It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists downplay panic as Yellowstone bulges 10 inches

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I've been watching news about Yellowstone for a long time. The thing I can't understand is this: If the magma is swelling the Yellowstone caldera causing bulges over time, then where does the magma come from? The Earth is a closed system. If Yellowstone is rising, then what area is falling?

Unless... the geysers at Yellowstone act as pressure valves. The more geysers that are active, the less the rise in Yellowstone. The less geysers that are active, the more the rise. The recent and ongoing earthquake swarms that we see at Yellowstone also act in this way to relieve pressure.

Because there are so man processes that interplay here, looking just at one of them (the bulges) to determine if doom is on the horizon, is not reasonable, in my mind.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

Even with the scientific denial; there's no way the feds or state government would give advanced warning of an eruption. The size of Yellowstone would mandate an evacuate of possibly millions within weeks if not days; and could possibly cause riots and crimes across the country as our law enforcement; disaster management and military resources are redirected to the area.

I disagree. While I certainly have an eye on Yellowstone, and wouldn't be terribly surprised if it erupted within our lifetimes, I think that our government probably would try to evacuate. Think about it - if they do nothing, keep their mouths shut, what does that accomplish? There is still a disaster coming that they will HAVE to deal with.

Logistically speaking, it would make sense to minimize the casualties to make the inevitable "clean-up" phase more efficient.

While the elite's endgame may entail reducing the global population by 80%, we're not at that point yet. They're not ready to kill us off. They need to have a more powerful global government to take over for when the US falls. So far, there is massive opposition/competition in South America, the Middle East, and Asia for power. Killing the US would just make it easier for other viable parties to assume global dominance.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Flagged and Starred. Certianly something interesting to keep and eye on. Would the Scientists whom are now denying something is going on at yellowstone. Be pressured by those in Government to lie about this, so as not to cause mass panic amongst the population? Would not surprise me if they have.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Josonic
This article is from a web site known to vastly exaggerate stories and details, as well as completely fabricating entire stories

National geographic?

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a volcano much smaller than Yellowstone cause extinction 250 million years ago!
www.inaltreparole.net...

E.L.E.
Extinction Level Event
en.wikipedia.org...

Yellowstone super volcano erupts

edit on 22-1-2011 by conar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Ive been on this planet for 60 years, and have had many dreams that have come true, but for the first time a few nights ago i had a dream of rushing lava comming towards me, ive only just seen this thread today, of course it has to come true eventualy but WHEN is the burning question, (pun not intended)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Etna is active every couple of years. The locals call it the good vulcan, because by now it can be guessimated about how far the lava will reach and nearby structures can be built accordingly. Yellowstone realeases pressure through various means all year around.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Does anyone know how much damage would be caused if Yellowstone had a full eruption? I mean, how much of the United States would be compromised?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by conar

send Woody Harrelson (Charlie Frost) out there pronto!!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Thing is see, what has actually happened. I mean, sure, people are compiling a list of things, but really.. for you, in your chair as you look at your monitor, what has happened?

Now when WE start to think about it, are these things just happening and localised? Or will we start to suffer from it.

We can speculate for ever and a day, but apart from explainable natural events, recurring climate events and other mundane things, nothing has had any effect on us. Not to the point WE are in jeopardy.

I don't mean to say that we need to do nothing till it's too late - Far from it. Jesus I'd be the last person to claim that..... but I do not see anything that warrants such a global paranoia.

Then again, if I am wrong, I will be the last person to know it because whatever hits us will be so quick no amount of paranoia and preparation will save us anyway.

lets hope I am right, eh?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by xLogic
I have an idea. How about we drill a deep hole and drop the most powerful nuke we have. The big explosion would destroy the volcano! This is so awesome we could make a movie about it and donate the profits to any potential fallout victims, displaced residents and animals.

Yes I think we should get BP's top engineers on that immediately....

