It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Military Industrial Complex At Work - USA 60 Years of War...No End In Sight.

page: 1
8

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Finally got the opportunity to watch the movie 1984...

What struck me most in the movie was this piece of dialogue which so perfectly explained the military industrial complex:

It does not matter if the war is not real or when it is, that victory is not possible.

The war is not meant to be won. It is meant to be continuous.

The essential act of modern warfare is the destruction of the produce of human labor.

A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance.

The war effort is always planned to keep society on the brink of destruction.

The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects.

And its object is not victory over ____ or ____... but to keep the very structure of society intact.



My translation...
The military industrial complex is a for-profit machine designed to maintain the status-quo of constant increase of wealth to the elite few, further separating the divide between rich and poor, at the expense of the proletariat serfs by using that wealth and power to create conflicts and wars which require the industries which are owned by the elite.

A perfect example would be the USA.
The USA has been at war somewhere in the world since 1941. The USA has been at war for 60 years. It would seem the USA no longer understands how to wage peace.


Dwight D. Eisenhower - Farewell Address - delivered 17 January 1961...

Good evening, my fellow Americans.

We now stand 10 years past the midpoint of a century, that has witnessed four major wars among great nations. Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plow shares could, with time with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense.

We have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. Now this conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience.

The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources, and livelihood are all involved. So is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes.

We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

edit on (1/20/11) by AllSeeingI because: code

edit on (1/20/11) by AllSeeingI because: typo

edit on (1/20/11) by AllSeeingI because: clarity




posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Daily Paul:Why is America Always at War/Conflict with Something or Someone?

Some American Wars/conflicts foreign and domestic
1620-1776 Colonial Indian Wars,
1774-1776 War against Great Britain
1776-1783 American Revolution
1777 Invasion of Canada I
1787 Shay's Rebellion
1792-1795 Ohio Indian Wars
1794 Whiskey Rebellion
1794-1795 Algerian War
1798-1800 French Naval War
circa 1799-1901 Western Indian Wars, many of them
1804-1805 Barbary Pirates
1808-1811 Indiana Indian War
1810-1815 War of 1812 with Great Britain
1815 Algerian War II
1817-1819 Florida War
1832 Black Hawk War
1835-1842 Seminol War
1835-1836 Cherokee Gold-Lands War
1836-1838 Texas/Mexico War (Mexico I)
1845-1846 Canada War II (about Oregon)
1846-1848 Mexico War II
1846 Mormon Illinois War
1857-1859 John Brown Wars
1861-1865 Civil War
1870-1890 Sioux Indian Wars
1874-1877 Molly Maguires War
1886 Haymarket Labor War
1887-1893 Hawaii Conquest
1892 Homestead Labor War
1894 Jacob Coxey Rebellion
1898 Spanish American War
1899-1902 Philippine War
1900 China Boxer War
1902-1903 Colombia/Panama War
1910-1920
(for US 1914) Mexico Invasion, Mexico III
1912 Nicaragua Invasion, Colonization
1914 Mexico Invasion IV
1914-1919
(for US 1917-1919) World War I
1915 Haiti Invasion, Colonization
1916 Mexico Invasion V
1916 Dominican Republic Conquest I
1918-1921
(for US 1918-1919) Invasion of Russia during Russian Civil War
1919 Boston Police Rebellion (labor revolt)
1922 Hennin Coal Rebellion
1927 China Invasion II
1927 Bonus March Rebellion
1937-1945
(for US 1937-1941) Sino-Japanese War, Flying Tigers
1939-1945
(for US 1941-1945) World War II
1948-1949 Berlin Blockade
1950-1953 Korean War
1956-1965 School Desegregation Civil War
1957-1975 Vietnam Wars
1961 Cuba Invasion
1964 Panama War II
1964 Laos Invasion
1965-1966 Dominican Republic Invasion II
1966 Cambodia Invasion I
1967 Israel Provocation
1970-1975 and
1978-1991 Cambodia Civil Wars
1975 Tang Island War, Cambodia
1978-1992 Afghanistan Civil War, USSR Invasion
1980 Iran Hostage Invasion
1982-1983 Lebanon Invasion
1983 Grenada Invasion
1984-1986 Nicaragua II, Iran contra War
1987 Iraq Provocation
1988 Iran Provocation
1989-1990 Panama Invasion III, Manuel Noriaga seizure
1990-1991 "Persian Gulf War,"
1992-1995 Somalia Invasion
1993 Branch Davidian Revolt
1995-1997 Bosnia and Herzegovia War
Present Afghanistan Invasion,
Present Iraq Invasion II, Bush II

Not to mention...
The never-ending Cold-War
The "War on Terror"
The "War on Drugs"
The "War on Poverty"
The "War on Crime"

And this list doesn't mention occupations, "peace-keeping" missions, reconstruction, etc etc.
edit on (1/20/11) by AllSeeingI because: typo



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
S+F

Thats why i think a WW3 or a full Economic Collapse has to happen sooner or later. As long as Systems as those exist,we will never know Peace,and never learn to "Grow Up".



