It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting find: What is it?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
As the center figure has 5 extremities, I'm guessing it's not a representation of any being. Most being representations have an even number of limbs from what I've seen.
edit on 21-1-2011 by randomtangentsrme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sodakota

It has Nineteen Moons.

The border is a seaman's rope.

I would guess the figure is a Phoenician phoenix.

That is not to say it is old; it may have been lost by a 'modern' Moon Worshiper

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Very interesting! And I have to say.. I think you should use it as your avatar! It's not something you see everyday, yet insane gas prices are always there, every time you stop to fuel up. It sucks to be reminded of them. *grin* I say that nicely, LOL!

edit on 1/21/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
How cute! Yes, do use it as your avatar.

It's reasonably modern (very old stuff is heavily covered by patina/encrustations. You couldn't see what it was unless you'd have it professionally and properly cleaned.) You can see what 16th century silver looks like (a cleaned coin resting on top of a pile of uncleaned silver) here: www.howstuffworks.com...

The "moons" are metal stamps, the image appears to have been cut out with a saw. It looks a bit frog-like -- very charming piece, though. I like it!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

You are not totally right by determine the age just by the corrosion level.

Although the corrosion level can be a strong indicator, it also depends on more factors.

Examples:

- How old was it before it got lost
- The finding place is not necessarily the same place where it was lost/dropped/berried
- It could be enclosed (Grave, sealed pottery/box etc) before nature or another force accidentally releases it to more aggressive surroundings, where it could be found later.
- It could have been in a persons/family possession for a long period of time before it got lost
- And a few more reasons

edit on 22-1-2011 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
As for the object, it reminds me of some old cave paintings or pottery engravement i have seen .. I did a search on the web but was not able to find it.

People with many lines coming from their arms and, and other body parts.
Aboriginal? Or Bird people from the ancient Americans?..Ant people?.. Grr.. I will search a little more.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EartOccupant
reply to post by Byrd

Although the corrosion level can be a strong indicator, it also depends on more factors.

Examples:

- How old was it before it got lost
- The finding place is not necessarily the same place where it was lost/dropped/berried
- It could be enclosed (Grave, sealed pottery/box etc) before nature or another force accidentally releases it to more aggressive surroundings, where it could be found later.
- It could have been in a persons/family possession for a long period of time before it got lost
- And a few more reasons

Excellent points, and thank you for bringing them up!

I agree completely.

Stamping is, of course, not new, and the sharpness of the edges and low corrosion show it's not been in the water very long.

That type of metalworking (the rolled ribbon edge and scroll cuts (not punched) on the edges) point to more modern techniques. Native American artifacts are usually made of copper if they were made before 1600, and copper usually corrodes to green. Before the Europeans arrived they didn't use a soldered technique (about the only way to get that rolled ribbon edge is to roll a small strip of wire into a spiral and then solder it to the piece -- or create it in wax and use the "lost wax" technique (I've done some jewelry work so I know about this.).) So I'd rule out Native American.

Next option would be European -- but the crudeness of the shape is not something that would be produced by a jeweler or trained apprentice. Magical amulets were more finely shaped than that. It's not MesoAmerican (or, rather, not preColumbian MesoAmerican.)

I'm hazarding a guess, here, but I'd say that it was a fairly modern piece (post 1950.) I have two "reasonably educated" guesses on this -- the first that it was created for the tourist trade. The second is that it was created by a student in a jewelry class.

I really like it, though. Have you cleaned it up yet? How did you determine it was silver?
edit on 23-1-2011 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for the research everyone! I thought for sure this was going to wind up being a "dead" thread.

Anyway, this is the kind of information I'm looking for, and I'm going to check out all your suggestions. I looked at "Kokopelli" on Google images, and it's close... but no dice.

I also checked into the 19 moons, but I was thinking they were "suns"

And I thought maybe it was Mayan because of that symbol. See the same on the Mayan calender:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5a66388bd0c0.jpg[/atsimg]

I was thinking that if I use it as an avatar, then someone on the forum may recognize it.

Only 2 things lead me to believe it is silver, the metal detector said it was, and, I've found so much silver in my detecting hobby, that I know what silver looks like.

