It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Happens Everyday around many of us...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This has been bugging me for awhile now, so I thought I would finally get around to posting something about it.

I dont know how many of you are aware of this, but at least here where I live, ( Rhode Island) this happens every day.The only reason I know this is because I somewhat participate in it or too in a sense.

What I am referring to is the Methadone Clinics around the city. I drive a cab and part of my job is to take people to and from these places courtesy of the state.

Now I know some of my customers go to get a dose for pain, but others go to try and kick their habits. That is all fine and really none of my business what they are going for.

What bothers me is the people that don't arrive in cabs for their dose, but drive themselves to get it. This means when they leave, they are now on a pretty strong drug just driving around. Some head to work, and who knows where the other ones go. The point is they are driving amongst us.

Methadone (also known as Symoron, Dolophine, Amidone, Methadose, Physeptone, Heptadon, Phy and many other names) is a synthetic opioid, used medically as an analgesic, antitussive and a maintenance anti-addictive for use in patients on opioids. It was developed in Germany in 1937. Although chemically unlike morphine or heroin, methadone also acts on the opioid receptors and thus produces many of the same effects. Methadone is also used in managing chronic pain owing to its long duration of action and very low cost. Methadone was introduced into the United States in 1947 by Eli Lilly and Company.

Wikipedia Link

Now I know for myself, I was in the hospital a few months ago and I was given this for a pain killer.Needless to say I was quite loopie to say the least. I certainly wouldn't want to be out driving around in that condition.

With so much energy and effort going into drunk driving, I find it crazy that this is happening with no thought at all. I have to wonder how many accidents are caused because of this. How would you feel if you lost a loved one because someone just left a clinic under the influence of their dose? Would you even have a legal leg too stand on? Even just basic accident. Would their rights or your rights stand in court?

Im guessing this isnt the only state that does this. Im not even sure what can be done about it unless a law was made that they HAD to have a designated driver as well, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Anyhow, just thought I would put this out there in case you weren't aware of it. I know I wasn't until I had to deal with it. I guess it just never really occurred to me.

I realize people are driving around all the time on pills and all kinds of things. I know I had my day myself back in my youth. Amazing I came out of that intact really without killing someone. I just think this is something that is a little legally nuts if that made sense.What do you think?

new topics

join