It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the Recession Changed Us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I've have been employed in the construction industry for over 20 years. In my world it sure feels like there is still a recession. Of course if you watch MSM, everthing is rosy, things are picking up, everyone is spending again...

Stumbled across this today and it was nice to see data that confirms what I feel and not what I hear.

www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Nice post Mr. Frog

I was in the steel fabrication industry and I can honestly say the recession stil is not over for fabricators.

The company I worked for was making $25 mil and up a year and two months after they laid me off (april 09) they closed thier doors for good after losing almost every one of their contracts.

I am still unemployed and haven't found a single employer willing to hire me since being laid off.

Even McD's won't hire me because I am "over-qualified"

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Layed off steel worker here as well, since March 09

Sure seems like everyone's forgetting about us

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADUB77
Layed off steel worker here as well, since March 09

Sure seems like everyone's forgetting about us

Yeah that is how it feels, unfortunatly there aren't many jobs which our skills qualify us for....

I can weld, fit, run CNC's (mills and lathes), I can even cold fuse but name another industry where that helps me.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
For some reason, our town prospers during recessions, then when the recession is over, things get stagnant. For instance the last time they even built anything in this town was in the 1970's. Now a building boom is going on. Everybody is remodeling their houses and rebuilding garages.

Glad to hear you like CNC! We just built our own CNC machine for a backup income!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
My sympathies guys.

We are getting sunshine blown up our a$$e$ by the media, it may never recover on the manufacturing end.

top topics

join