It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invention Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
All,
I think I might have a good idea for an invention, but I need to fabricate it to see if it will work. It needs to be made of metal, and it should be VERY simple to make. What is the best way to start looking for someone who will fabricate it?

Thanks,
-P

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The best thing is to have a CAD drawing of it with all the lengths and what not. Have it on a floopy, or zip drive. So all the person has to do is plop the disk in a press a button. The design on CAD is what is going to cost the money. The metal is little cost. Any metal working shop will be able to help.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Some points of advice.

If you intend to patent your invention do not disclose it publicly before filing at the USPTO. You will lose your patent rights in certain jurisdictions (where they have absolut novelty requirements) and lose them in the US if more than one year goes by after disclosure.

Make sure you sign a confidentiality agreement with anyone involved in the making of the prototype. Also make sure that you retain inventorship rights in that agreement or the people who help with your designs and fabrication could have a claim. Stay away from those 'fly by night' intellectual property services. Consult a real Intellectual Porperty Lawyer or a Patent Agent.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
That's good advice indeed! Thank you!

-P

[edit on 11-7-2004 by postings]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A guy at the bottom of this posting has a macine shop , and offered some help to a guy with a perpetual motion idea , maybe give him a u2u and see what he thinks about making you some parts .

Hold on , have to go find it...brb

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 11-7-2004 by oddtodd]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Suppose I disclose the idea publicly after I get a patent? That should still work right? Now if I didn't get a patent, someone (anyone involved) could claim the idea as theirs, and sue me for releasing it right?

-P

Originally posted by Gools
Some points of advice.

If you intend to patent your invention do not disclose it publicly before filing at the USPTO. You will lose your patent rights in certain jurisdictions (where they have absolut novelty requirements) and lose them in the US if more than one year goes by after disclosure.

Make sure you sign a confidentiality agreement with anyone involved in the making of the prototype. Also make sure that you retain inventorship rights in that agreement or the people who help with your designs and fabrication could have a claim. Stay away from those 'fly by night' intellectual property services. Consult a real Intellectual Porperty Lawyer or a Patent Agent.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by postings
Suppose I disclose the idea publicly after I get a patent? That should still work right?

Well, getting a patent takes a couple of years. Disclosing it after FILING is ok since the patent office will publish it 18 months after the filing date anyways.

Now if I didn't get a patent, someone (anyone involved) could claim the idea as theirs, and sue me for releasing it right?

Nope. Once an unpatented invention is released into the public domain, no one owns it. If you do use someone else's patented invention though, you are liable.

Lots more information here: www.uspto.gov...

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You will need to do a patent search that you can start on your own but you should read up on inventions. I have a product coming out this fall and I must have read about 500 patents before I decided to go the direction I did. Lots of legal stuff and once you start reading patents you will be amazed how many things are so close to being the same but are just diff enough that they can be registerd. Also China law is first come first serve for a patent in China weather or not you have one in the US or elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Never use one of those "we help market your invention" companies . Usually they want $$ from you , to do "research" on the marketability of your project ( you should have a good idea as to how it could be useful , and who would benefeit from a purchase already) .

A patent search is the most important , even if your "original idea" is not being built by anyone , someone else may have had an "original idea" that is identical to yours that has a patent that has been possibly liscenced or "shelved" so you won't be able to make your version and sell it legally .

I think this is the only step where a patent lawyer may be needed , as you can do the rest yourself with eneough information. They specialize in finding similar ideas , or the same idea , so you won't waste your time and effort on all the rest of the financing .

I would say to make one , get it running , and once you have a working prototype then spend the $$ for a search .

Non-disclosure statements are a must for people to see it , and you can find the proper way to document your journal on the internet to justify your conception date . A notary of the public will date stamp your statements and pictures to help justify your claims for a few $$ , but I think you need to do a bit more than that to stay safe.

A friend and I had an invention that we actually made and we kept a journal of our idea , its progress , adaptations , PICTURES !! , and the dates of all our ideas/labor.

another aspect is that if you do find your working model in another patent search and still want to make $$ off it (eventually) , you can liscence your improvements to the original patent holder , or lisence his idea from him , and add your improvements to make a better product .

Be careful with sharing your idea !!! And don't sign away your rights to one of those marketing companies , they will want a major investment from you , and will legally take it from you if they can !~!!

Good luck , and look at my last posting on this thread for the guy with the machine shop .

MBF

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If you are turned down the first time, don't worry, APPEAL. We had to appeal several times before our patent was approved. Finally, we had to make a call to the patent officer to further explain our invention before our patent was approved. And just because you have a good idea that works, you may still not be able to sell it. But don't give up, I've been trying for years and even came close a couple of times. We had to go up against the large engine producers and they told us that if our invention would work, that their engineers would have already came up with the idea. Our invention solves the problem of sleeve failure due to pitting. Cummings said that they don't have a problem with pitting, but I have a sleeve that failed and stamped on the top of the sleeve is cummings. They must think that if they admit to a problem that they will be forced to speend a lot of money to correct it. I just wish that I could find someone to produce and market it, we both would make a LOT of money.

top topics

join