It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World is sinking: Dubai islands 'falling into the sea'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

www.telegraph.co. uk

But the World, the ambitiously-constructed archipelago of islands shaped like the countries of the globe, is sinking back into the sea, according to evidence cited before a property tribunal.

Developed with tailor-made hotel complexes and luxury villas, and sold to millionaires, the islands, off the coast of Dubai, are accessible by yacht or motor boat.

But now the islands' sands are eroding and the navigational channels between them are silting up, the British lawyer for a company bringing a case against the state-run developer, Nakheel, has told judges.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Because this is an area primarily for the rich and famous, I don't feel too too badly but looking at it from an ecological standpoint, this isn't encouraging news (especially for people like me on the coast of Florida)

I found this paragraph interesting

Nakheel, the developer, was part of Dubai World, the state-owned conglomerate that had to be bailed out of debts put at around $25 billion at the end of 2009. The Dubai World Tribunal was set up to hear cases arising out of the restructuring and separation of the companies involved.

I wonder if an HAARP inspired hurricane (or is it a typhoon?) will be paying them a visit in the very near future?

www.telegraph.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
These are unnatural man-made islands. If we keep trying to dominate nature like this eventually nature is going to fight back.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
My Dad lives in Dubai and helped construct the Palm Islands. He told me from day one the "World" Islands wouldnt last more than 5 years in the sea. And its been about five years. haha Shows you how TPTB waste money right in front of our faces! This project has cost over a trillion dollars and counting.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Waaahhhh poor milionaires, lets send in the army and red cross to help them out, better yet, lets just take all of the physical cash in out reserves and in my bank accounts, and the IRS bank accounts, to use it to prop these crappy manmade islands up, so they dont sink, we can use our money as filler for the sands that are eroding away, because thats about all it is going to be good for, filler.

Its because of people who build private islands, million dollar houses and drive around in yachts, that we are in the financial crisis we are in, so i can go to work everyday and be a slave to my wonderful government. i love it.

I hope these islands fall to the bottom of the ocean.
edit on 20-1-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: ARGH!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
is a bummer,. very poor investment to say the least,.
And to think the rich paid big coin to have a piece of it.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I predicted this long ago... Those are man-made islands composed mostly of sand. They are building temples on sand foundations...

To build temples on sand foundations is foolish enough on dry land, let alone in the middle of the ocean.

It reminds me of a Bible verse:

"But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand." - Matthew 7:26

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Plenty of people were pointing out the obvious when this began; tides, currents, weather and geological shifts create land mass. Stable land is created over millions of years. It was obvious to most of us that this was a con, designed to sell nothing to a bunch of wealthy idiots.

The people who created this perpetrated an impressive fraud on a bunch of ridiculously idiotic elites.

It was like selling a snowman in the middle of winter to a group of idiots who had suddenly forgotten that summer would arrive.

I have no sympathy for any of them. I hope they watch their luxury homes drown in the sea, just like they drown in their own arrogance and ignorance.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Plenty of people were pointing out the obvious when this began; tides, currents, weather and geological shifts create land mass. Stable land is created over millions of years. It was obvious to most of us that this was a con, designed to sell nothing to a bunch of wealthy idiots.

The people who created this perpetrated an impressive fraud on a bunch of ridiculously idiotic elites.

It was like selling a snowman in the middle of winter to a group of idiots who had suddenly forgotten that summer would arrive.

I have no sympathy for any of them. I hope they watch their luxury homes drown in the sea, just like they drown in their own arrogance and ignorance.

And they will not shed a tear as they apply for their big tax write-offs.... There is still the Club Med memberships and the chalet in southern France and the ski lodge in Aspen and the paid-for seat on the rocket to the edge of space.
edit on 20-1-2011 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Let's review...

River deltas constantly moving sand from one spot to another check
Heavy waves on beaches wash away sand continuously check
Dirt berms around New Orleans to keep out 15 foot sea level check
California houses built on loose sand that turn to slippery mudslides when it rains check

Pour sand into water... expect it to stay permanently check

Sanity of building houses on sand in water...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
I don't feel too too badly but looking at it from an ecological standpoint, this isn't encouraging news (especially for people like me on the coast of Florida)

Well don't worry too much... here are some maps showing the US the last times the ice melted...

North America during the late Cretaceous

North America during the Jurassic

See nothing to worry about. Nevada will be high and dry....

Oh wait... you said Florida..

Errrr "How long can you tread water?"

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
It will be a real comical scene to watch that hotel sail tip over,.
One good earthquake and that entire place will shift..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
These Islands were built of sand dredged from the bottom of the gulf. It is not structurally stable and is in the middle of a big body of water. Between tides and liquefaction there was no hope for them in the first place.

Not rising oceans but simple physics.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I imagine that this is possibly the world floods prophesied on a few occasions..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Oh BTW when they say "World' in that article, they mean the World Islands... that group of islands was made in the shape of the world.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

that's awesome!! give it up for human ingenuity. if i had the cash i would live there.

however, i can't help but reminded of the phrase "no man is an island"...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Not a big loss anyway Seems only one Island ever got developed

Schumacher's Island

You can see it on Google Earth
25° 13′ 0″ N, 55° 10′ 0″ E

And the Palm Islands right next to it
www.dubai-architecture.info...
edit on 20-1-2011 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

For all our decadence and technology we don't stand a chance against nature.

Perhaps building these islands was a waste of time, don't rich people have better things to do than build islands?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

For all our decadence and technology we don't stand a chance against nature.

Perhaps building these islands was a waste of time, don't rich people have better things to do than build islands?

nature?! that old hag? she ain't nothing!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Seems not
And they have tons of spare cash as long as we put up with $3.00 plus per gallon at the pumps

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join