in pledged about how black sororities are more community service oriented while traditional sororities are more social. I've only really witnessed black organizations on 2 campuses and not really noticed any difference between their traditional counterpart. What is it like on your campuses? I've noticed about the same community service, the only difference being the types of benefit. For instance, traditional organizations tend to give to bigger issues, like american cancer society, red cross, children's network, make a wish, etc. While black organizations tend to support black issues, NAACP, Negro College Fund, Sickle cell, other cultural and civil rights type issues.

Just curious what others think on this issue.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by qwerty99
Since i am from the south there is no integration down here. It is so bad that there is a black rush and white rush. One black guy didn't know and went through the white rush and he got cut by everybody. That never happens, i know one guy who didn't show up for rush got 3 bids.

I'm not from the south, but obviously you can see what is wrong with doing things that way. Who is running things? Is it the alumni who want to keep things that way, the school administration, or the actual chapters who either don't want to upset the alumni or want to continue that way.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is just how it alway is. I am not sure who is doing this. I don't see it changing anytime soon though. No one is making it stay this way, i think the alumni have a big say in it though.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Slick from your last message about the South. Im from the South and it really doesnt have anything to do with alumni, the school or anything else. Its just the culture down here. Everyone is just content to stick with their own group. We have had black students go through IFC rush and a small few were even picked up by a certain fraternity. Just for the most part black students choose to join black fraternities/sororities, and the white/other crowd chooses to stay in the IFC group. My chapter has several hispanic members and I can easily say that all of them have been exceptional members, one in particular was the best chapter pres we ever had. I think that boudaries are slowly beginning to fall down here, it will just take longer than other areas of the country. The cool thing is that everyone parties together including the black fraternities. The funniest thing I ever witnessed was a chicken grillin contest between several fraternities both black and white. There was enough malt liquor and hot sauce floating around to stagger an army!
Not to mention several of the black guys where trying to teach all us hobling white boys how to dance, the girls had a fit over that one. It was a great time and I know that there will certainly be a repeat.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I was wondering how some of the different GLO go about teaching thier laws and rituals to the new members/newly initiated members. And how much time is put towards this. Im my chapter the following semster the newly initiated members go through a ten week program that goes very indepth.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Star_and_Crescent
Denver was great. Beautiful city. MMMMM...Coors....

The Conference went very well I thought. We got a great deal acomplished and I think everyone had a good time.

I didnt get to check out the game but I heard everyone had a good time. It was the first time I have ever seen mountains like that. Absolutely breathtaking. I wanna go back during the winter and hit a few of the slopes they looked great.

Did everyone's convention take place in Denver? I think I've heard 4 orgs had it there recently.

Maybe it has something to do with the mural at Denver International Airport. All the secret societies in the world were drawn there to do their dirty work.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by slickwilly95991
I'm still reading pledged and have gotten to the section about race and how in the south there hasn't been much integration of traditional sororities. At the convention I attended you could see the diversity in the west and northeast, but the south and southern midwest was still mainly white. I'm always curious what our southern brothers think when they attend a national conference and see such diversity.

Is there a lot of diversity in your organizations?

I probably need to pick up this book. We just elected a black guy to our executive council known as the Arch chapter. I'm not sure if he is the first or not, but he is the first since I have been around. There was some comments from alumni at the southern schools that claimed that recruitment would drop if rushees found out about it. I don't buy it, what rushee cares about who the officers of the fraternity are. Most don't know the names of any but the president anyway.

I'm trying to remember, I'm not sure where the black guy was from, but he was a nice guy and I'm sure he will do a good job. He was the dean of students and is in charge of academics with the fraternity.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wvstreaker
I was wondering how some of the different GLO go about teaching thier laws and rituals to the new members/newly initiated members. And how much time is put towards this. Im my chapter the following semster the newly initiated members go through a ten week program that goes very indepth.

We have something at every meeting about ritual (except when new members are at the meeting) and then have a q & a if anyone has questions. After initiation, we go through each thing with the new initiates. It's not really a formal program, we just show up to the formal meetings and learn stuff throughout our time as undergrads and right after initiations.

