It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unbowed China leader warns US

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

China has a HUGE Coal reserve that almost rivals the US....

They can and have been using that for manufacturing. The oil is for defense and domestic use. They have and will continue pushing slowly into central Asia. Stay tuned on that front.

US troops in Afghanistan anyone?

Bueller?

Anyone?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Why does China hate the U.S. messing with Taiwan?

The same reason the U.S. hated Russia messing with Cuba. China doesn't want a U.S. military base anywhere near it. By supporting Taiwan we are allowed Naval and Air access a country that only 100 miles from the Chinese mainland.

There is no way our military leaders would ever sign off on a deal to give Taiwan back to China, it is just too strategically important to our future presence in the region. However, our retarded government spending and the amount of debt we own the Chinese, might make our political leaders sell Taiwan to China. But even if that happened, as someone said before me, we'd still have bases in South Korea, Japan, and the Philippines on China's East coast. Possibly even Vietnam too. Then to the West of China we have India and Afghanistan, which technically shares a border with China. If I was Chinese I’d definitely be weary of the U.S. presence surrounding us.

Rockpuck, thanks for the link! It’s very interesting about the oil around Taiwan and in the South China sea, I was not aware.

edit on 21-1-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by SLAYER69

China and the US have been politically wrestling over the Taiwan issue for decades. Both China and Taiwan are doing just fine economically speaking. Hell, they even trade between themselves in the billions. It's been that way for years.

Unless China wants to force the issue of reunification there should be no issues with maintaining the status quo.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see how the US Government would handle it if a US state were to secede.??
There has been some talk from a few states..

False read of the issue. An island is an inherent sovereignty. There is a legitimate Taiwan polity, quite apart from Beijing.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Oil wouldn't be just for domestic use.. but for exporting -- the US exports most of it's oil for instance. But if China had a massive oil reserve, even outside the South China Sea, which is rumored to be larger than any MEs country, it could set China's currency to be the Reserve currency of the World.

Hence China trying to reassure Americans this week they don't seek "to dominate" .. though it might happen accidentally anyways..

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by backinblack

Now, Let me ask you a question....

What is your stance on Tibet?

I say leave Tibet alone..
It's too small a place to worry about..
But then the Chinese, like much of Asia, tend to act on the past.
Tibet/China relationship over the centuries hasn't been ideal with Tibet siding with the Mongols against China..

It;s not as cut and dry as a lot of people think..
They share a long and brutal past and it wasn't always the Chinese that were brutal...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
China sees it as a small part of the whole, While the US somewhat stands on it being it's own entity.

I traveled to Taiwan recently and it seems they want to emphasize the aboriginal aspect of their culture as of late, and my theory is that they do it for many reasons including political ones: "Hey look, we have a lot of Austronesian people around here, we are different". Which is partially true. I made a couple of very nice videos of aboriginal dances while there. I bet every Austronesian folk down there also speaks Mandarin anyhow.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Oil wouldn't be just for domestic use.. but for exporting -- the US exports most of it's oil for instance.

Actually...

We receive, process and send back out fuel for many others. But we consume most of what we produce here. China on the other hand has pretty much gone shopping globally working out deals with all the remaining smaller producers that have been left over by the Major Western powers.

Her demand for oil will out strip any find unless it's so massive it could eclipse Russian and Persian gulf reserves. In that case Russia would be in a bad fix. They are relying heavily on their fuel sales to the EU and would hate competition. Which by the way the EU hates the idea of relying on Russia for fuels. So if China attempted to become a major fuel exporter then it would actually do more harm than good for the global fuel producers collective economies.

IMHO.
edit on 21-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Interesting.

Like I said we should politically maintain a hands off approach on the topic.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
It is impossible to let China bow on issues related with Taiwan, and i think this is also why the sino-amirican tie up and down recently. However it is also impossible for US to give up the Taiwan Relations Act.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ackeiyword

Interesting perspective.
Care to elaborate?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join