It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Penalty (effective Punishment or Cruel and Unusual)?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mako0956
Personally, I think he should have been granted this last test to clear himself since he was facing the ultimate "punishment". As in "exhaust all avenues".

I fully agree. The DNA test should definetly have been granted.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
while i definately agree that some people dont deserve to live, the problem with capitol punishment is that sometimes inocent people are sent to thier deaths through this system. not to mention it costs more to have someone on death row than to have them locked away for life, and with all the problems with the economy nowadays, we need to conserve as much money as possible. so for the most part i'm against our current system of capitol punishment.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mutehalo
while i definately agree that some people dont deserve to live, the problem with capitol punishment is that sometimes inocent people are sent to thier

I am very pro death penalty, however, the DNA test if appropriate should be an automatic thing with an appeal or even with a conviction if it is appropriate or there is eveidence to test.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Yer same here, I think he should have been allowed to have the DNA tested, cos at the end of the day, in a case like that isn't all evidence important ? cos if so, isn't ignoring a bit like saying that you can have all the evidence that you want as long as it proves you guilty. Seems that the saying guilty until proven innocent is slowly coming true

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If they have PROOF, like DNA evidence then I think EVERY murderer rapist and childmolester should be put to death.

Screw them

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
If they have PROOF, like DNA evidence then I think EVERY murderer rapist and childmolester should be put to death.

The question is how many of the anti-death penalty crowd would find mandatory testing of DNA evidence as part of a capital crimes trial acceptable and allow for a death penalty in those cases. If the DNA evidence is conclusive, how about a much shorter appeals system. Instead of 10 years on death row, have it 3-5 years?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
For those who are interested there is also a quite recent thread about juvenile executions.

EDIT: Fixed link.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by Durden]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I used to believe in the death penalty but i do not anymore.

I dont think you should take away anyones life, if you can help it.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick

But what about the life of the victem that was taken? Its not as if the death penalty is applied to many cases. Its a small percentage of the the number or murders each year to begin with. The victem had a life too.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Well unless something new comes up arguing for the use of capital punishment, which at this point I seriously doubt will happen, regarding my opinion on the matter I'll refer to my previous posts in this thread as well as the juvenile executions thread.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by Durden]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It's a very simple solution. No more death penalty at all.

No more animal testing at all.

Medical and chemical testing on criminals. If they happen to die as part of the testing. Too bad.

Animals go free. They are innocent.

Tired of punishing people for doing the right things in their life and rewarding those that break laws.

wraith

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
If the DNA evidence is conclusive, how about a much shorter appeals system. Instead of 10 years on death row, have it 3-5 years?

How about if the DNA is conclusive take them from the courthouse stright to the exacution room.

NO time on death row.

I would settle for natural life without parole for those convicted without DNA or some other ROCK SOLID proof, that way if you are wrong at least the poor SOB can have whats left of his life back.

The trouble with life regular life is it doesnt mean LIFE it just means 20 years so you could get out (here at least) in less than 5 years on a so-called life sentence.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
How about if the DNA is conclusive take them from the courthouse stright to the exacution room.
NO time on death row.
I would settle for natural life without parole for those convicted without DNA or some other ROCK SOLID proof, that way if you are wrong at least the poor SOB can have whats left of his life back.

You know Amuk, I could get on that type of program. IF you can establish quilt through DNA testing, then time to die. However, the life as you pointed out should mean "life" untill you die.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I had a thread here about 6 months ago about Capital Punishment for murderers AND rapists. Can't find it. They are incurable, why let them be a further burden on society, lord help us if they get out to offend again.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I had a thread here about 6 months ago about Capital Punishment for murderers AND rapists. Can't find it. They are incurable, why let them be a further burden on society, lord help us if they get out to offend again.

Mako and I had a length thread on this type of subject as well. Can you rehab these people? No you really cannot. Let me ask those that support rehab etc: would you want a murderer or child molester that has been "cured" living next to your family?

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Wouldn't want them in my city, let alone neighborhood. BTW, I found it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Wouldn't want them in my city, let alone neighborhood. BTW, I found it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cool, I will check it out. Do you guys have a "Meghans Law" in Canada.

Sexual offenders hae to register with the police, you can go to the station and look up where they are located in the city. The more progressive City of San Jose has an online search data base. You can check it out here
www.sjpd.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I don't know if you'ld call it like Megan's law, but here the neighborhood is made aware of their presense.
Screw their privacy, look out for my kids.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I don't know if you'ld call it like Megan's law, but here the neighborhood is made aware of their presense.
Screw their privacy, look out for my kids.

Excellent. Everybody should be aware I have a 2 year old son to protect. IMHO, they lost their rights to privacy when they committed thier crimes. I only wish it would show paroled violent crimes in my hood as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick

But what about the life of the victem that was taken? Its not as if the death penalty is applied to many cases. Its a small percentage of the the number or murders each year to begin with. The victem had a life too.

Like i said i dont think you should take away anyones life. So what about the victims life? I know the victim had a life to.

If i was murdered then i wouldent want the person who did it to die, Why should they die, because the stopped the physical body carrying on its reactions.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join