It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Innocent Man Brain Dead after "Hard Shove" by Police Officer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.
This post spawns from the numerous threads about law enforcement and people's rights being violated, real or imagined. It is my desire to help you understand your rights when dealing with an officer ... This was from another thread last week that is no longer too active right now. It was from member "SEEASHRINK" and I would really like his input about this situation. Any one else?

I don't mind giving my opinion at all, it's not like I am in hiding. If you knew me and read all my reponses to this type of activity by cops thourghout ATS, then you know how I feel about it. The cop was heavy handed.
Now, having said that, I wasn't there. I don't know what the cop "thought" he knew. If his info was that the guy had a knife and had been involved in a stabbing, then he probably thought that he was doing him a favor by not shooting him.

I do expect to get flamed and thats OK, I've grown accustomed to the cop haters on here who never want to consider both sides of the story. And of course the ones that want to live in a world with no cops at all. Oh, and the ones that will never, ever, consider the thousands of things good cops do everyday. You will not see that story on here.

It's a terrible tragedy. But, I'm going to continue to do my job and do it well. Hopefully I can retire without making such a horrible mistake.

Seeashrink

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.
reply to post by MrWendal

Im actually with you on this. I just was making a point that he was conspicuosly(sp?) absent in this discussion.

Give a guy a break will ya. The discussion is only 3 pages old. I'm here, take your best shot.
Seeashrink

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
What is really revealing in this video (and I haven't noticed any mention) is what the officer does after he cracks the guy’s head full force into the wall and he’s lying totally unconscious. The officer then proceeds to pull on the unconscious victim as if he’s still resisting arrest and flops him around like a rag doll with his head bouncing off the pavement causing even more damage.

These freaks are not human… they have no empathy for the public even after they knock them out stone cold.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
The pig should be prosecuted and put away. If that victim was my brother I would put a bullet in that cop if he wasn't sent away for 10 yrs.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
My heart just broke.

I hope Christopher gets well real soon.

Police response: "We look at this as a tragic accident, nothing more than that.
when we come to work, when any of us come to work to begin our shift,
we don't plan on hurting anybody..."

Police would charge a motorist, who injured someone in a "tragic accident",
going to work, to begin their shift,
who didn't plan on hurting anybody
wouldn't they?

Get well Christopher.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hammaraxx
Police response: "We look at this as a tragic accident, nothing more than that.
when we come to work, when any of us come to work to begin our shift,
we don't plan on hurting anybody..."

My life in london proved that wrong.

Like i said so many times, police go down pubs planning with friends how they will destroy lifes for there friends. The person they target never needs to do anything, as everyone thinks the police tell the truth, lol.

We saw at the g20 in 2009 that the police murdered a man in london and he was just walking home.

Amazing.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It's time they change how police are trained. Let them know they will be brought up on charges if they pull stupid stuff like in that video. They need a citizens review board, not fellow officers reviewing the case. If they don't do something about stuff like this other officers could pay the price for it one day.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I'm sorry, but none of the questions you've asked would warrant such a brutal, forceful attack. I don't care if he did have illicit drugs on him or had shoplifted or even been in a fight the attack on him was worse than the crime he was mistakenly being chased for.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by GlennCanady

Probable cause how? The guy stopped running. I'd still call it an accident based off known info, but the police should lose his job for being a retard, if for nothing else.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I am totally loosing faith in these law enforcement officers, waste of tax money.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
There is a law on the books that says you can stop these armed revenue collectors when they step out of line like this but I still can't remember what it's called. It's been talked about in threads similar to this so hopefully someone posting here will remember and share it again.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spinster
"The police insist that no laws were broken and it was a tragic accident"

So if i where to attack an innocent man and put him in a coma would they have the same view?

Cops can't break laws. ever. It's the 4th law of thermodynamics, now.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
that pguy needs to have his testicles deepfried while still attached then fed to him...

absolutely no reason for what he done did....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GlennCanady

Clearly the guy was NOT running from the officer. He looked to be walking along the corridor and then glanced to his left to see someone running towards him at full speed. He made a natural first reaction to avoid the impending danger BEFORE his brain had a chance to register that it was a police officer running at him. By then it was too late and the officer hit him.

This is a definite case of manslaughter or negligent homicide ... the police officer should be brought up on charges and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Period.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
An update on this case. As mentioned earlier the family filed a lawsuit and it has been settled for $10mil.

King County settles lawsuit over deputy's shove for $10 million

King County spokeswoman Christine Lange said the county agreed to pay $10 million to settle the case. The Harris family had been seeking $25 million.

"We believe that this outcome is the best possible resolution to this case," Lange said.

This article also contains a few more details about the incident that I had not seen before. Such as;

Witnesses said the incident began when several men, some covered in blood, ran into a convenience store where Harris had been shopping. Deputies chasing down the suspect were mistakenly told by witnesses that Harris was the man they wanted. Harris had not been in the fight, but he ran.

The surveillance video shows the end of the chase as moviegoers are exiting from the Cinerama theater, about 2½ blocks from where the chase began.

Harris comes into view, makes a slight turn and slows down as Paul gives him a fierce shove, knocking him off his feet. Harris' head slams into the base of a tiled wall outside the movie house.

Two witnesses say Harris seemed to be stopping and said, "I don't have anything, I didn't steal anything," just before he was hit by Paul, who weighed about 270 pounds, about 100 pounds more than Harris.

One deputy acknowledged on the witness stand that the deputies did not identify themselves to Harris before they started chasing him.

The sheriff did issue an apology to the family for the incident.

At least now the family can hopefully afford to give this guy the care he needs.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

The money is fine and dandy although the tax payers will be the ones paying for it not the Police department

But did the cop get any charges at all?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Doesn't matter if he had drugs.
Doesn't matter if he shoplifted.
Doesn't matter if he had a warrant.

It was obviously over the top. PAID LEAVE? WHAT A JOKE OF A PUNISHMENT!!!

"So you pretty much killed someone. Heres a paid vacation. You just have to find a station to work at."

I hope street justice serves this man well.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join