It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Mills Wants You To Be Healthy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Americans Need More Whole Grain; General Mills Makes It Easy

Dietary Guidelines Committee Report Shows 95 Percent of Americans Do Not Get Enough Whole Grain; General Mills Report Reveals More than Half Overestimate Whole Grain Consumption

Newswise — The General Mills Whole Grain Check-up, released today, reveals 61 percent of Americans believe they get enough whole grain in their diet. In reality, only 5 percent of Americans get the three full daily servings (at least 48 grams) recommended by the U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

General Mills conducted the study to better understand American attitudes around whole grain and the gap between the amount of whole grain Americans should be eating and what they are actually consuming.

“With the average person getting a little more than half of a serving of whole grain each day, America’s whole grain gap is a concern,” said Susan Crockett, Ph. D, RD, FADA, vice president, Health and Nutrition, and director of the Bell Institute of Health and Nutrition at General Mills. “As part of a healthy diet, whole grain can help with diabetes and weight management, as well as reducing the risk of heart disease and certain cancers. Ready-to-eat cereal is the leading source of whole grain and packs in vitamins, minerals and key essential nutrients – without packing on calories.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here's the sugar content per serving (nobody eats just one serving mind you) for each of these supposedly healthy foods...

Basic 4® - 13g per cup
Fiber One® Raisen Bran Clusters - 14g per cup
Fiber One® Caramel Delight - 11g per cup
Fiber One® Frosted Shredded Wheat - 12g per cup
Fiber One® Honey Clusters
Golden Grahams® - 11g per 3/4 cup
Honey Nut Clusters® - 14g per cup
Oatmeal Crisp Crunchy Almond - 16g per cup
Oatmeal Crisp Hearty Raisin Raisin Nut Bran - 20g per cup
Total® Blueberry Pomegranate - 11g per cup
Total® Cinnamon Crunch - 9g per cup
Total® Cranberry Crunch - 16g per 1-1/4 cup
Total® Honey Clusters
Total® Raisin Bran - 17g per cup
Wheaties®
Wheaties® Fuel ™ - 14g per 3/4 cup

Apple Cinnamon Cheerios® - 10g per 3/4 cup
Banana Nut Cheerios® - 9g per 3/4 cup
Berry Burst Cheerios®
Cheerios®
Cheerios® Crunch - 8g per 3/4 cup
Chocolate Chex® - 8g per 3/4 cup
Chocolate Cheerios® 9g per 3/4 cup
Cinnamon Chex® 8g per 3/4 cup
Corn Chex®
Country Corn Flakes
Frosted Cheerios® - 9g per 3/4 cup
Fruity Cheerios® - 9g per 3/4 cup
Honey Nut Cheerios® - 9g per 3/4 cup
Honey Nut Chex® - 9g per 3/4 cup
Multi Bran Chex® - 10g per 3/4 cup
Multi Grain Cheerios®
Para Su Familia® Raisin Bran
Raisin Nut Bran - 14g per 3/4 cup
Rice Chex®
Wheat Chex®
Yogurt Burst Cheerios ®- Strawberry - 9g per 3/4 cup
Yogurt Burst Cheerios® - Vanilla

Berry Berry Kix® - 8g per 3/4 cup
Boo Berry® - 12g per cup
Chocolate Lucky Charms® - 10g per 3/4 cup
Cinnamon Toast Crunch® - 10g per 3/4 cup
Cocoa Puffs® - 10g per 3/4 cup
Cocoa Puffs® Combos Chocolate & Vanilla - 10g per 3/4 cup
Cookie Crisp® - 10g per 3/4 cup
Cookie Crisp® Double Chocolate
Count Chocula® - 12g per 3/4 cup
Franken Berry® - 16g per cup
Honey Kix®
Kaboom®
Kix®
Lucky Charms® - 10g per 3/4 cup
Reese's Puffs® - 10g per 3/4 cup
Sprinkles Cookie Crisp® - 10g per 3/4 cup
Trix® - 10g per cup

Those numbers don't sound like too much until you realize just how little 3/4 or 1 cup really is. That sugar count adds up quickly if you're filling the bowl to the top, eating your cereal with skim milk, adding more sugar and then going back for another pour to finish off the remaining milk in your bowl. WIth some of the cereals listed above you would be over 50 grams of sugar in one sitting.

As part of a healthy diet, whole grain can help with diabetes and weight management

....so says the vice president of health and nutrition at General Mills. What she fails to mention is how 50g of sugar in one sitting will completely negate any possible possitve effects of whole grains (and there really isn't going to be much of a possitive impact from whole grains found in breakfast cereals).

