It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Wikileaks fiasco and sham?~ WikiLeaks May Have Exploited Music, Photo Networks to Get Classified Dat

page: 1
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Wikileaks fiasco and sham?~ WikiLeaks May Have Exploited Music, Photo Networks to Get Classified Data


www.bloomberg.com

WikiLeaks, condemned by the U.S. government for posting secret data leaked by insiders, may have used music- and photo-sharing networks to obtain and publish classified documents, according to a computer security firm.

Tiversa Inc., a company based in Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania, has evidence that WikiLeaks, which has said it doesn’t know who provides it with information, may seek out secret data itself, using so-called “peer-to-peer” networks, Chief Executive Officer Robert Boback claimed. He said the government is examining evidence that Tiversa has turned over.

The company,
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Can read for your selves and decide, but it is possible they are using the Manning kid as a scape goat for their own deceit.

I would not doubt that, as people ought to know by now, any thing is possible. Given that the "official" stories we have been given are often exactly that "stories", should have most people paying more attention.

People can believe any thing they want, but if it ain't the truth, it ain't real.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I have a rough time believing that Manning would be kept in such conditions (23 hours isolation?) if there wasn't something there...despite the idea that I think the punishment is too harsh...

And perhaps torrents was a way for people to post the information for Wiki access...

Not enough information...per the usual...



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Exploited? If the information was available on p2p networks then it is or crappy governments fault for not securing their information properly. And I'm supposed to trust them with my info in a internet id?

Stupid crazy conglomerate government.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I personally believe Manning is indeed responsible and the source for some of the material published by Wikileaks. Whether he is being treated like he should, according to regulation, for the offenses he is accused of, is a separate matter, and one for which I do not have enough information to make a judgment.

Regarding the article and the question it poses, having read it, the only thing that would surprise me is if there were people surprised that Wikileaks, or any intelligence gathering group, would not make use of existing open networks and systems, such as p2p, to look for sensitive information.

IIRC some US agencies in the past have issued memorandums and guidelines warning agents and employees not to use p2p networks, or to at least be careful with the information they shared on said networks.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
I have a rough time believing that Manning would be kept in such conditions (23 hours isolation?) if there wasn't something there...despite the idea that I think the punishment is too harsh...

And perhaps torrents was a way for people to post the information for Wiki access...

Not enough information...per the usual...


Mannings incarceration is not isolated to just himself. The brig he is being held at, The Marine brig in Quantico, uses the exact same rules for any person in their custody, as mannings lawyer has confirmed time and again. Can we stop trying to makie it out that manning is being abused / tortured / mistreated and attempting to link that to his charges please?



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Please, also see a related discussion here:

No Smoking Gun In Hints That WikiLeaks Actively Stole Data

For a somewhat less state run take on it, and a different point of view.




posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR
 


I will be curious to see where this goes. If there is any truth to this, then wikileaks could have very easily loose their argument of innocent by receiving information from sources. Inatead it goes to actively participating in the theft, transfer and dissemination of possible classified information, whiuch will cover the espionage act as well as several other federal statutes.

I am curious though as to why the company would make this information public, since it would only serve as a warning to find a different method of retrieving info since this way is now compormised and potentially traceable.

Something does not sound right.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The fault has to lie with whoever placed those files in any of the P2P services being mentioned, not with the receiver who is only downloading them from their. I suppose there might be some TOS violations but that tends to be a civil matter and not criminal.

The real question is, who uploaded those classified docs to a file-sharing or P2P service. That's where the fault lies and not with Wikileaks.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
The fault has to lie with whoever placed those files in any of the P2P services being mentioned, not with the receiver who is only downloading them from their. I suppose there might be some TOS violations but that tends to be a civil matter and not criminal.

The real question is, who uploaded those classified docs to a file-sharing or P2P service. That's where the fault lies and not with Wikileaks.


This is correct, unless it is determined that wikielaks actively searched for the files and encouraged or directed the files to be uploaded for them to, in turn, download and acquire. If wikileaks solicited for the info, then some fault will also lie with them.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
So they are going to try to allege that a journalist can not do internet research to find information now?