The laws are something different. We give each new member a copy of the chapter by-laws and parts of the constitution that pertain to chapters. At the first meeting someone may go over the important stuff. The new members may cover some things during their meeting. It's really up to the new member to read through them and if they have questions to bring them up. The by-laws and Constitution are pretty up front and don't have much interpretation to figure them out.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by wvstreaker

We have no study on our ritual. The only way we can learn about it is on our own, and you have to go through several people to get access to it. So alotta people go through without ever really reading any of it at all. Sad when you think about it. I'm relatively new in my chapter, so hopefully some type of ritual education will be implemented during my time there, at least if I have anything to do with it.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Not everyones convention is in Denver. Ours is in Austin, TX right now. To bad i couldn't get off work in time to go. But i should have some good info one of my roommates went. I 'll post if he brings anything intersting back.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
ours is in memphis where national headquaters is.
As for our new intiates we have second initiation where we tell them everything about the fraternity. This is a good time for them to ask any questions they need to ask.
along the line of bi-laws, we give every member a copy of our bilaws, therefor there is no excuse for not knowing them.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by slickwilly95991
I'm still reading pledged and have gotten to the section about race and how in the south there hasn't been much integration of traditional sororities.

The situation at U. Alabama a few years ago was interesting. A black woman named Melody Twilley ended up being dropped by all the sororities repeatedly, and this made national news. She ended up starting a multicultural sorority. The next year, another black woman, Carla Ferguson, went through and did receive a bid. However, Ferguson seemed to be a very desirable PNM (personable, gorgeous, poised), and the bid came from the sorority that had the hardest time making quota. I thought it was very smart of them to take the opportunity to snap her up, but one of their former members who'd recently quit made some nasty comments about how it had been a political job.
www.cw.ua.edu...

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I'll keep this one short and painless guys

Slick you mentioned something earlier about rituals and any connection to the Masons. I don't believe any fraternity took part in helping found my sorority. We were founded by the first 5 women students at Colby, who united basically because they were the only 5 women there. I don't believe any of them attempted to join a fraternity at any point either, nor have any other inside means of gaining info/ritual ideas. So, I feel safe to say that my sorority doesn't have much of a connection to the Masons. However I have not gone over all the Masonic rituals as well as I would like to, so maybe someday I'll have some new insights for ya.

My sorority has about 75 members. I'd say we have about 2 black girls, 2 Asian/Polynesian, and 10 Hispanic, the rest white. Other houses on campus with about the same number of members are about the same, but noticeably the "Barbie" house, also the largest members-wise, is almost all white with a couple of Asian girls. Also note that many schools don't have as big a HIspanic population as we do here in SD. You definitely find more diversity in the smaller chapters too. I am proud to say my chapter has never dropped a girl based on skin color. However I doubt most houses could agree. My best friend from high school is in a house with 200 or so members, showed me her pledge class picture: 70-something white girls. So definitely the "pretty" or "top" houses are more segregated than the smaller ones.

Thanks for sharing the convention stories everyone. I believe ours was in Phoenix this year

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkerbokker

Slick you mentioned something earlier about rituals and any connection to the Masons. I don't believe any fraternity took part in helping found my sorority. We were founded by the first 5 women students at Colby, who united basically because they were the only 5 women there. I don't believe any of them attempted to join a fraternity at any point either, nor have any other inside means of gaining info/ritual ideas. So, I feel safe to say that my sorority doesn't have much of a connection to the Masons. However I have not gone over all the Masonic rituals as well as I would like to, so maybe someday I'll have some new insights for ya.

Nik, I didn't mean to infer that all sorority rituals were written by men. I just know there are some that were. Keep us updated on any masonic connection.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dtdfever1

Did everyone's convention take place in Denver? I think I've heard 4 orgs had it there recently.

Maybe it has something to do with the mural at Denver International Airport. All the secret societies in the world were drawn there to do their dirty work.

Good one Dtd, I just got the thing about the airport mural and the new world order.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join