It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence of young universe: Planets still here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Now, I am not a physisist... can't even spell the word, but last night, something occured to me.

The universe, by modern standards, is what, 4.6 billion years old, correct? If that is the case, why is it we still have planets?

This is what I was thinking about...

There are two things keeping our solar system together: the sun's gravity, and the speed of which the planets revolve around the sun. The planets try to move in a straight line, but the gravitational pull of the sun keeps pulling them back in (thus, an orbit). The speed of the planet keeps it moving away, but the pull keeps it in place. But what I don't understand is this:

Every day, a planet looses a bit of it's momentum, due to the effect of the sun pulling on it, right? But at what point would the planet loose enough forward momentum to counter the sun drawing it in?

Then I pictured our solar system as a great big whirlpool. The innermost planets move faster than the outer... as would be expected with the sun's gravity. The sun's pull is drawing the inner planets in faster and faster, creating the downward spiral, whereas the outer planets are barely effected.

Which then makes me think, foolishly or not, why we still have planets.

Wouldn't the inner planets have been drawn in while the outer escaped?

It's amazing what being outside all day, coupled with lack of sleep, can do to one's mind...

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Actually
the universe is thought to be at least 12 billion years old.. the earth alone is 6...
It's either the universe or the solar system that is 12 billion years old... probably the former

The planets dont lose momentum, they are still technically accelerating (Velocity is a vector function, and as such, a change indirection means acceleration), so they are still accelerating and as such, they continue to have an increase in momentum

some outer planets do escape, scientists have found them floating around in space, star-less
it has however, been postulated that they do get sucked in and absorbed by the sun, it is speculated by some that there was a planet to which this happened in our solarsystem... There's a thread called The Fifth Planet somewhere

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Lol, there's a reason why you're not a physicist. The current age of the universe is estimated to be at AROUND 14 billion years old. The earth is estimated to be around 4.6 billion. No, the planets do not get sucked in to the sun, lol.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
According to the most recent measurements and calculations, the universe is thought to be 13.7 billion years old (source: NASA), and the earth is around 4.7 billion years old.

Also, as far as I know, we are going actually towards the outside of the solar system, a few centimeters a year.

Who remembers that planet found a few months ago that was estimated to a respectable age of 13 billion years old? A giant gaseous planet around I don't remember which star. A search could surely find it.

The universe is so amazing...

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Yeah yeah
4.6 is alot different than 12 or 14 billion...

But hey, I could of used the religious number of... what was it... 4000 (?) years old.

In regards to planets not being sucked into suns... isn't it said (I'll find and edit later) that the moon itself is moving closer to the Earth? Could not the same be said for planets?

*EDIT* Just found this... seems we are all wrong. Solar repulsion keeps planets in place?

www.strepulsion.com...

[edit on 11-7-2004 by soothsayer]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
But hey, I could of used the religious number of... what was it... 4000 (?) years old.

oops! that would be 6000 years

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
isn't it said (I'll find and edit later) that the moon itself is moving closer to the Earth? Could not the same be said for planets?

Not really, tidal forces slowly force the moon away from Earth. While slowing the Earths rotation.

Earth-Moon Interaction.

The Earth is also moving away from the Sun (a very very tiny amount) due to tidal forces. A larger cause for the Earth to be moving away from the sun is because the sun's mass is shrinking as it burns off its fuel. Don't panic though, even this isn't a particularly large effect.
Earth Moving away from the Sun.

E_T

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
A larger cause for the Earth to be moving away from the sun is because the sun's mass is shrinking as it burns off its fuel. Don't panic though, even this isn't a particularly large effect.

Yeah... and it takes billions of years before sun "cookes" earth so there's still plenty of time.
Unless mankind self-terminates itself or "cosmic billiard" throws "planet killer" to collision course.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
That's right. If I'm not wrong, and obviously if there is no big collision, earth can still safely rotate around the sun in similar conditions as today for several billions of years. So no panic needed. I'm sure by then, if something will happen, we would have been able for ages to move to a better place...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I logon the website www.strepulsion.com of Dr.Navinchandra K.Shah,astrophysicist and director of the Indian Astrophysical Reseach Centre,Hubli 580020,India. This website proves that one to four centuries old fundamental theories and laws established by Galileo, Newton and Einstein in physical science are wrong and need major corrections and modification.
As per strepulsion-physics, the new branch of science established by Dr.N.K.Shah and associates, the sun and stars exerts high intensity STELLAR THERMONUCLEAR REPULSION FORCE in short STREPULSION FORCE - not gravitation. Newton's gravitational law is no more universal.This is limited to nonstellar bodies thatis planetary bodies only.
This force is generated by thermonuclear reactions in stars which is resulted in imbalanced stellar atoms's proton-proton collision. In this nuclear reaction, 80% of stellar mass converted into Strepulsion Force and rest in form of light,heat and plasma wind.
Nonstellar bodies exerts force of gravitation.In the solar system, the sun exert REPULSION FORCE while all rest bodies exert GRAVITATIONAL FORCE. Both reverse forces counterbalances each other ar orbital distances of planets. So planets and satellites remain fixed in their orbits.
By interection of Repulsion and Attractional forces a third kind of force is generated. This is RETRACTION FORCE. This force keep bodies in revolution and rotation.
So the solar-system, galaxies and universe is balanced by Repulsion and Gravitational forces and in spherical motion by Retraction. Observed EXPANSION,DISPERSION,EJECTION, EXPLOSION AND RADIATION in stellar universe are activated by strepulsion force. SORLOD-SPACE-SYSTEM is the new space technology explained in the website in which all three forces are utilised to navigate the solar system at velocity equals to 10% velocity of light - to dominate the solar system and the galaxy.
This is a revolutionary science website having strength to change the course of modern science.
Prof. George M.Robinson,
[email protected]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by soothsayer

The stuff that makes up our 4.5 Billion year old solar system HAD to have come from an ancient star (or stars) that exploded long before our solar system existed. Elements heavier than iron are ONLY created as a by-product of a supernova.

