It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's first aircraft carrier

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

If there is a WW3 that doesn't involve nukes, I would say with China's massive population and resources, they could build carriers really fast. Just like the U.S. did during WW2.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Perhaps, and barring any Nuclear tactics as you said. Even though they may try to build a Carrier at breakneck speed, if it was during time of war...we'd know about it most likely. Assuredly, the facility that was constructing said carrier would be obliterated.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
yup they need som frys to go with that carrier
second

i know i m going to get burnt for posting that lol

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
absolutely right a carriers only role in an invasion of taiwan /formosa is as a feint to draw away defenders to another local they are close enough that ground based air support would be all that was needed. this is to shake yhere dick so to speak or to project force like was said to protect there shipping from african resources.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

you are forgetting the uss kittyhawk

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
anybody got a free copy of "Dragon's Fury" by the same author?

EDIT: I mean that Jeffhead guy.
edit on 25-1-2011 by Daedalus3 because: jeffhead.com

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

You got it right. USA to China is like the Soviets were to the USA, they just wouldn't be able to spend themselves out of a cold war this time. USA basically bankrupted the Soviets, China would do the same to the USA in a heartbeat.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Blue water navies are about projection of power and protection of your national commerce. I thought it funny that their "training" carrier is only old in the way that is was a hull with no engines or electronics. This carrier will be more state of the art than many of the other Western powers are fielding now.

But are they stopping there? No, the lowest estimates I have seen are six and the highest is 11. And you will notice by the previous list someone posted of our carriers that some of their platforms were built in the late 60's through 70's. So competitive? well certainly. You have to think of tomorrow or you will be left in the dust of the past.

It is interesting that everyone centers on right now. China has a long range view. They are patient and their stated goal is to be the next superpower. I spoke with an Air Force officer on this back in 1998 when I told him that China's arms manufacturing plants had ramped up to 24 hour production for the first time in history and their plans for the future. He started laughing and said 'China? My God, they still have horse calvary and bugles!"

I replied by telling him the potential for their economy that Most Favored Nation Trade Status could do for them as far as economic growth. Not to mention a military that to a large part, grew their own food, made their own uniforms and sold munitions at a profit. (polytech owned by the Chinese military and norinco gets an honorable mention as state owned, though main supplier of the Chinese military.)

Now, we are seeing, in just a little over ten years, a massive economic windfall for the Chinese, massively invested in their military and infrastructure. They are using enough concrete to build a city the size of Dallas every 12 months. and yet, we have people that point out that the U.S. has an economy three times what theirs is, they are heavily invested in us, etc.

But they should be asking, where is our economy and theirs headed tomorrow. What has ours done on ten years versus theirs and what are our military plans versus theirs. Now, I am not against free market economy and I am not being alarmist, I am just pointing out that many people are either not asking the right questions or holding onto the comforting teddy bear of childhood. I have read their military scenarios involving the U.S. and they definitely see us as the ones they will face off with.

And as I have pointed out these things about China way before it was cool, I will add the arguments of yesterday that no one is bringing up anymore. Analysist were telling me that they did not have the technology. I bought up to them that we launch ICBM's with less computing power than a gaming system,....which they manufacture. They employ ex employees of NASA, motorola, etc. to launch satellites and start their space program. If you can hit the moon, you can hit most anywhere else on the planet. I was told that their equipment was basic and out of date. I pointed out that their spies have stolen hard drives with the plans for every one of our ICBM's and to include our most super quiet submarine props. I was told they did not have the infrastructure to manufacture these items and I said,..."yet."

Now, here we are ten years later. They have used our stolen tech to actually improve on design specs. Why not, they did not have to invest time and expense into research. No one tells me they don't have the infrastructure anymore. Gone are the days of horse calvary. They currently purchase more cars a year from GM than American's do. And believe me, I would love the Chinese people to experience everything an advanced society would give them, but the stated quotes from the military and political arms should scare the bejezus out of anyone.

Maybe America's time as an empire is over. Lord knows we have enough people wanting that, but I would be careful of who you would put in our place. We pretty much let you say what you want and we don't run our protesting students over with tanks.