Also the piece was found in the dry sand by the bank. So that may explain why it's not corroded. When you find silver in the ground, it looks the same as the day it was dropped. So it will be hard dating it, because it looks exactly the same as the day it was lost.
edit on 1/25/2011 by sodakota because: fixed pic

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
So here's another closeup picture of the front of it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/742ca5b7a16d.jpg[/atsimg]

And a picture of the back of it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59dc63e9f6fe.jpg[/atsimg]

It really looks alot nicer than these pictures. And it's thin, and a little smaller than a half dollar.
edit on 1/25/2011 by sodakota because: made pics smaller

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
My first impression was an aquatic emblem. Dagon came to mind, but it could have come from any where. It is in good shape and well preserved to be ancient. Do you know the type of material it is made from?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I read this thread a day or so ago, it is rather interesting to look at and it does make a great avatar!

The reason I am writing because it was in my dreams last night. I was in a dormitory situation where I was meeting my new roommates, two men in their 30's. After quite a bit of normal interaction, me helping them set up the room and so forth, I happened upon a pile of coins. These coins looked like yours and I even mentioned this in the dream to the two; they said they were Iranian and that these were keepsakes.

It is odd because it was not a dream that I woke up to but rather a dream that had occurred around 1 a.m.; I remember waking and looking at the clock and going back to sleep.

How odd, to dream about your coin was sort of strange to me and I searched online for anything Iranian, ancient or otherwise, that would be like your piece and it does not match anything at all in that direction.

Not much help from me, I just had it on my mind since I woke up and thought I might mention this; maybe now I can forget about it. LOL Funny how thoughts stick with you.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

It's Aztec or Peruvian.

I suggest you take it to a museum that specializes in these antiques and see what they say.

I see 19 moons or planets with rings around them....a little "man" with one eye.

I'll go through some books and see what else I can come up with. Keep in mind these types of symbols all have meaning.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Looks like an earring that missing its hook.

Even the descirption sounds like it, espeically with the fact that only one side has been imprinted on.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hmm. After looking at the back, I think the piece is cast metal rather than stamped. In any case, it's a great little object and I love the idea of your using it as an avatar. If you have access to a metal cleaner, I'd have it cleaned (ultrasound may be safest.)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
...its does not look like a cast to me, if it was, the two twisted wires around it that are soldered on would be flat in the back I believe, unless they were added after, also wouldn't see the cut in the twist from where the wires end if thats what I am seeing!
I would think it would be made neater if it was casted, the circles look stamped with several sizes since they are not identical and the middle piece could have been made then hammered/soldered to the ring from the back, if I am seeing it correctly!
I would not clean it either, if its old!
edit on 1/28/2011 by Givenmay because: Correction

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well the design is completely different but to me the figure in the centre looks a lot like the figure on this pendant

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d66e0fb569be.jpg[/atsimg]

Which the woman selling here says is a monkey but shes not sure.

The nail stamps also look similar, it's made by a company caller taxco
edit on 28-1-2011 by davespanners because: added extra info

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

reply to post by davespanners

Good job Dave! I did a little search and found more. I'd have to agree that it is a Mexican piece!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Yes, it looks very "Nazcan", Peruvian. Perhaps a winged monkey? Or, could it be alluding to some type of flying being? Something about it makes me think of the bird-man figures of Easter Island. The appendages look like wings to me. And four of them?(Ezequiel?) What a wonderful find.

edit on 28/1/11 by ShangriLaCinderella because: further thoughts

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I now believe the pendant to be of Ozomatli an aztec monkey god

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b56b45e9ef28.jpg[/atsimg]

So your calendar theory was correct but just needed refining

linky

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
WOW! Awesome job everyone! You make me so happy!

I kind of like that idea that it may have been part of an earring, because of that little knobby on the back.

That would also explain the delicate structure of it.

Isn't it amazing that it would be on a beach in Rhode Island? How did it get there? Who could have lost it?

That dream was interesting too, because the beach is called the Old Navy Beach, and there was a military installation there during WW2.

Here's some pictures of the beach:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f86aed14fb6.jpg[/atsimg]

Obviously some structures were here at one time. According to some senior citizens, the structures belong to the Navy. So a recuitment/military dorm is VERY possible!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f7f2ce73bf19.jpg[/atsimg]

And here's where I found it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b295542a1f19.jpg[/atsimg]

<< 1    3 >>

join