It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the MOON getting closer to Earth??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
This is caused by a software glitch! The skies are a lie! You will all find out soon!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I noticed this the other night, but there's a simple trick you can do.
Just obscure all of your vision with your hands except for the moon. You will notice it change size immediately when no other visual references are available.

An amazing illusion.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ppk55
I noticed this the other night, but there's a simple trick you can do.
Just obscure all of your vision with your hands except for the moon. You will notice it change size immediately when no other visual references are available.

An amazing illusion.

I did that and if anything, it got bigger.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I think you might have hit on something here. This could be big!, hell it could be huge!
I noticed strange moon behaviour tonight. It seems that when ascending and descending hills whilst driving, the change in altitude of the moon is more exagerated. This seems to be an indication that the moon is actually closer to earth, since the further away it is, the less these small changes in height above sea level would make to its apparent position in the sky.
I think the question we need to be asking here is not if the moon is moving closer but when is it moving closer!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I can't believe someone made a thread on this. Was this the first time you ever saw the Moon rise or set? You never noticed that it looks a lot bigger near the horizon, but it's an optical illusion? And sometimes at perigee (Jan 22) it does look a bit larger?

Did you ever notice how it seems to follow you around when you drive? Does that still freak you out too?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
What the heck is wrong with you people ?
Have you all lost the capacity and capability to do even the simplest and most basic research to answer your own questions ?

The following information that clearly explains observed changes in the moon's apparent size when viewed at different times took me less than 2 minutes to find using a simple Google search.

This apparent difference in size is clearly obvious in the following image.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b33cfe75a020.jpg[/atsimg]

The orbit of the Moon is distinctly elliptical with the nearest and farthest points in the orbit called the perigee and apogee respectively. The resultant non-circular form of the lunar orbit causes variations in the Moon's angular speed and APPARENT SIZE as it moves towards and away from an observer on Earth.

You are exactly right and beat me to the punch.... Though I might not have asked what is wrong with people... Just went straight to the answer.

Either way, Well done.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
TheWalkingFox and tauristercus are correct, the perception of the moon becoming larger is illusion. Geez Louise, folks. Remedial Science, stat!

That said, I live in Florida, and no, I have not noticed the moon drastically larger in size. I may not pay much attention to the moon, though.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by tauristercus
What the heck is wrong with you people ?
Have you all lost the capacity and capability to do even the simplest and most basic research to answer your own questions ?

The following information that clearly explains observed changes in the moon's apparent size when viewed at different times took me less than 2 minutes to find using a simple Google search.

This apparent difference in size is clearly obvious in the following image.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b33cfe75a020.jpg[/atsimg]

The orbit of the Moon is distinctly elliptical with the nearest and farthest points in the orbit called the perigee and apogee respectively. The resultant non-circular form of the lunar orbit causes variations in the Moon's angular speed and APPARENT SIZE as it moves towards and away from an observer on Earth.

You are exactly right and beat me to the punch.... Though I might not have asked what is wrong with people... Just went straight to the answer.

Either way, Well done.

That's what I was implying by an oviod orbit .Secondline

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

OMG! I saw this too. The moon was near the size of a soccerball if I placed my hand under it, pretending to hold it. Normally its about the size of a golf ball if I do that. It was also bright orange and extremely low in the morning sky, maybe that is why? I saw it while driving on the freeway so I didn't get a pic. It sure werided me out, even more than an eclipise and everyone knows I'm scared of that well in the movie "The Ring."

edit on 21-1-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

There was definately somthing different with the sky last night. The star sirius really had me going and had me creating a post as to what I was seeing. Everything coming up on the eastern Horizon appered brighter and bigger.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

One thing is for sure . This site can scare the bejeebers out of a commoner.

I recently had a friend of mine wake up past the point of rubbing the mimis out of his eyes. He recently signed on here and said it's all to much. He also said some of it is to damn scary period. Are we becoming immune do you think? Maybe desensitised? Without knowing it? After so much I'm starting to see his view.
edit on 21-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Either way, Well done.

Thanks for the
, gimme_some_truth,

But honestly, I did nothing that every one of the posters claiming some kind of anomalous moon behaviour couldn't have done as well.

I'm just getting annoyed at the never ending threads being created recently that claim in one form or another that for example, the sun/moon has changed size; the moon is rising/setting where it shouldn't be; the sun/moon/stars are moving faster/slower; etc, etc, etc
And yet not one of these posters realize the profound implications for us here on Earth should any of the above actually happen.

Take this latest gem that the OP believes the moon is approaching the Earth. Even the slightest change in the moons distance from the Earth (beyond it's normal variations) would have every major astronomical organization on the planet waving their collective arms in the air, making media statements and producing forecasts on how we and the planet would be affected.
In fact, such an event would be literally history making, overshadow every other news event in progress and dominate global attention.

So, you can see how annoyed and saddened I get when I see these sorts of threads being thrown around and the OP making ZERO attempt at research to see if there's a simple and rational explanation to explain their observation/belief.
And if that isn't bad enough, look at all the others essentially agreeing with the OP that yes, there's definitely something weird going on with the moon.

C'mon people ... get your acts together and at least pretend that your making a cursory attempt at doing some basic research before posting this type of material.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I see you are in Texas...I also saw at 7am MORNINGtime, not nightime, that huge orange Moon setting on the horizon. I made a thread about it..just saw this thread.
I have never seen the Moon like that.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sharintexas

I know it was pretty wild. I saw it at roughly 7 a.m. too. The Moon was so much bigger and more orange than it is normally I thought it looked like the Sun without the blinding light. What made it weird was that the Moon was basically full too. The whole thing kinda looked like a mirage from what I remember, you know when you can see the heat waves moving in the air. I guess that'd be the necessary atmospheric conditions to make the Moon look like it did?

I wonder what the chances are of it occurring again? I've definitely never seen anything like it before, now I don't go out looking at the Moon everyday but I think I would have noticed something that big in the sky if it happened before.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
See!!

I mean... What are the chances we are all just crazy!??...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I saw it on the east coast last night around 7:30 and there was a rainbow haze in front of it ......never have I seen the moon like that

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

What I could not figure out was if it was setting that morning at 7am, sitting at the horizon, then the next morning at the same time, it should have either already set or at least be in the same position, but it wasn't.
The Moon was HIGHER, not lower.
If it was setting the day before as the Sun was rising, then why was it higher the next day? If the sun is coming up then the Moon should be going DOWN, setting, NOT rising UP!
I don't understand...in the thread I made about this some mentioned rotation. What does rotation have to do with common sense...as the Sun comes up the Moon sets, but not according to what I saw.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I thought the same thing last night as I was looking out my bedroom window, it was almost like I could reach up and touch it. I could see grayish colors on it, it was amazing. Big and bright and yes, it did seem sort of "right there." See my avatar for my moon pic I took several days ago. It's been so bright.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I hope everyone on this thread sees and understands what is happening here, there is a small (very small) percentage of the population who notice these changes and more importantly realize it is unusual. We have several people who saw the same anomoly and one who was so moved he actually filmed it prior to the birth of the thread. Everyone knows what they saw was unusual because you have seen the same object thousands of times and this time it was much different. The explanation on the moon appearing larger along the horizon is correct and accurate, it makes sense as you have scale at that level, but this is not simply a matter of scale, it is a matter of color, hue, intensity and overall appearance.
Everything is just kind of "off" lately, the color of the sky at twilight, the color of oncoming headlights at dusk, the darkness later in the day when the opposite should be happening. Everyone sees it but very few are taking notice.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The moon baby! It never goes away!

^

click the link

It's in your eyes!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join