It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans are naturally plant-eaters

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I just have to say that if we were meant to solely eat veggies, then we would not need any pharmaceuticaly made supplements. Moderation is the key here!

If all you eat is one or the other, you are going to get sick.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I eat only a couple of vegies and mainly meat.

I am always the last one to get sick.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
lol you couldnt be more wrong...humans originally vegetarians? so what are our K-9 teeth for? ripping appart leaves?

humans have eaten animals since the beginning...at first we hunted our prey...spears and sharp weapons were used to catch food to begin with..then agriculture was introduced and farming became the new way to get our meat. and i must say...we kill our food in a nicer way now than when we stuck a spear in their backs.

we have the teeth for meat eating and always have.

do you think a lion thinks chasing down and tearing open a gazel is horrible and decides to eat a plant?
no because its not natural.

you cant get all of the good and necessary nutrients without eating meat

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

On the other hand one takes offense to people eating meat and enjoying it without poking jabs at people who choose not to eat meat.

This whole tread is giving me an appetite for a big juicy hamburger with cheese!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I think humans evolved to be omnivores, and have the teeth and means to eat whatever we can. The argument for vegetarian, or vegan being the true way man should eat, I think can make some sense, but it seems we are always told to take vitamins because we don't get what we need eating an all plat diet. The vege diet appeals to me most because of the karma involved in killing animals, but on a health view, I am mostly of the belief we are carnivores, and an all meat diet is best. But personally, I am a pizza and eggroll guy. Plus I am obese and diabetic, but in my many failed diet experiments, I did find when I was on all-meat, I lost weight quickly, my hypertension when down, and my diabetes disappeared. I have not been able to maintain a vege diet to compare. I was a Hindu monk for a while and we ate vege, but we did eat sugar and flour, and potatoes, and I don't think it did much for me, I still pigged out and was fat.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Humans are not natural omnivores or plant eaters but are actually Frugivores, fruit eaters.

Unhealthy vegans/vegetarians that you see are only that way because they have an improper diet just like someone that may eat meat.

Growing your own vegetables/fruit trees from seeds that you forage yourself from the wild is the healthiest and most natural diet that a human can have.

If animals were intended to be slaughtered and eaten than the raw meat would have a sensational taste. Anything can be cooked and seasoned to taste good.

So next time you believe you're an omnivore and see some road kill on the side of the road go ahead and give it a taste - see what you think.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11118
Humans are not natural omnivores or plant eaters but are actually Frugivores, fruit eaters.

On which basis are you making this affirmation? What about people which live in the north, what do they eat in the winter?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I was raised as a vegetarian for the first 7 years of my life. After moving to the USA, my health went downhill very fast. Not because of meat consumption, but because of all of the processed crap available.

After becoming aware and wanting to change my severe health issues as a result of years of a horrible diet (which highly consisted of grains) , lifestyle and antibiotics, I went through tons of diets trying to help me.

I believe in food being the only medicine for us and the only medicine shall only be food. I went vegetarian again.. then vegan..

My health worsened and went downhill even more.

After a year, I had enough, so I went back to animal foods, but greatly improving the quality of these animal foods. Things got better, but something else needed to change due to my body still not healing enough. I came across the Raw Paleo diet and finally gave it a try after trying everything else.

After biting into my first raw steak, I immediately felt my energy returning. This is the only thing that has helped me. Everyone is different as to what their bodies can handle, but when we look at what our bodies might be "meant" to eat, this is comes the closest in my opinion and experience. Lots of raw, grass-fed, high quality animal foods with a great importance of adding enough fats.

Some people can do fine on a vegetarian or vegan diet, but unfortunately, unless you only eat wild fruits and vegetables, you're only eating either cloned foods (almost all fruits and lots of vegetables on the market) which aren't "meant" for us or completely processed junk food which certainly will not do one any good (especially all grains). Going on such a diet is very cleansing and only healthy in that regard. Feeling good and being in good health does not last forever on it either. Major deficiencies can be caused. It is not possible to get all of the essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals our body absolutely depends on for proper function through fruits and vegetables. If you look up the nutrition data on a range of quality animal meats and fats, you might be surprised. There is so much nutrition packed into a healthy animal.

I encourage everyone to find what is best for them on an individual basis, but I do not believe us humans can thrive without any animal foods. I wish I could be vegetarian or even vegan again, but that's not an option anymore.

