It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about the U.S. military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This is a subject I am not quite open to everyone I know in my small little life. I'm curious about going into the U.S. military and I would like to see how people who have already been in the military view new recruits joining. My father was a Green Beret in the Army during the Vietnam War. Even though I'm a shy person I am open, helpful to others, willing to learn and I am also good at medical. I have some books and cards that discuss the human body and how you can take care of injuries. I do know there is a strong chance I could be drafted and will have to fight. I will do what I will have to do when I have to join; if I do join in the future. What do you guys think? Should I bite my tongue and sign on the dotted line? So to speak. I do know what career I would like to pursue in the future. That would be banking and or financing.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sectumsempra

Why would you think you are going to be drafted?

If you really have issues with the following the armed forces aren’t the place for you

1. Travel
2. Authority
3. Hard work (really really hard work in some cases)
4. Long stretches of boredom punctuated with bursts of intense almost frantic activity
5. Being away from family

If you like these you will probably like the armed forces

1. Order and discipline
2. Physical activity
3. Team oriented groups (did you enjoy high school team athletics?)
4. Travel
5. A meritocratic organization

Most of it depends on what kind of person you are really.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Well I'm not afraid of be drafted. There are quite a few reasons why I want to go into the military. One of them is to escape the hell that I live in and become a better person. All that you listed I would agree with.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Well, just make sure you dont bring the "hell" with you. Good luck and God bless.

What branch are you considering?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Thank you! I most likely will go into the Army. I would like the environment of the Army and how I still wouldn't have to constantly trained. I have heard the Marines are the toughest. When I was younger I was praised for how athletic I was and how I can take on more then one person. Even though I not as athletic and I can still defend myself.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I would not recommend the Army. Because it seems the have the worst quality of life. I have seen how they treat their members, and it was upsetting. I honor the Army in case anyone is wondering - it is just they have a bad track record in my eyes if anyone is hurt or injured on their dime. From 1999-2003 and then from 2003-2006 the Army medically retired the SAME amount of people - with 2 wars going on from 2003-2006 ask yourself how there could be roughly the same ammount medically retired as in the previous three year period. I also feel if one joins the Army and serves and DEPLOYS - it is complete rubish to later find Army members have PERSONALITY DISORDERS - instead of PTSD after 3-4 deployments, but the Army does a lot of this. I also know the Army was in the dirty business of making injured soldiers pay back their enlistment bonuses if they were no longer able to serve due to injury. They have a terrible track record of treatment concerning their injured and disabled members - I know this because I was involved on a state commission at one time that looked to improve Veterans issues. They may be very honorable in many ways - but taking care of broken soldiers is not one of them. This is important to consider because we are at war.

The service which may not be for you but has the most commendable track record of taking care of it's members if they are injured on duty is the US Navy. Corpsman would be the medical field. Sailors are a pretty happy bunch despite it all. If you do well in the Navy you are rewarded like cream that rises to the top with a better quality of life. You could end up at Sea, or you could end up stationed some odd place you never dreamed of, like OK City. Corpsman is a big field you could even end up stationed with Marines. It is a competitive career field.

The Marines are the few and the proud. It is a tough life - but some love it. Depends on the individual, but most who join the Corps would have never thought of another branch. It is more like a calling.

The Air Force has no doubt the absolute highest quality of life, beautiful bases - and low death tolls, although there have been casualities from this branch in current operations. The Air Force despite high quality of life has some of the unhappiest people I have ever met in its ranks. Everybody has a high quality of life and the incentive to rise to the top just isn't as rewarded.

If you are looking for something a little different, and want a rescue/police/fire responders type of job - but on the water - in boats consider the Coast Guard. They are nothing to sneeze at and have a very real mission though they are sometimes not the first branch that pops to mind when one considers the Armed Forces.

I served in both the Navy and the Air Force. I started in the Navy - and had a blast. I always thought the Air Force looked "fancy" and they do have the toys. That said they have miserable people and this shocked me, but again if you are an exceptional Airman you just get more work . . . not better orders or benefits like shore duty rotations. Just more work.

I don't know where you live, or what your plans are but I do recommend the Air National Guard if you want part time and college money. You really can enlist in this area of service, get your degree on their dime and then put in for a pilots position and end up in a cockpit.

Good Luck.
edit on 21-1-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
From past experience - 4 tours in vietnam with s.o.g .. Couple questions ..
1. Why would you want to throw away the most valuable thing you have - your life .. Fighting for corporate greed and the ego of foolish old men who cant get it up.. ?
2. Have you went mental ?
Find something better and more worthwhile to do with your life. Dont throw it away for a corrupt government fighting a war based on lies and an ungrateful public..
Your life is worth more dont throw it away..
Theres better things you can do that would make the world a better place..

top topics

join