It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide Tourists Make Swiss Uneasy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Suicide tourism it's sometimes called. Switerland = Dignitas.
Frankly ... I'm of the opinion the entire planet should use Switzerland as a starting model for this.
(It's too expensive, that's why I said 'starting' model)
ATS Thread - IMHO Legalize Physician Assisted Suicide

Although it's not my country and technically they can do what they want and don't care about my opinion - I hope that the politicians do NOT get a foothold in the process in Switzerland. Suffering people from outside of Switzerland look to that country as a possible future source of relief. It's working well so naturally the politicians want to step in and mess it up. (kinda like the internet! )

I can understand if the gov't was stepping in to make sure the process went more smoothly or that there weren't any glitches as the person partook of assisted suicide, but it sounds like they are trying to put the squeeze on those providing this service to terminally/chronically ill people.

Bloomberg News

Former Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf has proposed making the practice more difficult by demanding oversight by doctors who aren’t connected with one of the country’s four right-to-die organizations. Switzerland is the destination of choice for people from abroad who want to die. The office of the country’s top legal official is pushing to change that.

While assisted suicide is permitted in the Netherlands, Belgium and the U.S. states of Oregon, Washington and Montana, only Switzerland allows doctors to help foreigners end their lives. More than 25 percent of the 380 assisted suicides in Switzerland during 2009 involved foreigners, most of whom died after drinking water laced with a lethal dose of barbiturates.

(Suicide organization from Switzerland) EX International made a statement - Here's their website and here is their statement translated -

" Those Swiss politicians who want to change the rules on assisted suicide behave like moral apostles .... They are backward-looking people, entangled in the Christian belief that human beings don’t have the right to make decisions on when to end their lives.”

Anyways ... anyone who's interested ... feel free to read up and/or leave comments/discussion.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I believe people should have the right to end their life with consultation between the doctor and family. I have not been through a terminal illness, but some of them look and sound like a living hell just waiting for that last breath to finally arrive. As a nation we have no problems going out killing and inflicting pain and suffering in the name of war. I consider killing in the name of compassion to end suffering a lot more righteous and justified as long as it is done in an open and transparent way.

join