The slope is getting slipperier all the time.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
This is correct, unless it is determined that wikielaks actively searched for the files and encouraged or directed the files to be uploaded for them to, in turn, download and acquire. If wikileaks solicited for the info, then some fault will also lie with them.

That’s not even claimed in the article, not to mention that the article itself is already about a presently unfounded claim.

And it could be determined that Wikileaks passively received all material and didn’t encourage anyone to send them any documents, couldn’t it?

We can all do futurology, but perhaps we should focus on the facts, and I have yet to see any in connection to this latest claim. Not that it would shock me one bit, and I would have to disagree with my good friend Xcathdra — for a change
— that it would qualify as theft.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by aptness
 


You are right and I didnt mean it to sound like it was stated in the article.
I simply was simply making an 'if, then' statement.
If it is found, then they have a share of the fault.



posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
if the government is using sources like this it's their own damn fault. Agent pass data through such unprotected means it's embarassing

if you look around you'll find agents exchanging data over pastebin, blogs, message boards and guestbooks, usually they're in coded number form but it's still patheticly unsafe



posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
So they are going to try to allege that a journalist can not do internet research to find information now?

The slope is getting slipperier all the time.


Contrary to popular belief, Journalists are not immune from prosecution when they receive and publish classified information.



posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Anonymous or any other group or hecker individuals could have this suction machine running and feed what they find to wikileaks who would be none the wiser, as they do not have knowledge of sources....
Its a no brainer that the goverment is just fishing....
Theyll come up with a new 9/11 ficticious story that will look phoney as the 9/11 story they told when they pulled that scam off.
These US court dramas are so patently pathetic.It gets embarassing to even watch them bullsh&*t their way to imprisoning whoever they want.



posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Mannings incarceration is not isolated to just himself. The brig he is being held at, The Marine brig in Quantico, uses the exact same rules for any person in their custody, as mannings lawyer has confirmed time and again. Can we stop trying to makie it out that manning is being abused / tortured / mistreated and attempting to link that to his charges please?


Nope.

People shouldn't live like that, especially when the military trains people to kill others just because they are in military territory. Pre-established and potentially arbitrary means of treating people regardless of offense is not what this world should be based on...



posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock
 


...and we happen to live in the real world and not the land of fairytails and make believe. He is charged with a crime, and is in pretrial detention. Mannings Lawyer has commented on his conditions, and he completely contradicts arguments made about his "deplorable" conditions.

At what point has society degraded to the point that anyone other than the people who break laws should be punished? He is militry, and knew full well what the consequences are for the actions he is accused of committing, including conditions inside of military detention facilities as well as federal military prisons, since they are required to be familiar with the UCMJ.

Save the violin and tears would you please.



posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It's one way (one of several,I'm sure) to try and get to Assange.

If they can find even the flimsiest of evidence that Wikileaks, at some point (any point) actively pursued any of the info they publish .... even if that occasion has absolutely NOTHING to do with any of the US gov leaks ... they can then get an extradition warrant out on Assange.

All they have to say in the warrant is... 'Owing to a past history of Wikileaks actively having pursued information, we have some reason to suspect that Wikileaks (and it's founder/boss) may have been involved in procuring US classified material'

Somewhere like the UK, where politicians gladly drop their shorts and bend over at the merest sight of a member of the US government (no pun intended... lol), it would probably be enough to get Assange extradited.... especially with the disgusting, one-sided extradition treaty the previous UK government put in place.

Essentially, the are creating the hint of a possibility of slight suspicion ... It will probably be enough for our lilly-livered government to wrap up Assange in a nice bow and hand him over.



posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by MemoryShock
 


...and we happen to live in the real world and not the land of fairytails and make believe. He is charged with a crime, and is in pretrial detention. Mannings Lawyer has commented on his conditions, and he completely contradicts arguments made about his "deplorable" conditions.

At what point has society degraded to the point that anyone other than the people who break laws should be punished? He is militry, and knew full well what the consequences are for the actions he is accused of committing, including conditions inside of military detention facilities as well as federal military prisons, since they are required to be familiar with the UCMJ.

Save the violin and tears would you please.


at what point has society degraded to the point where we punish people "pretrial"

at what point did people like you begin to hate american ideals like innocent until proven guilty?



new topics

top topics



 
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join