Really wanna know what's driving childhood obesity? Pure crap dressed up as health food.
edit on 21-1-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Yes it's sad that they just have to focus on one aspect of their processed foods in the advertising and the average person thinks they are eating healthier.

I wish everyone (parents in particular) read all of the ingredients before deciding how healthy something is.

The world of advertising is very corrupt in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

Unfortunately, it's true. Nutrition fact labels, whether being read or not, are not affecting consumer choices when it comes to fast food.

"Given the results of prior studies, we had expected the results to be small, but we were surprised that we could not detect even the slightest hint of changes in purchasing behavior as a result of the legislation," the lead author of the study, Eric Finkelstein, of Duke-National University of Singapore Graduate Medical School, said in a news release. "The results suggest that mandatory menu labeling, unless combined with other interventions, may be unlikely to significantly influence the obesity epidemic."

edit on 21-1-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
www.latimes.com...

Unfortunately, it's true. Nutrition fact labels, whether being read or not, are not affecting consumer choices when it comes to fast food.

That's because fast food and junk food are cheaper and are heavily advertised as opposed to healthy food.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

Well, that may be true; however, I'm pretty sure we see the observed results because people don't know how to apply information provided by nutrition fact labels to their food choices properly. You can read nutrition labels all you want...but if you distinguish between what's healthy or unhealthy, it's a moot point.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Amen, finally someone speaking the truth. I was concerned you were a shill unitl I bothered to read all the way through and saw the meat of what you are saying. There should be far more flags and stars on this thread, great post! thank you

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I notice that a lot of the "healthier" cereals are higher in sugar than the ones that most think of as the junk stuff..

I wonder if people really know that it isn't as healthy as they think...as they put their noses in the air as they pick Total and I get a box of Trix..

jokes on them...haha

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I didn't even realize how high the sugar content was in those...and I'm pretty well versed. People have no idea what they're putting into their pie holes.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Yeah, my husband likes to eat Wheaties, and Total.

We don't have any Total right now, but I just looked at the Wheaties box....It has sugar AND corn syrup in it.

We also have a box of Rice Chex. That only has 2 grams sugar per serving, and no corn syrup. Molasses is an ingredient though, and I think that may have corn syrup as an ingredient.

As far as serving sizes go, I had to point out to my hubby that most packages that you would think are one serving (of snacks) are actually two or more servings. For example, chicken strips or nuggets serving size is about 3 or 4 for over 300 calories. (I know, I know, bad for you but he likes them, he is a "selective" eater)

I usually look at what I am getting for the calories before I buy or eat something. I don't just go by lower calories when I choose something to eat, but what I am getting for the calories, nutrition wise.

For example, my daughter asked me why I didn't buy "light" yogurt, because it was about 30 calories less than the regular, I pointed out how it has artificial sweetener (poison) in it, and I would rather have the extra calories than the sweetener, although it does have hfcs in it, which I also try to avoid.

Unfortunately, you have to look carefully at the labels anymore, as you said. Thanks for bringing up this topic.

edit on 24-1-2011 by sezsue because: clarify

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

NEW YORK — Some of the nutrition information listed in government-mandated food labels will be repeated on package fronts under a new system that food makers and major grocers are introducing.

The Grocery Manufacturers Association and the Food Marketing Institute on Monday announced the industry's voluntary new "Nutrition Keys," which will list calories, saturated fat, sodium and sugars per serving.

Manufacturers may choose to use only one or two of the figures in small, package-front icons, or all four.

source

Well it looks like they are going to make it a little more "in your face" although I don't think this will help at all as the manufacturers will probably just put the "good" stats on the front of the packages. Seems to me to just be another step to make the people think they care..

In my opinion anyways...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
'Healthy' kids' foods usually aren't, study finds

If the foods we ate were actually as healthy as their packages would have us believe, Americans certainly wouldn’t be spending $168 billion a year on obesity-related healthcare costs. So it shouldn’t exactly be shocking to learn that yet another study has found that the front-of-package labels on processed food items are misleading (to put it kindly).

Care to guess how many of the 58 items failed to meet at least one of these criteria and were judged “unhealthy” by the Prevention Institute researchers? Would you believe 49?

95% of all products in the study contained added sugars, including high fructose corn syrup and healthy-sounding alternatives such as honey and fruit juice concentrate.
17% of the items contained “no whole food ingredients.”
Only one of the 58 products contained a green vegetable (peas).

Misleading is a kind way of putting it. But, that's marketing for ya. The FDA will hunt you down if you claim that a food stuff cures ANYTHING...but they sit back and watch Kellogs and General Mills make ridiculous claims that their food is healthy (and healthy is a subjective term) when it is actually killing us.

new topics

top topics

join