So what do you think would happen when all that rock that's holding back the magma pressure gets additional fractures from our "Super mega nuke?"perhaps cause the whole eruption?
edit on 22-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
If you live near the yellowstone area and fallout predicted area there is nothing from stopping you from loading up your car and moving away. Unless you want to end up like the Pompeii people. I saw that exhibit when it was in Charlotte NC.Life can be started over else where. I know this from being an engineer's daughter/ then married one. I moved 14 times. Moving away yourself is the smart choice. Everyone has had advance knowlegde of their options.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Same news from MSNBC:

MSNBC News - Yellowstone Caldera
interesting, thought-provoking and a little scary.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Conspiritron9000 because: wrong link

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

The title of this thread: "Scientists downplay panic as Yellowstone bulges 10 inches"

Title of the article on BIN: "Super volcano creates 10 inch bulge in Yellowstone"

Factual information from The National Geographic Site:

"But beginning in 2004, scientists saw the ground above the caldera rise upward at rates as high as 2.8 inches (7 centimeters) a year. The rate slowed between 2007 and 2010 to a centimeter a year or less. Still, since the start of the swelling, ground levels over the volcano have been raised by as much as 10 inches (25 centimeters) in places."

Since the start of the swelling. The damn thing did not suddenly raise the ground level at Yellowstone 10 inches in one big sudden upward bulge. Hey, I'm not downplaying the threat of an eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera; but it's scary enough to consider without a misleading title like this making those of us who live within Goodbye Distance choke & almost spit out our morning coffee.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
Does anyone know how much damage would be caused if Yellowstone had a full eruption? I mean, how much of the United States would be compromised?

If the Yellowstone Caldera had a full eruption, I don’t think anyone would argue that it would be an extinction level event (E.L.E.)

Originally posted by frugal
If you live near the yellowstone area and fallout predicted area there is nothing from stopping you from loading up your car and moving away. Unless you want to end up like the Pompeii people. I saw that exhibit when it was in Charlotte NC.Life can be started over else where. I know this from being an engineer's daughter/ then married one. I moved 14 times. Moving away yourself is the smart choice. Everyone has had advance knowlegde of their options.

Moving away wouldn’t really help in the event of a Yellowstone Caldera eruption. It would just delay the inevitable by a couple of years, depending on how far away you moved. The ash sent into the upper atmosphere would block out the sunlight, killing all plant life, creating starvation for those left. Those couple of years would be sheer hell, in my opinion.

That said, I want to be clear that I think the OP article is really misleading. I just wanted to comment on these two posts.

edit on 22/1/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Saying that Yellowstone has bulged by ten inches is quite alarming, but I cannot see a reference to the timescale over which the bulge occured. It might be enlightening to understand the time scale we are dealing with here, since speed has consequences in these matters.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

In the article it states that even the scientists are no longer concerned, as the magma is way too deep to be jumping to conclusions.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell else can a guy say. Waking up to some new scary fact everyday now ! I'm start'in to get a little bit bent. I stay on this site all day. Nothing seems to happen til I go to bed. Drives me crazy. Thanks for the heads up.

Fns BTW.
edit on 22-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Funny thing is when they had the first swarm at Yellowstone in the 20th century with a 7.0 quake they worried. When another one happend in 2008 with over 1000 quakes 500 of them in one week they panicked. Exactly one year after, 1800 quakes in a swarm lasting january to february, they said oh don't worry it's normal, when they have only seen it do swarms three times.After that I think the Obama administration issued a gag order on usgs. Since then it has been nothing to worry about.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
LOL Randy

I was just saying to myself that I have to keep away from this site, at least not waste time allowing myself to engage in crazy bs. arguments - and - I should work on more productive things. I would like to move, actually, I should be researching that - pick a new spot etc.

I am not in any immediate danger from this volcano, but - it does look like most of the US is pretty much toast anyway - so.

But I had an idea! I heard one time - regarding industrial or util pollution, coal burning, etc - that someone had this bright idea (?) once to build this giant smoke stack - like miles high - whatever it takes to pass the immediate atmospheric layer - blast the pollution into space so to speak.

So maybe this could be done with any potential volcano eruption debris? Yeah, I know, it sounds crazy. No, I am not a top BP engineer

Or - why couldn't the ash, debris, volcano by - products - be captured and contained or recycled somehow?

As for food - what about huge hydroponic warehouse type operations? Vitamins?

I think the effects of such an eruption could be mitigated, somewhat. I don't know. Giant smoke stack!

What about some kind of "stuff" that could be distributed such as these "chemtrails" (sorry, not overly familiar with all that - just thinking of vague ideas) - so anyway - some "stuff" that could be blasted at the ash and this would "neutralize" or "capture" it somehow? Cause it to precipitate faster even? Corexit for ash. Kiss your ash goodbye

Just musing here. I think things could be done and I think preparations *should* be stepped up for ANY type of disaster. Yeah, I know, FEMA coffins. That's encouraging.....

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join