It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

animated avatar??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
i am sorry if this is not the place to post this, and of course if you are not sitting at my computer it may be very hard to tell me how... but i am just wondering, i have found a couple avatars that slightly change, like an invader zim one where gir is laughing, and another of brandon lee in the crow, also laughing...

but i can't for the life of me figure out how to make it my avatar... i have seen a lot of member avatars moving, and just wanted to know if anyone could walk me through it... thanks in advance!

oh and by the way, i found these animated avatars on photobucket in which i do have an account... don't know if that helps
edit on 20-1-2011 by schitzoandro because: add info

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
animated avatars are against the T&C....not to mention annoying as hell. i wish there were some way for me to block them from my end.

please do not pursue this.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Isn't that just for background images??

From SO:

A common method used by many members to "workaround" the avatar size limitation is to use a mini-profile background image, and a clear-GIF avatar. We will continue to encourage this level of creativity in conjunction with the new avatar limitations.

Pixel Space: The new "visible" space for background images is 180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall (depending on other factors in your mini-profile).

Maximum Pixel Dimensions: Maximum allowable mini-profile backgrounds will be 200 pixels wide by 700 pixels tall. Smaller images are repeated in the background space.

Maximum File Size: Maximum file size for mini-profile backgrounds is 100k if you're using a clear-GIF as your avatar, if not, the combined file size of your avatar and background image cannot exceed 150k.

Animated backgrounds are not allowed.

Background colors and imagery that obscure your member name are not allowed.
(Source)

See, Animated backgrounds are what's not allowed although I'm not sure if new rules have been put in place. Can someone please enlighten?

Anyway, OP, I don't know much about images but lots of people on this site do so I'm sure someone who can help you will be along soon.

EDIT TO ADD: And a little tip, if you want to block animated avatars, simply hit ESC and they will stop working.

edit on 20-1-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
animated avatars are against the T&C....

He's right. We don't allow animated avvys.

Just kidding. No they're allowed, as long as they fit the size requirements.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

....Animated backgrounds are not allowed...

oh my bad.

well, that doesnt change the fact that they are distracting.....and IMO should be against T&C.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
thank you all, i was going to say... if they are 'outlawed', then we have a lot of rebels here, which i am sure we do anyways...

i am not having any issues with the size or the pixel, i guess it's the embedding it.. i have selected the image and when i go to save it, it of course stops being animated and just shows the 1st image without movement to any following images...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by tgidkp
animated avatars are against the T&C....

He's right. We don't allow animated avvys.

Just kidding. No they're allowed, as long as they fit the size requirements.

TPTB killed mine.

blamethegreys Soul Rebel ProtoGeologist Member posted on 18-1-2011 @ 10:42 PM this post reply to post by RRokkyy

OMG that animation is WIN beyond measure!

edit on 20-1-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Too big...

And the escape key trick can't be mentioned enough...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Please read the following in regards to Avatars, backgrounds and signatures:

Avatar and Signature Guidelines...

New rules for Avatars and Backgrounds

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
reply to post by RRokkyy

And the escape key trick can't be mentioned enough...

Ha! After 2 years I've never utilized this function...till now.
Thank you!! I will be using it now...
edit on 20-1-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

If you go into your account settings (Tools-Account) you can also hide member avatars and backgrounds, but you might not want to go that extreme. Esc is cool for stopping those annoying animated avatars in their tracks

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

You put in an animated avatar in the same way as the normal one.

It's really hard to make an animation that fits in with the size regs though which is why the movement in mine is very subtle, to keep the frame numbers and file size small

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Don't forget that your animated avitar has to be saved as a .gif file and not a .jpg file. If all you are getting is the first image I suspect this might be your problem.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If i clearly understanded you can use Video Avatar programm. You can crop out yours gif pictures and made one.
You simply can find it and download

top topics

join