It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Arrests 127 People in Mafia Crackdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

FBI Arrests 127 People in Mafia Crackdown

www.voanews.com

U.S. FBI agents have arrested 127 Mafia members and associates, in one of the largest operations against the organized crime outfit in the agency's history.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, speaking to reporters in Brooklyn, New York, said Thursday that the arrests took place early Thursday. He said suspects were detained in the northeastern U.S. states of New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island for crimes including drug dealing, extortion and murder.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
article.wn.com
www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have always been very interested in the Mafia, read loads of books on the subject etc. I was under the impression that after numerous successful prosecutions under RICO, large scale arrests and a continual advancement in techniques to combat organized crime that the mafia had been crippled in a big way, maybe not.

I remember reading as the likelihood of successful RICO prosecutions has increased that members are violating the code of Omerta (the code of silence) more and more in a bid to save themselves. I wonder how this one will pan out.

www.voanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Didnt hear anything about this in the local news, perhaps I wasnt listening though

Living in NJ just outside of south Philly, the idea of the Mafia is very much a common one.
Many people I know friends and family either knows someone, or knows someone who knows someone if you get my drift. I m surprised I am hearing this on ATS and not somewhere locally.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I first saw it on the South American News site, didn't see it in the NY times though.

Being from Jersey you must really see a bit of it, do you think that they can still successfully extort businesses for protection? I am sure that they still have a pretty firm hand in gambling and prostitution, I just thought that the FBI had pretty much crippled all major operations after Joe 'the ear' Massino was busted.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
So they can take down 127 Americans, but can't do **** about the drug smugglers and human trafficking along our southern border.

Of course, they'd have to get off their ***es and in the field to get any of that taken care of.

And we certainly don't want to do that . . .

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The FBI sure showed the mafia-capturing a 93 year old man as the top prize and getting him an eight year sentence. If a criminal isnt brought to justice until 93, it sort of defeats the purpose...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by molenews

probably not to the possible victims of people he may have murdered. It looks a little pathetic arresting this old guy, but it is possible that this guy has murdered many people. I agree it's a little late, but something is better than nothing i guess.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

I doubt a 93 year old has killed anyone recently, and seeing as he only got 8 years I dont think murder was a crime he was charged with. Seems like a publicity stunt to garner support for law enforcement who are every bit as crooked as the modern mafia.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

The real mafia has been incorporated into corporate America. RICO statutes could eliminate all the liars and conmen in congress, but the law was specifically designed to only punish the sicilian gangsters and has been effectively used against certain gangs, yet never really solved the problem up top.

A wonderful book that is highly recommended would be 'The Underground Empire' by James Mills. Its long, about 1200 pages, but it details what could be the biggest conspiracy of alltime, which would be certain agency's complicity in perpetuating the whole drug dealing scam. There are always characters involved in that game. It goes all the way to the top. Many people would be surprised that gov officials are the biggest runners of the dope show ever. I still think W was the biggest dope dealer ever. I think that the main premise of that book was to prove that you should never be too effective at your job, and never jump down the rabbit hole. You might piss somebody off...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I live in Northern Jersey and knew about this before it hit the news. The 'boys' all meet up to eat where I work and I noticed a few missing that morning
These guys are not all bad. They do alot of good for the community. Though the mafia is not what it was 20 or 30 years ago, they still stand strong but quieter then ever.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide
reply to post by molenews

probably not to the possible victims of people he may have murdered. It looks a little pathetic arresting this old guy, but it is possible that this guy has murdered many people. I agree it's a little late, but something is better than nothing i guess.

He probably ordered hits, but long removed from doing the actual work. Thats why you become boss, so you don't have to do the dirty work.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by molenews

I doubt a 93 year old has killed anyone recently, and seeing as he only got 8 years I dont think murder was a crime he was charged with. Seems like a publicity stunt to garner support for law enforcement who are every bit as crooked as the modern mafia.

Which of the men are you talking about here?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Which of the men are am I talking about here?

John “Sonny” Franzese, 93.
edit on 21-1-2011 by molenews because: wrong quote

edit on 21-1-2011 by molenews because: re worded

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I saw this on my local news last night and was waiting to see it on here.