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Excellent post indeed, it reminds me of what Gore Vidal says regarding the elites in America waging perpetual war for perpetual peace

It’s clear as your list illustrates that America has been and still is a hypocrite and has been a war monger throughout its existence as it was born in the blood of the Native Americans and grew rich on the sweat of African slaves.

No objective person can really judge this country other than being a perpetual war machine that pretends to be for peace and freedom but actually lives a lie and is a predator.

www.meaus.com...

edit on 20-1-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal
 

And this is why sara palin is a household name. Bambi, with an uzi, of jewish descent, ready to flame away at whatever peoples her handlers dictate, while she basks in glory. That is what a satanic sell out looks, and sounds like. In fact, though, how can there ever be a real 'president'? The wrong guy never wins, or gets anywhere near the white house. They let the Ron Pauls make sounds but the antisemite charges usually suffice to shut them up. Maybe not this time, though.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon
S+F

Thats why i think a WW3 or a full Economic Collapse has to happen sooner or later. As long as Systems as those exist,we will never know Peace,and never learn to "Grow Up".


Thank you.

I agree that a major war / economic collapse is imminent, and even designed... controlled.... so that those in control can maximize the profits of said collapse.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
Excellent post indeed, it reminds me of what Gore Vidal says regarding the elites in America waging perpetual war for perpetual peace

It’s clear as your list illustrates that America has been and still is a hypocrite and has been a war monger throughout its existence as it was born in the blood of the Native Americans and grew rich on the sweat of African slaves.

No objective person can really judge this country other than being a perpetual war machine that pretends to be for peace and freedom but actually lives a lie and is a predator.

www.meaus.com...

edit on 20-1-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)


Thank you!

I agree that the USA has an endless history of violence through wars, and as you said the horrible exploitation of native Americans and African slaves...

I still am a USA Patriot at heart. I believe that the idea of the USA, its constitution and bill of rights is an amazing thing that should be fought for. But USA has long since been corrupted and bought up by a hand-full of super-rich oligarchical sociopaths.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
Daily Paul:Why is America Always at War/Conflict with Something or Someone?

Some American Wars/conflicts foreign and domestic
1620-1776 Colonial Indian Wars,
1774-1776 War against Great Britain
1776-1783 American Revolution
1777 Invasion of Canada I
1787 Shay's Rebellion
1792-1795 Ohio Indian Wars
1794 Whiskey Rebellion
1794-1795 Algerian War
1798-1800 French Naval War
circa 1799-1901 Western Indian Wars, many of them
1804-1805 Barbary Pirates
1808-1811 Indiana Indian War
1810-1815 War of 1812 with Great Britain
1815 Algerian War II
1817-1819 Florida War
1832 Black Hawk War
1835-1842 Seminol War
1835-1836 Cherokee Gold-Lands War
1836-1838 Texas/Mexico War (Mexico I)
1845-1846 Canada War II (about Oregon)
1846-1848 Mexico War II
1846 Mormon Illinois War
1857-1859 John Brown Wars
1861-1865 Civil War
1870-1890 Sioux Indian Wars
1874-1877 Molly Maguires War
1886 Haymarket Labor War
1887-1893 Hawaii Conquest
1892 Homestead Labor War
1894 Jacob Coxey Rebellion
1898 Spanish American War
1899-1902 Philippine War
1900 China Boxer War
1902-1903 Colombia/Panama War
1910-1920
(for US 1914) Mexico Invasion, Mexico III
1912 Nicaragua Invasion, Colonization
1914 Mexico Invasion IV
1914-1919
(for US 1917-1919) World War I
1915 Haiti Invasion, Colonization
1916 Mexico Invasion V
1916 Dominican Republic Conquest I
1918-1921
(for US 1918-1919) Invasion of Russia during Russian Civil War
1919 Boston Police Rebellion (labor revolt)
1922 Hennin Coal Rebellion
1927 China Invasion II
1927 Bonus March Rebellion
1937-1945
(for US 1937-1941) Sino-Japanese War, Flying Tigers
1939-1945
(for US 1941-1945) World War II
1948-1949 Berlin Blockade
1950-1953 Korean War
1956-1965 School Desegregation Civil War
1957-1975 Vietnam Wars
1961 Cuba Invasion
1964 Panama War II
1964 Laos Invasion
1965-1966 Dominican Republic Invasion II
1966 Cambodia Invasion I
1967 Israel Provocation
1970-1975 and
1978-1991 Cambodia Civil Wars
1975 Tang Island War, Cambodia
1978-1992 Afghanistan Civil War, USSR Invasion
1980 Iran Hostage Invasion
1982-1983 Lebanon Invasion
1983 Grenada Invasion
1984-1986 Nicaragua II, Iran contra War
1987 Iraq Provocation
1988 Iran Provocation
1989-1990 Panama Invasion III, Manuel Noriaga seizure
1990-1991 "Persian Gulf War,"
1992-1995 Somalia Invasion
1993 Branch Davidian Revolt
1995-1997 Bosnia and Herzegovia War
Present Afghanistan Invasion,
Present Iraq Invasion II, Bush II

Not to mention...
The never-ending Cold-War
The "War on Terror"
The "Cold War"
The "War on Drugs"
The "War on Poverty"
The "War on Crime"

And this list doesn't mention occupations, "peace-keeping" missions, reconstruction, etc etc.