Things to think about.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Now, we are seeing, in just a little over ten years, a massive economic windfall for the Chinese, massively invested in their military and infrastructure. They are using enough concrete to build a city the size of Dallas every 12 months. and yet, we have people that point out that the U.S. has an economy three times what theirs is, they are heavily invested in us, etc.
reply to post by StyloMercenaire

Excellent point.
The Chinese also have a monopoly on rare Earth metals that could have an inverse effect on our military capabilities.
The other thing that I wonder about is what effects have things like the Opium Wars and Japanese occupation had on the collective Chinese psyche? It's like the guy who you used to pick on in high school has been working out and is now a black belt, shows up at the high school reunion and kicks your a$$.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I always thought it was India and China who were the rising next two Super powers off the future?

Isnt that maybe both countries now have Carriers. After all thier countries are not far from each other and are within the same region.

Both countries have nukes also.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
I always thought it was India and China who were the rising next two Super powers off the future?

Isnt that maybe both countries now have Carriers. After all thier countries are not far from each other and are within the same region.

Both countries have nukes also.

super powers? Impossible! At least there are a long way ahead to go.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
china may be trying to get there first carrier but guess what we have had them for years and years anyone who thinks china could actually take the united states in a war is sorely mistaken due to the fact they may have a bigger army but invade us and it will be like veitnam was for us guerilla fighting every step of the way

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

OK. Watch it will be copied and a cheaper version would be made available to rogue and poor nations who cannot afford the real thing. In addition, they will violate tonnes of patents and copy right infringement. This is a typical Chinese move. They have the ability to purchase and reverse engineer but just not the ability to perform serious R&D and spend money on R&D.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by secretsecret2012

Agreed. Nukes & a single Carrier does not make a country super power. They're definitely looooooooong way from that.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Do you agree that they are developing all there war "toys" at a accelerated rate, faster than once thought they could, that is the real story, and then why???

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Agree. I'm sure not just US but others are noticing as well. Especially every country bordered (land or sea) to china. Surely there is a power vacuum in the Asian subcontinent. China definitely is attempting to expand their military industrial complex and to fill the military power vacuum in the region. In the process, it might also decide to demonstrate and validate its power and presence by invading countries such as Taiwan and annex the Tibetan and Kashmir Region from both India and Pakistan.

www.friendsoftibet.org...

www.militaryphotos.net...

Russia has its own set of issues and problems to overcome before it can bounce back to its superpower status. I would definitely be very very skeptical about Chinese intentions.
edit on 28-1-2011 by hp1229 because: stupid typos

edit on 28-1-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2011 by hp1229 because: Grammer and Objective

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

we think alike, i too think China is planning on taking on a land/country where ground forces could not go, but by sea only, is this why they are building up there navy?? at this point it is speculation no hard facts, as of yet.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

At this point it is a strong speculation based on the chess moves. There are few hard facts if we look at its historical conflicts and attempts with other nations in the world. I would worry about china's intentions since Taiwan was part of China before 1900. Surely the political party in Taiwan is stronger then it was years ago. However due to recent recession and the eocnomic ties with China, it is tough to say from the taiwanese point of view. But the way they're purchasing the weapons from us (US) doesnt show the sign of them joining their hands with Mainland China. This might be another chess move by China in the form of Intimidation to possibly convince Taiwan to eventually be back under the communist umbrella?

However I dont like the movements of the Chinese in Tibet, Pakistan and Sri-lanka which gives me the doubts that China indeed is keeping things ready for the ultimate war whenever that takes place. If the pieces of the puzzle are in place, it will simply play its chess moves and attain what it has been trying for years (claim to Arunachal Pradesh in India, TIBET, LOC in Kashmir and annex the taiwanese island into communist china). Surely the signs definitely point to a military takeover down the road.

edit on 28-1-2011 by hp1229 because: Grammer

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by hp1229

we think alike, i too think China is planning on taking on a land/country where ground forces could not go, but by sea only,

I think it is impossible.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join