Also, I believe fruits are wonderful and can be important to our health as long as we don't overeat them. In nature, we could not always have access to the sweet foods all the time and all year round. This is why we're meant to adapt to our local surroundings, finding real food.
edit on 22-1-2011 by SinkingSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by locster

Jane Godall is still alive and well and carrying out work to raise awareness of the plight of primates. Dian Fossey was killed while carrying out research into mountain gorillas in Rwanda in 1985.

I always had a "good" diet, I ate loads of veggies, fruit, pasta, fish etc and very little meat yet STILL had a heart attack at 40 because my body produces too much cholesterol naturally, it had nothing to do with eating meat. Vegetarians use heart disease and other supposed "meat" related illnesses to try and scare people into giving up meat. If I have another heart attack they will have to prize the cripsy bacon out of my hand while they treat me, I like meat and I am not going to be made to apologise for it !

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Some of the information is not correct, chimpanzees regularly go on hunts for other monkeys. Meat is a big part of their diet. Some of these hunts are captured on video if you look them up.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 11118

Actually, raw meats can be very appetizing. We have instincts of what to eat when it comes to true raw foods in their natural state. We can have these instincts to eat raw meat, maybe you've never given it a chance?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
lol, im done with this thread..
why not be a vegan to stop the slaugtering and havest of animals, I care for living things sorry.
We dont need MEAT why cant people get that into their MEATY heads.. im not a vegan myself, but I was just typing about it, in hope meeting others with the same Idea of PERHAPS trying to be vegan to help the suffering animals in slaughter houses.. and NO eating meat dont make you more man

...Irritability is one of the first signs of protein deficiency. Someone get this poster a steak!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The idea of meat and heart disease and cholesterol is really unfounded. It's based on the idea that you will get what you eat, like if you ate the brain of a genius, you'd be a genius. It's not founded on fact. Cholesterol is a fat that builds up, but it doesn't come from eating meat, it actually comes from eating too much bad carbs. Of course people have different personal genetics, but I recommend a book called the Schwarzbein Principle, I think I spelled that right, and it shows how flour, and pasta, are directly connected to heart disease and cholesterol.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Get yourself a time machine and travel back to the last ice age and tell that to all the people who didnt have anything else but meat and one another to eat,aslo it is a fact that mankind evolved becuase of his mixed diet of meats and non meat foods, i will agree that you can live your life without eating meat but see how long you and your family tree lasts into the future without meat,everything in moderation

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tom502

Exactly. If one were consuming true healthy sources of cholesterol, there would be no such problems.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Um, no that is highly incorrect. I suggest you stop looking up bias studies done by vegans trying to convert the world.

and as far as chimps being exclusively vegans?
Have you actually seen or spoke to anyone who has seen them in the wild? They kill each other, crack each other skulls open and just tear into the flesh, not only do they eat meat, they eat each other.

They believe the only reason our brains evolved in the first place was because we took up a high protein diet (eating meat) it's perfectly natural to consume the flesh of animals, you need to stop spreading disinformation to push your own agenda.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Gakus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by codrutoctavian

On which basis are you making this affirmation? What about people which live in the north, what do they eat in the winter?

"Preliminary studies of fossil teeth have led to the startling suggestion
that our early human ancestors (Australopithecus) were not
predominantly meat-eaters or even eaters of seeds, shoots, leaves or grasses,
nor were they omnivorous. Instead they appear to have
subsisted chiefly on a diet of fruit. Every tooth examined from the hominids of
the 12 million year period leading up to Homo Erectus
appeared to be that of a fruit-eater.

- NY Times, May 1979

www.scribd.com...

Carolus Linnaeus:
"To say that humans have the anatomical structure of an omnivore is an
egregiously inaccurate statement. The great taxonomist Carolus Linnaeus,
(1707-1778), a Swedish naturalist and botanist who established the modern
scientific method of classifying plants and animals, classified humans not as
carnivores, not as omnivores, nor even as herbivores, but as frugivores.
Linnaeus writes: Man's structure, internal and external compared with that of
the other animals, shows that fruit and succulent vegetables are his natural
food.
A few anthropologists have risen above their biases; one such is Jared
Diamond, a professor of anthropology at UCLA. Diamond has written that the
notion of man the hunter is a romantic myth: big-game hunting added little to
our food intake until after we had evolved fully modern anatomy and behavior.
Instead, our earliest ancestors lived on the wild fruit, nuts, seeds and tubers
that they gathered. Mr. Diamond puts it succinctly: I doubt the usual view that
hunting was the driving force behind our uniquely human brain and societies.
For most of our history, we were not mighty hunters but rather sophisticated
baboons."

