It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Atheists' thought's on Quantum Mechanics?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

I'll watch for your thread.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by SlyFox_79

Anyway, a non-religious theist would be someone who believes in a concept of a deity without adhering to a specific religious group. There would also be the concept of a deist, which basically posits that a deity started the universe and then...well, the deity seemingly had better things to do.

I wouldn't say I'm a non-religious theist. The only thing I am confident in saying is that nature is divine, I really don't need more. I don't like that word "deity," doesn't feel right. Truth be told, whatever it is out there if, if something is out there, I don't think it is a diety, god, consciousness, whatever. Whatever it is, it is far beyond our comprehension as of now and anyone trying to spread his/her take on it just looks kinda pathetic. The only reason why I ponder this subject is because I personally felt that "something." It didn't feel like a god or consciousness, it felt like I was one with everything, completely in the present, flowing with nature. I don't think it was divine but more me being in the present with everything. How many times a day do you do that...not often. We are always thinking in the future or past or the present because of the future or past. I think this is more about just letting everything go and going with the flow.
Other than that Learning and Knowledge are my Gods and let Truth be my salvation!

And yeah, I'd try looking into some scientific sources on quantum mechanics, though it's a very difficult subject to say the least. This is actually why I find it so hard to talk to new agers and 'mystics' about the subject because they like to act as if they know everything about a subject on which there isn't a total consensus.

Very difficult seems like an understatement. I had a feeling that most new agers and mystics use QM philosophy to justify their beliefs but don't fully understand it scientifically, mathematically, whatever... With that being said, how much do you really understand. I felt I was starting to hijack some of these philosophies when I looked at the formula's. How can I ever understand QM without knowing the science behind it? It all looks like another language.

I'll come up with some references, but it'll take a while as I'm in a busy period of my life.

That would be much appreciated, Thank you!
It's conversations like ours that keep me sane, sadly I don't know too many people who I can I have conversations like this with.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Do you think one can know anything?
If so, how?
If not, can one find Truth without knowing?

How do we know we exist?

I ask you your opinion because you seem like the more realistic, pragmatic, grounded type of person than I am. I also assume you have the philosophical depth to understand these questions.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlyFox_79
....Very difficult seems like an understatement....

it is and it isnt. i think the problem lies in the perceived complexity of the subject. and in attempting to grasp the perceived complexity, people often overshoot the mark.

you do not have to have a degree in chemistry to boil a kettle of water.
you do not have to consult physicist (or a guru) to kick a soccer ball.

similarly, quantum effects are going on around you all the time and can be pretty easy to conceptualize.

one of the great points of conflict, for those whom argue about these things, is in applying the principles of quantum mechanics to large-scale objects (i believe madnessinmysoul used potatoes earlier). but even the simplest of persons knows that what is true at one level of reality must certainly be true at any other level. you asked about the nature of truth, or how to know something. this, IMO, is the nature of truth: that it crosses levels. such is the nature of a metaphor.

to illustrate the simplicity, i will pose a question that i have become quite fond of:

"can you hear the shape of a drum?"

i would hope that you answer yes. how is this possible? any physical solid discrete object and its functional characteristics can be represented completely by a similarly complex isomorphic waveform.

this can be proven by the simple fact that the reverse is also true: you can rebuild the drum solely from the sonic frequency data......assuming that your waveform is sufficiently detailed. what is really amazing about this example is that it illustrates the exchange of information that is implicated in quantum mechanics.

when you hear the drum, you re-build the drum inside of your mind. some might argue that a mental conceptualization is not a "thing", but assuming that it is, you have effectively made a transformation from thing to no-thing to thing. whats more: you have crossed a meta-level of reality by representing the *drum* inside of the *brain*.

waveform = discrete object

naturally, the details of making such a representation of anything are monstrously difficult. this paper HERE outlines the current efforts of science and math to understand the drum question. amazingly, YOU can understand by direct experience how this is possible WITHOUT any of the math. YOU are a quantum simplicity machine!

P.S. i wrote a reply to your OP which is at the bottom of the last page. we are not in the business of affirming mysticism. by understanding quantum mechanics, you may endup an atheist yourself. hahaha
edit on 22-1-2011 by tgidkp because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4   >>

join