It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death to commercials!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Whether I'm looking at the TV, or have some interesting local terrestrial radio show on, the required innevitable barrage of commercial advertising busts in. Now, I always turn it off as quick as I can, but I'm not fast-on-the-draw alot. So I have to be 'gotten' a little bit. Here are alot of my "gottens", and I cannot take them anymore, as if I ever could.
Are all of you tired of 'Flo'? Now her voice is on radio too. How about when you see these females showing you an undergarment that looks like it pushed your obesity into a size six? Have you noticed these girls look 19 yrs/old and look plastic smooth and 98 lbs because they are 19 yrs/old, NOT because of that special garment? Do the advertisers think we are retarded? How about those women who eat stuff in slow motion, while slathered in red lipstick, lipliner, and lipgloss? It looks like porography for men. Or how about when this stupid c*** is sitting on the floor or (I saw someone write, up in a tree) with her skinny legs up, eating yogurt or cereal? The only time I ever would sit on floors in weird places (non-entertainment areas) with my legs up, was when I was having period cramps that were so bad, they were driving me off the edge of the cliff insane. I found a chatforum about --for-- this kind of stuff (I hope u don't mind, ats?) forums.commercialsihate.com...
Anyone have similar peeves to unload here? Is it just me? I hope it's not just me.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I know commecials are really annoying.They tend to interupt a movie or tv show that you are watching on tv.I see so many ads when there is a commecial break it actully gets really irritating.They try to advertise there products just to let them come to there store. Now that is annoying.
Weather you like it or not ad's are everywhere and you can't do nothing about it.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
the ones on the internet piss me off, theyre so loud , start playing without even u pressing a button and then they are directed to you personally almost, how does an american site know to advertise me things in my country or whatever surely thats breaking some codes or laws or something

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I'm with ya! In fact, I'd like to take this opportunity to promote my ant-ad software! The firmware can be installed on any computer or internet connected tv!
For only $199.95$199.95. . . .

edit on 20-1-2011 by Divine Strake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
My other half notices that middle aged, usually balding and with a belly of various sizes, will always always always have a beautiful wife.
We make special notice of these commercials, and boycott their products.
Dollar and consumer choice always speak the loudest.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Not sure if other countries have this experience (because the volume change is apparently now banned in some areas) but the most dreadful things about commercials here is that the TV volume goes from soft to you-can-hear-it-round-the-block loud.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

that would be balding men--- ahem

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I HATE that there are now commercials playing at the movie theater too!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

I am a US citizen in the US and, the homely man-with-trophy girl, is common on TV. I was thinking about why this is, and I wonder if it's because --men-- are behind producing those things, and (strait) men are not interested in hot dudes, these Madison Avenue and Hollywood guys really make stuff for themselves, not any demographic. They truly don't care. Even though somehow they still make their money,------- I guess.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadStarState
I HATE that there are now commercials playing at the movie theater too!

Oh god yeah, THAT TOO!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
The sad thing is that people still subject themselves to this. Stop. Just stop. Don't subject yourself to it anymore.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

I have long since grown tired of adverts and wobbly jerkey camers that I rarely watch Tv anymore, I really only watch a selct few programs. Spend my time on the computer and sites like ATS these days.

cheers

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
What is really upsetting in advert trends is ads that nobody really understands.
It seems like people at ad agencies are throwing darts at pinned up controversial and popular topics, and then randomly combining them.
Makes the viewer feel stupid for not getting their retarded "postmodern" advert.
Hence the product name may stick.
Take for example the ridiculous, and totally talentless "banned" (allegedly) gay Orangina cat "aftershave" advert.
Orange soda sold with a complete lack of coherence or talent.
But hey, it has a cool gay cat!

edit on 21-1-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

I cannot stand it, and you have no chance of stopping it.

Just do what i do, and make a home server with all your tv shows, and no ads. Even bbc has ads for itself,a nd i cannot stand even them.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
How about women's (audio/visual media) ---voices--- ? They sound real young of course, and high, but there is this breathieness, and especially with all of them, a ---groaning--- going on there. Anyone know what I mean? Why do I want that in my ear? Ohhhhh, and how could I forget. Where they sound like they are constantly ---smiling--- while they talk. Does anyone hate like I do, where a voice sounds like it is constantly smiling while it talks? Has any advertiser ever thought to pol someone like me, and ask why I would want that in my ear? The only voices that I like listening to, sound like a real everyday persons. I don't know why, but I enjoy listening to a woman's voice that is gravelly, like she's been smoking for a long time. And I'm not a smoker!
edit on 21-1-2011 by simone50m because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I do not like anything about modern commercials, but i get what you mean.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

I do not like anything about modern commercials, but i get what you mean.

It's very interesting when you said "modern". Hm! Made me think back. I would ---actually--- like to sit and watch commercials from the beginning of TV up until 1970. That would be really COOL. I'll bet I wouldn't feel molested by them, the way I do now, even though they'd be thick with the cultural norms of sexism and stuff, from those eras.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Thank goodness for DVRs. I'm an ace at doing the triple-speed fast-forward and stopping right on the mark to miss them.

I wouldn't even mind them so much except for the volume thing. Advertisers, if you really WANT me to change the channel, just make your commercial loud, and I'll be sure to oblige you. It even has the opposite effect for me...makes me HATE your product/service because of your assault on my eardrums.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Not sure if other countries have this experience (because the volume change is apparently now banned in some areas) but the most dreadful things about commercials here is that the TV volume goes from soft to you-can-hear-it-round-the-block loud.

Magnavox used to have SmartSound that kept the volumes at a consistant level. I'm not sure if it still exists.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Doesn't matter, I DVR everything I care to watch, so I can skip through the commercials, pause if needed, rewind something, etc. (a lot of my shows, like Fringe, or the Event, or V really helps if you can rewind and see small details).

Even if I'm home when it's on, I'll still DVR it and watch something else I've recorded, or do something else like read a book, etc. just so I can watch it as I want to.

That said though, SOME commercials are entertaining, and I'm game for those...but most are drivel.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join