It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14-Year-Old Boy Shoots Own Dad And Grandma

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

It's not the actual content of the video games that are making the youth crazy. It's the fact that parents let them play them all day until they become obsessed with them. Then they tie up all those crazy adolescent emotions into these games and tech and material possessions. Ever read the stories of kids killing themselves because their parents took away their xbox's? Just for like a day, they jump in the river. Or they freak out enough to kill over a canceled WOW account.

That is what is making kids nowadays nuts.

That kind of speaks to my problem with modern video games. The new structure of games is much more "reward" "achievement" "award" based. The games light up and give "prizes" for mini-accomplishments within the games. This positive reenforcement activates the same brain activity as real accomplishment. It saps motivation to accomplish anything in the real world, as a users can get their fix of achievement brain chemistry from their $300 dollar skinner box (or even from free online "casual" games).

So I could see people cracking when they have the source of their sense of accomplishment taken away from them.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Maybe people will realize we need to stop dousing ourselves with prescription drugs? Hmm, maybe? Or do we need another 10,000 or so psychopaths to shoot up their families in order to finally live off the chemical grid? You decide.
edit on 21-1-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Say you had a bad day at work, or school, somewhere. Your driving home and someone just jumps out or tries to run past your car and you have slam on the brakes. I have heard people tell me, and I have myself, just say out loud I should just floor it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is not a gun control thread.

Good. I'm glad you made that distinction. I think it was the parents fault for not maintaining strict control in their home over said firearm. The Kid needs therapy not jail time IMO.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by njh1988

Say you had a bad day at work, or school, somewhere. Your driving home and someone just jumps out or tries to run past your car and you have slam on the brakes. I have heard people tell me, and I have myself, just say out loud I should just floor it.

No, never. Sorry, that's pretty demented.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by njh1988

Not sure that makes it less creepy. The possibility of going to jail shouldn't be a deterrent. The deterrent should come long before that from empathy or respect of your fellow man.

Reminds me of some kids I knew in grade school who when asked why stealing was wrong answered "because you can go to jail."

That attitude shows a massive disconnect with ones own humanity.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
We are experiencing a systemic meltdown of all family values, thanx to more media and technology babysitting kids, while their families are forced to work 2 or more jobs.

and even worse younger parents have the same pre-occupations as kids with entertainment.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm pretty sure I put in there "or kill someone" as a reason not to do it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Viral memes. Interesting.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

It might be, but I would never react on it or try to accomplish that goal. I have more self discipline than that, which is what kids now days need that a good parents to watch them.

link   

It may be demented but its pretty normal too. Nothing pisses me off more than a gaggle of kids in your path who intentionally slow down and take their time to get off the road, staring at you all the time. It makes me want to run them over!

That is one reason I don't own a gun because I wouldn't trust myself with it.

link   

Originally posted by wayno
Those family photos are rife with angst and agony. The great aunt was apparently in a hospital bed. My feeling is that there was a lot of sadness in that home. Was he trying to end the misery -- not just for himself, but for everyone?

Speaking of the photos in that article, what exactly is the functionality of the "Spartanburg Public Safety Department", and why did they have almost mugshot looking photos of the entire family on file? Seems there is something missing from this story.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I;m laying odds this kid was on some kind of anti-depressant or another.
Very sad and tragic.

This is key here. Columbine was the same situation lots of anti-depressants were used as well.

This is very odd.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Boys will be boys, how many dumb ass things did you do at that age? Raised in a culture of continual conflict, tv, video games, war it all adds up. Not to mention that thing which is not to be mentioned on this thread. There was no malice in it, just stupidity.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I agree with TrueBrit. There is no conspiracy in someone being a psychopath.

And I doubt that jail will change it, and neither will therapy. Unless someone has heard of some new therapy that transplants a conscience.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
can't remember which it was the original or the remake. The Amityville horror in one version if I remember it correctly he said the voices made him do it, than in the other he said he didn't know why he did it.. also it was about the son killing the family in their sleep weird connection I know.. tangent I know but on a side note.. video games don't cause people to kill as video game sales grew youth crime went down..

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

And I doubt that jail will change it, and neither will therapy.

Agreed. this kid is going to suffer enough when he realises the consequences of his actions.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I think it was the parents fault for not maintaining strict control in their home over said firearm. The Kid needs therapy not jail time IMO.

Slayer this is just one of the reasons I posted my recent thread, about children needing love, compassion and a family that provides stability. Seems everyone is lost, IMO.

Sad story.

A Plea For Help

edit on 21-1-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Why is THIS not national news?

Why am I watching straight "Gifford Status Updates" on every goddamn channel?!

WHO GIVES A SH1T! It was a tragedy, it was 2 weeks ago, I don't need to know every time she raises an eyebrow, or passes gas. It was a tragic event. An awful one. But, it was 2 weeks ago!!

You want to keep reliving a story that will have a far greater impact on peoples lives than this ONE person? (that they are focusing on, I realize a 6yo girl, and 4 others are dead, and 14 injured) Let's revisit the BP situation in the Gulf. That sh1t certainly ain't over.

Or, perhaps... this story.

[hops off soapbox, and sighs]

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Same reason kidnappings are ignored unless it happens to be a pretty white girl.

We arent supposed to care about ourselves or the average person or the average family. We're only supposed to care about the beautiful people and the rich people and the oligarchs of the world.

You and me and this kids family, we're all #. But some pretty 15 year old girl who gets kidnapped or one of our glorious leaders who gets hurt are gods chosen and deserve all of our attention and prayers.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join