I don't think these arrests will even slow the mob down honestly, they have probably known the heat was coming down for a week or two before the busts happened.

Just my opinion I am in no way affiliated with the mafia but from what I have read about them they are tied into most of the police posts across the country as well as most of the alphabet agencys

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by molenews

Which of the men are am I talking about here?

John “Sonny” Franzese, 93.
edit on 21-1-2011 by molenews because: wrong quote

edit on 21-1-2011 by molenews because: re worded

His 8 years was for extortion, of a number of strip clubs and a pizzeria up in Long Island.

I thoguht we were talking about someone else here, sorry bout that

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I read about it on the Drudge Report I think two days ago, Here are some of their Handles and I'll give you the article links too. www.nydailynews.com... html

The FBI's monster mobster bust Thursday unveiled a treaure trove of amazing mafia monikers. Consider these gems that were stripped from the pages of the 16 indictments filed in Brooklyn Federal court:

*"Tony Bagels"
*"Vito Love"
*"The Claw"
*"Baby Fat"
*"Jimmy Gooch"
*"Mush"
*"Johnny Cash"
*"The Beard"
*"Johnny Pizza"
*"Nighthawk."
"The vow of silence that is part of the oath of 'omerta' is more myth than reality today," she said.

The Colombos were especially riddled with rats, according to the 16 indictments unsealed in Brooklyn Federal Court.

The turncoats helped the feds build cases against the family's reputed leaders - underboss Benjamin Castellazzo, 73, street boss Andrew (Mush) Russo, 76, and consigliere Richard Fusco, 74.

YUP,,, Now you know how they got their indictments, RATS,,, Talk to the Fed's and get a reduced sentence and go in to the WITSEC program, do your time and you and your families gets a new Identity and even a new face if need be you and all the members of your family in the program get to be relocated to another State and a new life.
Here is another link to other news stories: news.yahoo.com...
The indictments listed colorful nicknames — Bobby Glasses, Vinny Carwash, Jack the Whack, Johnny Cash, Junior Lollipops — and catalogued murders, extortion, arson, drug dealing and other crimes dating back three decades.

and www.nbcnewyork.com...

Among those charged are Luigi Manocchio, 83, the former boss of the New England La Costra Network; Andrew Russo, 76, street boss of the Colombo family; Benjamin Castellazzo, 73, acting underboss of the Colombo family; Richard Fusco, 74, consigliere of the Colombo family; Joseph Corozzo, 69, consigliere of the Gambino family; and Bartolomeo Vernace, 61, a member of the Gambino family administration.

In total, more than 30 "made men" were charged in the indictments unsealed today. The charges carry a variety of maximum penalties, including up to life in prison.

I hope this helps you there in New Jersey,,Maybe you Property Taxes will go down now and then maybe not

edit on 21-1-2011 by guohua because: spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

WOW what a list of names. I think the only real way to actually get solid evidence is through informants these days, I mean vincent gigante was assumed to be a complete whack job for years, literally years, all the while he was the boss of the genovese family. Kinda off topic, but I think most conventional methods of collecting evidence in these cases are somewhat obsolete, the only way really was to introduce RICO, so that bosses can be prosecuted for the crimes of the entire organization, even if they have not personally committed those crimes.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Just wanted to add that those were some pretty big players arrested, consigliere of the columbo and gambino familes? also the underboss of the columbo family, that is BIG

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

That's really interesting, wouldn't doubt it for a second. I remember something about the US flying weapons out to panama and having the planes come back loaded with coke, then blaming noreaga when it got out of hand, please correct me if i am wrong. The production of opium and heroin has increased by something like 300 per cent since the afghani invasion, so yeah I wouldn't be surprised at all if a lot of the dope was sold off to finance US projects and the such.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Your absolutely correct, That is The Only Way, all their Lawyers are corrupt, they have cops and detectives on their payroll and judges and I'm sure Lots and Lots of Politicians,,, I would have to assume out of Chicago comes Obama ( Lawyer ) Corrupt,,,, You make up your own mind.

They need the Rat to get caught and squeezed a Little to start squealing on his Buddies

S & F for you my friend
edit on 21-1-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join