Rynn Berry
www.whale.to/a/frugivore_h.html

Humans are naturally Frugivores.

The natural and easiest way to live off of the land without harm to another is eating fruit it's quite simple. Even eating vegetables is an act of killing off the plant whereas eating fruit is an act of helping, not killing, a plant by spreading it's seeds.

(Red) Meat is also a leading cause for heart disease the number one killer in America (sometimes switching off with cancer for the top place).
edit on 22-1-2011 by 11118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

We have sharp teeth. Therefore, we were designed to eat. There's no such thing as natural in evolution. We're all " the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel!"

And those are some really lame reasons, most of which are not true. Apes eat meat. And like us, they often eat meat for fun, not survival. Deers also eat bones when they need calcium. They will try to avoid the meat though. Humans evolving large brains was only a result of the freely available nutrients in meat. Plus, if nature got them, you might as well use them. And we did evolve to eat meat. We digest it and gain nutrients from it. Things that we did not evolve to digest include cellulose, which freely passes through the body. If we were "natural" vegetarians, one would think we would evolve to eat a common food source in them.

We sleep more because we're lazy. I sleep for around 4 hours a day and am fine. Sometimes I'll enjoy an afternoon nap. We also evolved to be apex predators so we can afford to sleep more, because we ARE going to get food.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
What a load of BS. We can't even survive without long chain fatty acids. We get those from... animals. Fish, more succinctly. If we stopped eating them, our brains essentially shrivel up. Everything has to work excessively hard to get it from other sources. Anyway, gratz for being one of hte dumbest people on earth.

I've been eating a 85% meat diet since I was born and in the prime of my life. I eat red meat daily. Am also an avid hunter and have eaten raw meat on several occasions and liked the taste of it - that led me to eat red meat. Don't let anyone tell you we don't have sharp teeth. What a joke! If someone tells you we don't, offer to bite them and show em how sharp they can be! Lol!

I've seen too many pencil thin vegetarians that look they like walked out of a concentration camp. I've not met a non-meat eater that impressed me in any way. They almost always make me ask them whether they've been to the doctor lately.

I tried atkins diet for a while - 100% meat. But I like to have oatmeal in the mornings with eggs. The rest is meat and dairy almost exclusively. When I was younger I ate more vegetables but my health was going bad and by chance i was eating more eggs and bam got healthy again. I eat a log ot eggs.

I'd stay away from that guys website, btw. He's linked with several BS organizations and is a known scammer. Just trying to give you heads up so you can protect yourself from the trash out there.
edit on 22-1-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Unhealthy vegans/vegetarians that you see are only that way because they have an improper diet just like someone that may eat meat.

Because they need additional sources of nutrients, either from processed soy products or supplements. A good (if anecdotal) example would be my partner. When she had her first baby, she was "veggie" and breast fed him. he was tiny and, even today at 7 years old, is a waif. On our second baby, also breast fed, she ate meat and he weighs more now at 6 months than the first did at 1 year. He also doesn't have the allergies that the first had.

Growing your own vegetables/fruit trees from seeds that you forage yourself from the wild is the healthiest and most natural diet that a human can have.

That's fine, if you live in the tropics, but in more extreme lattitudes fruit and veg is hard to come buy in the Winter! Your also basing your idea's on the fact our 2 million year old ancestors ate fruit, so we must! Go back 50 million years and our ancestors were mice like creatures eating eggs and small insects... What's your point?

If animals were intended to be slaughtered and eaten than the raw meat would have a sensational taste. Anything can be cooked and seasoned to taste good.

Ever tried a Blue steak? Yummy... Fish is nice raw, many meats are smoked rather than cooked so are essentially raw. What a silly idea you have. Taste is subjective anyway, so while you might not liek the taste of raw meat, others do.

So next time you believe you're an omnivore and see some road kill on the side of the road go ahead and give it a taste - see what you think.

I've been in the car with my dad and hit a deer. We scooped it up, took it to my uncle who is a farmer and butchered it. Yummy. I wouldn't eat any random one, you don;t know how long it's been there. Just like I wouldn't eat a perfectly cooked steak I find in the road. Again, very silly logic you have, bascially 1+2= 6,789,536

reply to post by 11118

I think you're confused. A far distant ancestor of Humans is not a Human. The species you describe was barely more than a bipedal monkey. There are many stages of evolution between them and modern Home Sapiens, which are omniverous.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join