It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30,000 year old cave that "descends into hell"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Source

There's a cave in France where no humans have been in 26,000 years. The walls are full of fantastic, perfectly-preserved paintings of animals, ending in a chamber full of monsters 1312-feet underground, where CO2 and radon gas concentrations provoke hallucinations. It's called the the Chauvet-Pont-d'Arc Cave, a really weird and mysterious place. The walls contain hundreds of animals—like the typical Paleolithic horses and bisons—but some of them are not supposed to be there, like lions, panthers, rhinos and hyenas.

A few are not even supposed to exist, like weird butterflyish animals or chimerical figures half bison half woman. These may be linked to the hallucinations. The trip is such that some archeologists think that it had a ritual nature, with people transcending into a new state as they descended into the final room.

Pretty interesting story. I think this gives more credence to the idea that ancient people experimented with mind altering substances to reach visionary states. I have to imagine the people at the time revered this cave.

It reminds me of the oracle at delphi and how they believe the citizens were getting high off Ethylene gas
source

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Amazing find. There's a mountain similar to this in Germany, called the Untersberg. It's located on the direct opposite side of the Bermuda Triangle. A very interesting place. If you ever get a chance, definitely check that out.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
yea so im like not getting the hell part?
2nd

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
2nd

The hell part is that the movie is in 3D.
2nd

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Good find! Id love to go see that it would be like being in a diffrent world..very interisting thanks for the thread!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

I was wondering the same thing.. misleading thread title??
although it looks like a really cool movie.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Link to the official Lascaux Site.

That link takes you to a virtual tour. Worth a visit.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by koots751

If you follow the source link you see that hell reference is from there. I dont think hell is an actual place, so you shouldnt of come here thinking that.

I think the reference stems from the creepy nature of the place and the fact the the gas is somewhat toxic.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

yes just a tad...nor were we told it was a movie trailer which would have been nice, i thought prhaps it was a cave that descended to hell ....silly me

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Wow awesome!
thanks for the link, im going to check that out right now

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Looks like a great movie - will definitely add this one to my list.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The cave looks and sounds extremely serene.

Can you tell me which end of the cave ascends/descends into Hell?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

If you follow the source link you see that hell reference is from there. I dont think hell is an actual place, so you shouldnt of come here thinking that.

I think the reference stems from the creepy nature of the place and the fact the the gas is somewhat toxic.

wait a second firstly we arent mind readers and secondly we are not aware of your faith if any.

"so we shouldnt have come here thinking that"? are u assuming that everyone like u does not believe theres a hell? and if we shouldnt have thought that then maybe you shouldnt be so misleading with your titles.

it should have been movie trailer or something yano?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

HA!

Seriously though, there are many secrets to unlocking various facets of the mind and this is probably one of them. Different substances, different mind.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

i agree with you however as soon as stupid arguments start on ATS, im out.. so good thread, misleading title, stoked for the movie!
peace out everyone and have a wonderful day!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

haha I was more along the lines of sarcasm. I just found it funny that anyone came here SHOCKED that this wasn't really a real cave into the real hell

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hell is actually the next three hours I have to work waiting for my days off to start!

Anyway, I appreciate the post, I'd not seen this stuff before.

If you have looked through the stuff about it, I don't get the Unicorn name for the one drawing. Does not look like a single horn at all. Artistic license I suppose.

The other stuff I'm finding dates it's oldest drawings at 17,000 years and I don't find any monsters or man beast stuff anywhere, so I guess I'll have to see the movie for that. The Unicorn that could just be an Ibex with two straight horns is the only oddity I can find in the photo's.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
2nd

It's an obvious metaphor. Completely OK in a Title.

Life is Hell.
Work is Hell.
The bottom of a cave with toxic gases is Hell.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

oh right silly me...i have obviously read too much into the title u know....with the words descends into hell?
i really should start completely dismissing the titles and just get straight on to wasting my time watching things that do not pertain to the thread title..THEN read the title and kick myself for being so foolish ...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

i wouldnt go as far as shocked thats a bit of an exaggeration..id use the word mislead or a bit hacked off that my time was wasted on the trailer for a movie that WASNT mentioned in the title...but now im just splitting hairs cuz really...i should have known,,,,shouldnt i?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join