Lame. What did they do, find anything and everything that was disputed at one time or another and slap the word "war" at the end?

"1874-1877 Molly Maguires War
1886 Haymarket Labor War
1956-1965 School Desegregation Civil War"

They're reaching with some of these.


1980 Iran Hostage Invasion - must have failed to remember this was started after the Iranians overran our embassy at least twice.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Do a search for the below key words, and it should lead to today's Halliburton.

"War profiteering" and "disaster capitalism".

Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex
Presidential farewell address, apology...



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Lame. What did they do, find anything and everything that was disputed at one time or another and slap the word "war" at the end?

"1874-1877 Molly Maguires War
1886 Haymarket Labor War
1956-1965 School Desegregation Civil War"

They're reaching with some of these.


1980 Iran Hostage Invasion - must have failed to remember this was started after the Iranians overran our embassy at least twice.



I agree a few are not worth of that list... but the list makes its point none the less. The Military Industrial Complex really started around WW2 so all the others are just there to make a point. Copy Pasted from the source article.



posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Interesting op, though some of the conflicts that you mention, are in error, and should not be part of the list, or were a direct provocation and required armed conflict. The colonial Indian war, was not from the part of America, rather it was a war between France and the British Empire. The war with Britain, from 1774 to 1777, were part of the American Revolution, this was an inspiration to many other colonies, around the world, from then up to following the end of World War II, showing that a colony could break away from its parent country and win. Shay’s rebellion: That was a conflict as a result of the American Revolution, where people who fought for the very liberty and freedom, found out that they were not given any sort of compensation and from that, was born the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of rights.
The Whiskey Rebellion: That is where the political parties got started.
And the list goes on. A good majority of the wars and conflicts that you mention, were actually necessary and ultimately something good did come out of that. The country was stronger and safer, we actually made friends on the world stage, and became a nation that lead the world in many areas, but even among those that did not like the United States of America, still respected the country.
Some of the conflicts you mentioned, the United States of America, were invited, or did what needed to be done, when no one else was willing to take a stand. And a few, the United States, was not directly involved, as you would claim. Some created equality for people, others gave some a fighting chance against overwhelming odds. We are a nation of laws, would you deny that the country should ignore the laws for a few, while the rest have to follow them? Would you deny help to a people who are crying for it, even if it means that we must go into a conflict with such? There only has been a few declared wars that the United States has been in. And the last one was World War II, as war has to be declared by congress, not by the president of the United States.
Yes the United States industrial complex is large, but it did end the cold war without firing a shot.
Consider this, it is the United States defense complex, is what has protected its citizens since the American Revolution, it has given rise to the very comforts that a good majority of the world uses, and enjoys. It often takes the lead in social issues. It at one time was the envy of the world, and may yet once again, rise to that. It is the military and the very conflicts that allow you to be able to get onto the internet and post, stating what you believe, and allow for, the majority of the time, to remain safe in your home at night, if you live in the United States of America. And if after 200 years plus for a country to have been around, and to rise to such prominence in the world. We can not ignore threats or what is going on in foreign countries, nor should we. Would you deny aid to a people that are oppressed, or the potential for the greatest achievements that could come from the military? While you look at the bad, how about the good that has come from the military and the conflicts that the country has been involved in, and see what all came out after such. After all, most of Europe is still free, no one, save those in Germany and Japan are speaking such as their language. The computers that we all use, and the internet, is a result of the very military complex that you are condemming. Even some modern medical techniques and medicines all came about cause of the military. So there you have it, you can't have just the fun side of the horse, you also have to have the other half, with the military, you take the good and the bad.



posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'v been saying for sometime now that the two biggest threats to America as we know it are the Federal Reserve and The Military Industrial Complex, the fact that the Military is experimenting on non-willing citizens with non-lethal wepaons/direct energy weapons for supposed use for crowd control and riots is sicking these weapons should have never been made...when you mess with someones mind even in a riot situation you take a part of there god givin free will away from them and it's sicking, not to mention all the tests they have done to create the so called super solider...the fact someone as highly ranked in the militray such as Dwight Eisenhower spoke out againts it should have rasied a million flags but instead nobody did a thing...


As far as the Fed Reserve we all know it's run by crooks and these crooks in turn have the real power to run this country and many others.....we need new solutions for both threats.



posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The culture of conflict is very entrenched with war being the main export of the US. While self defence is a very valid argument for engaging in conflict, when it is perused for corporate interests and profit it does become a very sad state of affairs. This reckless engagement has been a contributing factor to the decline of the US as a super power with China now stepping up to the plate as the US economy is rife with corruption and mismanagement. If America is to get its house back in order then resolving the unanswered questions around 9/11 is a good start. I do find it reprehensible that some people to promote a perpetual war. I wonder if they would change their minds after their house was bomber, family members dead and limbs missing. What in hell are they fighting for




top topics



 
8

log in

join