So there could have been other long-gone planets in other long-dead solar systems that existed before ours.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
To answer your question, no, the earth is not slowing down. It will not slow down unless acted upon by an outside force i.e. a collision, another stars gravitation, etc. This is because there is no friction in a vacuum, which space is. If a car and a feather were placed in a vacuum with a gravitational force pulling down, both would fall at the same rate.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
STREPULSION-PHYSICS:
I have gone through the website www.srepulsion.com and also followed Nasa-Ads on strepulsion-Physics. I feel -one to four centuries old theories and laws of Galileo,Newton and Einstein need major corrections and modifications. Newton's law of Gravitation is no more universal. The sun and stars exerts Stellar Termonuclear Repulsion force in short STREPULSION-FORCE(SRF), not gravitation. Gravitation is limited to nonstellar bodies as planets, which are free from thermonuclear reaction. In the solar system, the sun exerts REPULSION while planets exerts Gravitation. So planets neither fall into the sun by gravitation nor flungaway by Repulsion. Both reverse forces counterbalance each other at orbital distance. So planets remain in orbit. If the sun realy exerted gravitation - all planets and satellites should have collepsed into the sun billions of years ago. This is because mass of the sun is 99.9% of the solar system.The existence of system proves the sun exerts REPULSION,not gravitation. Stellar mass under thermonuclear reaction converted into radiating energy(20%)that is in form of light and heat and rest 80%mass converted into Stellar thermonuclear Repulsion force. So active force exerted by the sun and stars is REPULSION, NOT GRAVITATION.
The universe is balanced by REPULSION and GRAVITATIONAL FORCES and in spherical motion by Retraction or REVOLTATION force which is generated by interaction of Repulsion and gravitation.SORLOD SPACE SYSTEM (SSS) is new space navigational system under Strepulsion-Physics
having strength to lead present space programs ahead by a century. Strepulsion and Revoltation forces are discovered by Dr.Navinchandra K.Shah and Prof.pankaj N.Jain of Hubli 580020,India and Strepulsion-Physics is established by the same scientists.

Prof.John N.Wills, E-mail: [email protected], Indiana,USA.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
STREPULSION-PHYSICS: THE SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION OF 21ST CENTURY;
Are Galileo,Newton and Einstein -wrong ? Newton's law of gravitation is no more "universal"? -When Dr.Navin. K.Shah says "Stars exerts active stellar thermonuclear Repulsion force"- the intensity of which is million times greater than gravitational intensity, then,the foundation of physical science that build since four centuries - collepses. "Every particle of the universe does not attracts every other particle as Newton stated but most of the particles of the universe exerts REPULSION, so the universe is expanding. This statement of Dr.Navinchandra K.Shah challanges foundation of modern science. What is universal reality ?
"Motion need force.Constant motion need constant "supply"of force. Without force, motion cannot be in continuation - thus Galileo's concept of INERTIA in which motion of body remain in continued in frictionless space -is challanged and proved wrong in Strepulsion-Physics of Dr.Navin. K.Shah and Prof.Pankaj N.Jain. What is reality ?
"Space and Time are different factors. Space and Time are neither any force nor having any mass and these are not matter. Therefore "Spacetime curvature" of Einstein's Theory of Relativity which dominates the astronomical motion as per Einstein - is fiction" This statement of Dr.Navin in Strepulsion-Physics proves Einstein's General Theory of Relativity is no more scientific notion but simply science fiction to adjust unknown into known without universal reality. What is truth ?
"Sorlod-space system" the new space technology having strength to lead present space programs aheade by a century " the statement in Strepulsion website by Prof.Miss Padma Jain - proves present spacprograms based on wrong foundation. "so after more than half a century- our achievement is space is naive" - Is present system of space navigation is wrong ? - What is reality ?
We have gone through the website of Strepulsion-Physics.that is www.strepulsion.com being supported by Nasa-Ads and surprised to read page by page. Probably largest science website in the world - prepared in colobaration with International Space University of France.
We totally puzzled. If Strepulsion-Physics is the universal reality then - present physics,astrophysics,astronomy, cosmologyand SPACE SCIENCE need mojor modification and corrections and most of the principles of Galileo,Newton and Einstein - should have tobe deleted.
Whatever truth - Dr.Navin, Prof.Pankaj and Prof.Padma's STREPULSION-PHYSICS IS A SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION OF THE 21ST CENTURY.
Dr.Robin Shaw and Prof.James Parker. [email protected]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
The stuff that makes up our 4.5 Billion year old solar system HAD to have come from an ancient star (or stars) that exploded long before our solar system existed.

It also means that all of us are made from 'star dust'

and, ultimately, we will also end up as stars/star dust once again.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

Space is not a perfect vacuum though. So your logic is flawed.

new topics

top topics

join