It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World is sinking: Dubai islands 'falling into the sea'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The world islands were always my favorite thing of Dubai. Ever since they first started construction I always wanted to go there and see them. I hope they fix this problem. They might be for rich people but they're still wondrous in their own sense. I guess if they ever continue on the proposed Universe Islands, that would give me a refreshed incentive to go there.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
These islands deserve no less. Dubai is the poster child of man's stupidity.

IRM

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Im pretty sure the bank of aghanistan fritterd away billions of dollars worth of American financial "aid" on these projects aswell.

Absolutely no corruption here what so ever, nope.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Are you serious? No one knows what the world really looked like during the dinosaur age that is ALL SPECULATION. Besides if all the ice caps melt it would only raise the sea level 200ft sure new york city and cities around the world on the ocean will be underwater but down the center of florida is over 300 ft above sea level it would still be there.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thethingreally
Besides if all the ice caps melt it would only raise the sea level 200ft

Actually sea ice melting would lower the water level, not raise it, as ice takes up more space (displacement) than water. Its all the ice and snow on the land that is the problem

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
These islands deserve no less. Dubai is the poster child of man's stupidity.
IRM

Wonder if Halliburton is still planning to move their headquarters from Texas to Dubai. I still remember the fiasco of giving control of our port to Dubai... what ever became of that? Last I heard it went ahead, but through a long line of dummy corporations when "We the Peeps" dared to show outrage at an Arab nation controlling out Port Authority

Halliburton's Dubai Move Sparks Outcry
www.cbsnews.com...

Halliburton Dubai Move Raises Dems' Suspicions
Congress Will Likely Investigate the Firm's Reasons for Moving
abcnews.go.com...

Halliburton Moves Its Headquarters Abroad
Critics Pounce on News of War Contractor's Planned Move From Houston to Dubai
abcnews.go.com...

Odd nothing on that since 2007

The DP World controversy began in February 2006 and rose to prominence as a national security debate in the United States. At issue was the sale of port management businesses in six major U.S. seaports to a company based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and whether such a sale would compromise port security.

U.S. President George W. Bush argued vigorously for the approval of the deal, claiming that the delay sends the wrong message to U.S. allies. Legislation was introduced to the United States Congress to delay the sale.

On March 9, 2006, Dubai Ports World released a statement saying they would turn over operation of U.S. ports to a U.S. "Entity".[11] Later that same day, American Enterprise Institute scholar Norm Ornstein reported on PBS's "News Hour" that DP World was considering selling its U.S. operations to Halliburton.

Dubai Ports World eventually sold P&O's American operations to American International Group's asset management division, Global Investment Group for an undisclosed sum.

en.wikipedia.org...

So after that... nothing... it all just went away like the ENRON debackle after those records were destroyed in Tower 7

Ah well... we still have our beer and football... and UFO Youtube vids

edit on 20-1-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Are you serious?

Ever hear of Sedimentary rocks? You know... the kind that are formed UNDERWATER?

Where you have huge limestone beds several hundred feet thick that contain fossils of underwater animals, it is a pretty sure bet that the area was once under water for a very long time

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

It would not, where are you getting these baseless facts?

If all the water in the caps melted the ocean would rise..

Do you know how much of the world fresh water is stuck in the caps?
edit on 20-1-2011 by thethingreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

It would not, where are you getting these baseless facts?

Take a glass fill it with ice cubes, then fill it to the brim with water, Wait for it to melt the ice and see how much spills over, then get back to me.

Seems you need to do a little homework

Water is the only substance that EXPANDS when it becomes a solid (ice) therefor as ice melts it takes up less space. As I said this does not count ice and snow on land, only the sea ice

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

"Water is the only substance that EXPANDS when it becomes a solid "

well actually a few others do, amnything that can form a tetrahedral lattice will expand

In any case this has nothing to do with global warming or sea levels and everything to do with terrible implementation of an awful idea

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The first thought that occurred to me is in reference to Biblical passages stateing somewhere along the line of building your house upon rock or at least a strong foundation and definitely not that of sand! Perhaps, a nice HAARPY-caine would blow their houses in!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Oh BTW when they say "World' in that article, they mean the World Islands... that group of islands was made in the shape of the world.

Well, maybe its a message of a near future........floods will be everywhere on earth. Can't have a more direct message than that.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I wonder if an HAARP inspired hurricane (or is it a typhoon?) will be paying them a visit in the very near future?

www.telegraph.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

HAARP?

Wow, you people have too much imagination on here.

Even my instructors clearly forecasted this a long time ago. It's not a big secret that a lot of these luxury homes and islands in Dubai are funded by American taxpayers- why? Because the American taxpayers paid off Afghan warlords during the early days of the Afghan invasion. The Afghan warlords took this money and invested it into nice little retirement palaces on nice little man-made islands in Dubai. The only problem was that they were more interested in the luxury that the engineering aspect. They built these islands and palaces without much notice to that thing called Global Warming, and the subsequent rising shorelines.

Ironic, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Nice thread OP.

S & F ! Just another case of the super-filthy rich trying to play God and not helping out their fellow man who are truly needy. I mean just look at all the misery in the nations that surround them.

I say good for them.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
As I read the article, I had a mental image of Nelson from the Simpsons standing on the shore, finger pointing and uttering his trademark derisive "Haa Haa".

A second line would be pointless as the first one sums it up nicely.
..... DOH!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I find it difficult to believe that these people could possibly be so thick as to spend so much money on a project that was so obviously doomed to fail from the start.

Is there some way they could profit from the demise of these islands, like a massive cash-in on insurance or something?

I smell a conspiracy.......

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This is what happens when massive ego meets unlimited funding.

Several countries in that area, with lots of money are in a "my excess is better than your excess" contest.

Yes it is true all that money could help many people, including the ones who live in Dubai. The people with the money, have no desire to help anyone, IMO.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Yes.

I think you could have a point there.

Some people will stop at nothing to show off.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

www.telegraph.co. uk

But the World, the ambitiously-constructed archipelago of islands shaped like the countries of the globe, is sinking back into the sea, according to evidence cited before a property tribunal.

Developed with tailor-made hotel complexes and luxury villas, and sold to millionaires, the islands, off the coast of Dubai, are accessible by yacht or motor boat.

But now the islands' sands are eroding and the navigational channels between them are silting up, the British lawyer for a company bringing a case against the state-run developer, Nakheel, has told judges.
(visit the link for the full news article)

I just watched like 5 shows on Dubai in a row the other night before Piers Morgan premiered on CNN and they said nothing about this. The engineers are already building "the planet earth" part of their islands, and then they are going to build "the universe". If they had islands sinking I doubt they would be considering it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I didnt think anything much of this at the time of hearing about it (although i did think it looks great) but you know like others have said its 'sand' so eventually those Islands are going to start sinking with all the water....

Pleanty of Sports stars bought property over there.... i'm pretty sure the Beckhams were one of the first to invest in property there.... lol..... seems like some will be heaverly out of pocket!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join