It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand Earthquakes, need your opinion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This all happened in just 7 days.

Not much news on the matter, TV reports, just saying where they happened and some damage caused, but that's it. So someone may have an expert opinion in these recent events.

Many of these are aftershocks

www.geonet.org.nz...
edit on 20-1-2011 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
wow i live in new zealand and i havn't heard anything about these eartquakes??. will have a look around the depth are very shallow though if we get a big one at a shallow depth it could cause some real damage thanks will keep an eye out from now on

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You would probably receive good input on this subject from ATS users "MoorfNZ" ,"Muzzy" and "aorAki" as they are the resident New Zealand earthquake experts.

Also, you may want to bring it up in this thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-1-2011 by Wookiep because: to add Muzzy, and aorAki

edit on 20-1-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Don't forget muzzy - he's notch and rocks and also aorAki who is actually in the business of faults and quakes
- Sorry got to give credit to all that is due.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Ah yes, very true. I've edited my post to add Muzzy and aorAki!

edit on 20-1-2011 by Wookiep because: and to add aorAki!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Thanks for mentioning me

So what do you want to know?.

Surprisingly its all pretty normal, even all the aftershocks around Christchurch from last Septembers 7.1 quake
Theres actually way more going on than what is shown on that link.
Have a look here (if you already haven't) this is based on data from the same people, just presented in a different format.
seabreeze.wordpress.com...

And there is even more going on than what is shown on that page, some quakes in the smaller range

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Yep - what Muzzy said... I think we're all pretty much "over" it now tbh - although I still get a mix of thrill and concern when an unexpected big one goes off.

It will be with us for some time to come, too.

I am interested in current theories connecting the main event to the Chatham Rise... your thoughts Muzzy and co?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Not sure about the Chatham Rise, from memory there have been half a dozen earthquakes along there in the last 12 months but didn't seem unusual. Th biggest quake in the CI itself was a 5 in 1999 and a 5 in 2000 and there was a 5 on the Rise between NZ & CI in 1981, a 5 to the north of the Rise in 1961 and two of them in 1960 and 1 in 1941, info gets sparse prior to that.
I can't find the press release but someone in the know in the early days after the quake said that the Plate Boundry of the Pacific/Australian Plate had shifted down from Marlborough to Canterbury. Was it Quigley?

Actually if you look on Google Earth, and trace the Greendale Fault up through Christchurch and out to sea to the NE it lines right up with the Pegusus Canyon and the Kaikoura Canyon Greendale Fault Trace KMZ
I think that could be the spot to watch for future big quakes, there were 2x5's o/s Kaikoura in 2008 on the same day, that may have been the start of your boundry shift
All just theory though

edit on 21-1-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
Surprisingly its all pretty normal, even all the aftershocks around Christchurch from last Septembers 7.1 quake
Theres actually way more going on than what is shown on that link.

That's a relief and thanks for the link! Got a bit concerned after I felt that shake near Rotorua last week and I'm in Manukau!! Maybe I'm just too sensitive at these things as nobody else here felt it.

I might also move to Christchurch end of 2011 for a job so this info is quite a relief. I could live with small rumblings I suppose

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

No problem.
That was a pretty decent sized quake at Rotorua, it was revised up to 3.744ML, felt right across the North Island as you might have seen on Geonet site www.geonet.org.nz...

was that you filled in the report from Manukau, Auckland? they gave you a MM3 for the description you gave (Felt indoors as a light vibration. Hanging objects may swing slightly.)

If your'e off to ChCh you better get your teeth checked for any loose fillings
theres gonna be some rattling there for a while yet, probably another 6 months at least based on previous NZ quakes this size.
edit on 22-1-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join