It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth could have two suns in 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I was never big on the Mayan calender and 2012 but it seems that science is predicting these things on top of Prophecy.

Earth could be getting a second sun, at least temporarily.

Dr. Brad Carter, Senior Lecturer of Physics at the University of Southern Queensland, outlined the scenario to news.com.au. Betelgeuse, one of the night sky's brightest stars, is losing mass, indicating it is collapsing. It could run out of fuel and go super-nova at any time.

When that happens, for at least a few weeks, we'd see a second sun, Carter says. There may also be no night during that timeframe.

The Star Wars-esque scenario could happen by 2012, Carter says... or it could take longer. The explosion could also cause a neutron star or result in the formation of a black hole 1300 light years from Earth, reports news.com.au.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I remember reading a pole shift and alignment with the center of the Milky Way in 2012.

It will be interesting to see how things develop.
edit on 21-1-2011 by Matrix Rising because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Yeah its all very cool

I would love to see it.
But its could happen in 4 days, it could happen in 600.000 years.
Its only guessing mate

And its not because of 2012.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I think this was posted a few time already

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaDwOrLd
I think this was posted a few time already

Yes, Its right here.
And I even think I heard this a year back or so.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I'm no rocket scientist, but wouldn't the earth burn up if there were two suns? Even if for only a few days?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee
I'm no rocket scientist, but wouldn't the earth burn up if there were two suns? Even if for only a few days?

No.. It wouldn't be another sun, but would look like one from earth..
It's to far to burn up the planet..

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by maybee

No.. It wouldn't be another sun, but would look like one from earth..
It's to far to burn up the planet..

Whew! Good to know, Thanks.
2nd line

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
How would the mayans know about a star going supernova..

If anything does happen it's more likely to be something that happens in a cycle, that we dint know about... Yet....

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
iam not good at math, but how long it would take for light to get to earth from that distance? (1300 light years)

edit: or is that 1300 years?
edit on 21/1/2011 by Neoony because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I'm no rocket scientist either, but wouldn't it take 640 years before we would see or feel this?

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Neoony

Exactly.
The sun has probably gone supernova long before we was born

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by OleMB
I'm no rocket scientist either, but wouldn't it take 640 years before we would see or feel this?

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

exactly what i tought

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
How would the mayans know about a star going supernova..

Because the robot aliens from a hidden planet told them. I thought everybody knew that.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Neoony

A light year is the distance light travels in an earth year. So the answer to your question is 1300 years simples lol

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm would love to be able to see Betelgeuse go supernova in my lifetime, it's an extremely rare phenomenon especially to be able to observe this with the naked eye, it would be a spectacular sight, it would be extremely bright and huge, because Betelgeuse is estimated to lie only 640 lightyears away from earth, which in astronomical terms is only a few houseblocks away .
Slowly the brightness will fade over the course of weeks to months.

Obviously the moment we observe Betelgeuse to have turned supernova, this would've actually occured 640 years ago, the time it took for the light to reach us. The one thing that does bother me however is the fact that a supernova is an enormous burst of all kinds of radiation also highly energetic radiation like gamma rays. Since Betelgeuse is so near to us, Earth might get bombarded pretty badly by this type of radiation and when it does it will interact with our ozonelayer and could cause our ozonelayer to be partly destroyed.

So sure it's a great beautiful phenomenon to be able to observe but we just have to hope that when it happens the impact on our ozonelayer will be minimal and that we get to enjoy a beautiful phenomenon that only so few people in their lifetimes will ever witness and that we can tell our kids and grandkids about.
edit on 21-1-2011 by Anodyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join