It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Every Illinois Student Now REQUIRED by Law to Pray at School Every Day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A new Illinois law went into effect yesterday forcing every single student in the entire state, no matter what their religious denomination or belief, to pray for a minimum of fifteen seconds at the beginning of class every day. There must be complete silence in the classrooms during this time. A number of high school students polled yesterday didn’t even know such a law was in the making. Every student polled thought the law was ridiculous unless it was in a Catholic or Religious School, but certainly not appropriate for secular and public schools. High school teachers I polled thought it would cut into already too-short class time and would ultimately trivialize the perceived importance of prayer. Non-religious parents, when confronting school officials about the forced prayer are told that their children must sit silently and have a moment of contemplative silence if they choose not to pray.

Personally, I pray when I get up in the morning. I wouldn’t wait to go to school to do it; not with a bunch of high-school friends around, distracting me. After all, when you’re in school, you’re there to learn those tangible essentials required to get you a career. My praying comes in a quiet moment of time when I am alone, or when I am in church. And I don’t know about you, but fifteen seconds of praying isn’t going to be enough for me.

This law is another example of how Christian zealots are working their way into government, blurring the line between church and state that our Forefathers so wisely drew for us. It is a shameful manipulation of an entire populace to succumb to the increasingly brutal iron fist that *some* (not all) Christians are wielding in Politics.

edit on 21-1-2011 by jupiter869 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Reply to post by jupiter869

Christian zealots

Nobody else prays/meditates/reflects? Just christian zealots?

Are moments of silence also a christian zealot plot?

Is it really mandatory? How can it be enforced? How can you tell when somebody is or is not "praying?"

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I know that when I was in school, we always said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, then there was a short 10-15 second moment of silence. Is this talking about something different?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The only enforcement for kids is to be sent to the principal's office if they are not silent. For teachers, if reported not maintaining the silence, disciplinary action will result in bad performance reviews, and ultimately if continued to be ignored, suspension.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Did you have a link to this? A "moment of silence" every day is a hell of a lot different than being forced to pray. Your OP comes across like the students are being forced to clasp hands and "praise Jesus"? Witch Im sure is deffinately not the case. We had a "moment of silence" every day when I was in school. I didn't pray one single time, nor did I see anyone else praying. But I would respect any student that took those 15 seconds and praised their God or Gods or whatever.

In other words.... Whats wrong with 15 seconds of silence?

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Clearly they cant force you to think about praying, Id just sit there and think about Women till everyne finishes parying to their respective deity

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
The only enforcement for kids is to be sent to the principal's office if they are not silent. For teachers, if reported not maintaining the silence, disciplinary action will result in bad performance reviews, and ultimately if continued to be ignored, suspension.

If the teacher tells you to be silent and you don't, you SHOULD go to the principles office. Whats the big deal with following directions in class again?

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You can find some info in this article. Federal Court Reinstates...

ETA: Another link that may be helpful Lake County Schools...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. I didn't know it was a done deal. Again.

edit on 21-1-2011 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

To be honest it is stated as "the Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act" That has been lifted, So the OP is allmost right

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowsecretxx
I know that when I was in school, we always said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, then there was a short 10-15 second moment of silence. Is this talking about something different?

Yep, me too! It was respectful and patriotic and educational. I wouldn't have my kids in any school that didn't do something like this.

15 seconds of silence is not "forced prayer."

Actually for a teacher, 15 seconds of silence is the answer to their prayers!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

So in other words, if they had just named it something else, people wouldn't have complained about it?

"The 15 seconds of Silence Act" =

The word prayer in anything =
?

MOTF!
edit on 21-1-2011 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
If the OP read the law, he would see that its a moment of silence, not prayer. I guess he saw prayer and associated it with Christians.

link   
Here is a link:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Friendly note to the OP: please provide a link or else people will be skeptical, in this case it checks out but all the more reason to give us something to go off of.

So if I was a student, could I sit on the ground Indian-style and meditate during the moment of silence? That would be fun. Sometimes I want to go back to school just to cause a commotion but I'd be expelled before long.

link   
Well, either way I see nothing wrong with a moment of silence to do whatever it is you need to reflect upon. Sometimes I would think about our fallen heroes, sometimes I would pray, and sometimes I would just look around. Nothing wrong with a moment of silence imo.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
If the OP read the law, he would see that its a moment of silence, not prayer. I guess he saw prayer and associated it with Christians.

It is true that it is called a moment of silence, but what is their real motive in this moment of silence if not prayer? Is it okay to take a quick snooze during this moment of silence? (so long as you don't snore of course).
edit on 21-1-2011 by filosophia because: spelling and grammar, what else?

"Nothing in the text ... limits students' thoughts during the period of silence; the text mandates only one thing -- silence," wrote Judge Daniel Manion.

So I guess the students could get a nice nap in if they wanted.
edit on 21-1-2011 by filosophia because: added a quote

"nothing in the text...limits the student's thoughts."

Well I'd hope not, otherwise hello 1984.
edit on 21-1-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

We always did it right after the Pledge of Allegiance. It was kind of like a respect thing, or reflecting on what we have because of the freedoms. We could pray if we chose, and no one would know. I prayed a few times, but I think the moment of silence is just for reverance in regards to the Pledge of Allegiance.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Reply to post by filosophia

but what is their real motive in this moment of silence if not prayer?

That's a bizarre concern. There is no way to force anyone to "pray."

Even if there was some crazy social pressure like all the "cool" kids started praying there's no way for the impressionable wannabees to know who or what the "cool" kids are praying to unless they started doing it out loud. Which would violate the moment of silence and land them in the principals office.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just to bring a little humor to the thread:

"As long as there are Algebra tests, there will be prayer in schools."

And as someone who has worked in education, 15 seconds of silence is a wonderful way to start the day. If the children are praying silently and the teacher non-biased toward any particular faith, I see no problem with it. It's not as if there is an evangelist there threatening the students with hellfire if they don't pray the way the teacher or principal sees fit.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

They do not have to pray, it is a moment of silence. Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to say an entire prayer in 15 seconds.

I don't understand the problem, do non religious people not need a moment to gather their thoughts before getting down to business?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Reply to post by filosophia

I cant speak for the people who brought this law into effect. But im a believer and forced prayer avails nothing, it just turns people away from God, it doesnt draw them nearer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join