It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dog got the rabies vaccine..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Please move if this is not appropriate:

He ended up getting the rabies vaccine the last day in December because he was overdue. Ever since he has gotten the vaccine he has been mean. Like biting, and getting territorial. He has never done this before ever. He has bitten my husband, and he has been nippy with the kids, and he goes crazy on me. This is if we want to pet him while he is laying down, or sometimes I used to be able to pick him up to take him outside, now if I try to do that he runs and jumps on the couch and gets mean, by snapping, and biting me. He is a lap dog and he hasn't broken my skin, he doesn't bite very hard. He didn't do this before he got his rabies shot, and now I am worried it could be the shot itself that has caused his change in behavior. I have tried looking it up, but the only symptoms listed with the rabies shots are physical symptoms not mental.

I am considering calling the vet and asking her what she gave him, he has never been violent after a shot in the 5 years he has lived with us, and everyday it's getting worse. What do you all think? Do you all think it's because he's traumatized after the shot or the shot itself. Has anyone vaccinated their dog with the rabies shot recently and gotten the same effects???
Any input besides the one I have already considered would be great!
edit on 21-1-2011 by mysticalzoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Is he fixed?

I had a situation with my cat before I had her done. One day she just went crazy, insane started hunting us, attacking, I locked her up in a room because usually if she was testy (never like this) she would take a nap and be in a better mood. I had her locked in the room all weekend because she would not calm down, she would go as far as to fake cry (yes I know the difference with my cat lol) and when my hubby opened the door she would attack, like full attack had to pry her off him.

Monday morning I brought her in for that and a rabies shot as well since she too was overdue. The vet told me it was hormones from wanting to get out and well....you know. After she got back home she's been a pleasure more affectionate than ever.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
For our dogs, sometimes we put them in the car and go to DQ for ice cream. They love a cone of vanilla. Perhaps your pup is just angry/sensitive to the change.
We do this so they won't associate every car ride with the vet.
Peanut butter is also a big hit.
Just saying. . . . .

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mysticalzoe

Well from my biological experience their cells will be taking a hammering and the dog may become different. But i think i can remember that this is usually due to some allergic reaction or some form of cell decay causing I think it was Lyme Disease?

Dont take my word please for i could be wrong, best advice is to give your local vet a visit

But if your dog does deteriorate further be it, more panting, less panting, further behavior issues, personality change you must see a vet because it can have a severe effect on them. My dog was hours away from death when we took him, he was in a incubator for a week!

I hope it doesnt get to that stage and I hope its just a chemical reaction
xx

EDIT: could be a hormone/chemical imbalance.
edit on 21-1-2011 by bian101 because: forgot something

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mysticalzoe

here's a link to some side effects www.dogs4dogs.com... and www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com... and www.ehow.com...

it does say that increased aggression is possible, unfortunately it doesn't give any remedies.

new topics

top topics

join