It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists downplay panic as Yellowstone bulges 10 inches

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Fix your link?

Honestly, I can't believe more is not being done to develop ideas on how to stop or relieve pressure from the Yellowstone Caldera. When it blows it will take out 3-4 states and cover half the U.S. in ash. Plus, history suggests it erupts every 600,000 years and guess what.. the last eruption was 640,000 years ago.

If you look at the scope of what this Caldera is capable of doing to our country you'd think this would be one of if not the government's top geological priorities. I know the government doesn't need to get any bigger, but there should at least be a three letter agency trying to figure out all the can so they can develop ways to stop it from erupting on such a large scale.

edit on 21-1-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05
reply to post by FPB214

Thanks for bringing up 2012. Up until about 5 months ago I was very skeptical (although not ruling it out) in regards to the possible 2012 scenario. With the animal deaths, a much more rapid pole shift than anticipated, strange weather, and now this, I am beginning to be seriously concerned about what could happen in 2012. I will say this:
If 12/21/2012 is the end of the world, we need to be wary that it's very possible that this process is beginning, and that date is just the culmination of all of those actions. I just hope we are both wrong on this. We are entering a very scary time.

I still believe human ingenuity could change that, if that truly is the cause. So we either make or break the 2012 prophecy, within my beliefs. But either way we won't know for sure until something happens.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

History of Yellowstone Caldera

edit on 22-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Josonic

Um...the article from BIN that it is linked from is actually from National Geographic. I think their credentials are pretty solid. I only linked the Before It's News article because that's where I found the original source.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Since the link provided for this information does not work, I would like to know where beforeitsnews got their information, because I really don't think they are much of a reputable site, they tend to lie, or embelish the truth in matters, I would rather rely on a more reliable source. Again though, the link doesn't work.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
Since the link provided for this information does not work, I would like to know where beforeitsnews got their information, because I really don't think they are much of a reputable site, they tend to lie, or embelish the truth in matters, I would rather rely on a more reliable source. Again though, the link doesn't work.

National Geographic

The source of the article on BIN was from Nat Geo. I'll edit the OP to reflect that.

edit: apparently the 4 hours have passed to edit my OP. but the nat geo link is here if you're interested in reading the information from them.
edit on 1/22/11 by zcflint05 because: added link

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
Fix your link?

Honestly, I can't believe more is not being done to develop ideas on how to stop or relieve pressure from the Yellowstone Caldera. When it blows it will take out 3-4 states and cover half the U.S. in ash. Plus, history suggests it erupts every 600,000 years and guess what.. the last eruption was 640,000 years ago.

If you look at the scope of what this Caldera is capable of doing to our country you'd think this would be one of if not the government's top geological priorities. I know the government doesn't need to get any bigger, but there should at least be a three letter agency trying to figure out all the can so they can develop ways to stop it from erupting on such a large scale.

edit on 21-1-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

Unfortunatley our government is not so good at foresight. When given a choice between funding schools defense social security and medicare...enviromental issues are put way in the back. The only thing that would get us funding to study geological things like volcanoes properly would be a "geologic 9/11"--however if that were to happen it may be too late.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

Thanks for that link, however I already read that one, looks like the bulge has taken about 10yrs to rise up to this amount, it also isn't anything they consider unusual because it has happened before without incident. Although it is very interesting to bring up possibilities with Yellowstone erupting, I don't think this is the 'event'.

After reading the entire article from Nat Geo, I conclude that this is quite the usual. Even the swarms of last year are good for the area, allowing the release of pressure building up, then the bulge goes down some.

Not that it couldn;t happen, we all know it can and will eventually, I don't think Nat Geo is reporting to us that this is what is suspected. I think the article was meant to create interest in Yellowstone, period.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Sorry double post.
edit on 22-1-2011 by space cadet because: double post

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Thank you op i have read the article in the link , and what got me is that it is written by bob smith one of UofU's best know experts in his field and also the fact that i was able to find his web site also in the article.

For you that can not see that fine print well here you go his search link is www.uusatrg.utah.edu, again thank you for this thread.
Now i have a post under fragile earth dealing with this pleas feel free to read it for i have a thought on this caldera, now as far as warning goes by the time they, the real experts knew that it was to blow it would have blown.

There is no repeat no waring systems to tell when a volcano will blow or when an earth quake will strike this is just the way it is yes there are theories on this but no proven technology.

There are signs to look for but only if you are in the park would they be any help if at all, for i doubt you would out run, drive, or fly form it fast enough.
At ground zero there would be extrema heat and steam, this is if, the center is in the lake.

Poison gasses would form a cloud the is toxic the water would most likely be turned to an acid as it boils from deep below, a loud rumble would fallow a brief moment of no sound, the ground would rise then fall then rise up in a massive explosion.
We have no concept as to how big this is, for no one has seen a eruption as big this, not in written history, this will be 10 to 20 times bigger than the1883 of Krakatoa.

i do need a break i will edit in to am ore easy to read format when i get back.
edit on 22-1-2011 by bekod because: added info. and word edit.

edit on 22-1-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2011 by bekod because: added info. and word edit.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

What do you suggest they do? Drill holes in volcano? What if that causes an eruption?

Super volcanoes aren't something to be messed with. Don't mess with the beast cause if it's going to wake up we are all in deep trouble.

I think volcano neutralization should be done after eruptions so that there is little energy accumulated within it. Not now when it's energy has increased for 640 000 years.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

by chance I found this::
dsc.discovery.com...
and if you read far down the article it says that in some places the lava is 5 miles deep, not 10 miles..that
is IN SOME PLACES NOT ALL.
worth thinking about but nobody has any way of knowing when it might blow..or how long it would give
warning signals before it did.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
this belong here..

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I have an idea. How about we drill a deep hole and drop the most powerful nuke we have. The big explosion would destroy the volcano! This is so awesome we could make a movie about it and donate the profits to any potential fallout victims, displaced residents and animals.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

Actuly the voclanic activity is resposible for the bird deaths.The gas can cause internal bleeding hence why people think that blunt trauma was involved in some of the cases.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Also I wonder if this thread can last longer than the previous yellowstone doomsday thread which amounted to nothing.I guess its been a while since we have had one of these.Give it a couple of hours and the usual survival and preparedness conversations will start.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by xLogic

xLogic

I think you have been watching too many movies already !!

I think that we all need to realise that for all the worrying and speculation on this and other threads, if this volcano was to erupt then you had better hope that if you are affected then the end would be swift... there's very little we (the human race) can do when the heart of mother nature wants to say something...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I believe this thread has covered this topic earlier this week.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some interesting replies there as well.

Duplicate thread.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
There is a mega Yellow stone thread. Apparently the bulges have been going on for a very long time.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
god dammit im on holiday! i fly home tonight if this puppy can wait till after my plane lands i will be very happy. or if it blows while im in the air at least i hope it wont make it as far as australia. come ooooooon baby.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join