It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New climate data shows warming world: WMO

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Earth is going through a natural process. One so predictable that many ancient astronomers knew it.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

You're not going to mandate that I buy a hybrid car or some other fifty-thousand dollar nonsense because you're afraid of your G5 Grandchildren owning some ocean-front property in Tennessee. I like clean dishes and will use the most intense wash cycle on the dishwasher and the kill-everything detergent if it's necessary to clean the things. If you've got some tree-hugger paraphernalia that can do the same job and isn't grossly overpriced because it comes with the "green" coin-phrase, then I'm game.

Looking at the situation from my geographical perspective – a country where some people don't even have electricity, and over a million people have been made homeless due to flooding caused by last year's extreme weather – the only adjective I can use to describe this attitude is porcine.

edit on 22/1/11 by Astyanax because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Looking at the situation from my geographical perspective

Always preferable to a logical perspective.

– a country where some people don't even have electricity,

Okay. How is this my fault or problem, again?

and over a million people have been made homeless due to flooding caused by last year's extreme weather

We get about that many each time a hurricane hits one of our coasts, about three times a year on average. It's classified as "extreme" weather, but occurs with such regularity that it's occurrence is not exceptional in and of itself. The effects are even worse when such 'extreme' (normal) weather hits a region where people have ingeniously built entire coastal cities below sea level.

– the only adjective I can use to describe this attitude is porcine.

I can use several to describe yours: illogical, irrational, naive, unscientific, ignorant. You present an ad misercordium and expect me to adopt a policy that is of great personal financial deficit while being an ineffective replacement. Why? Because not everyone has electricity and you've got a million homeless because of floods.

Explain to me how my purchasing of eco-friendly products that don't do the job I require of them is going to provide electricity to those in your nation who do not have it. Do they make eco-friendly products? Are you receiving dividends from every eco-friendly purchase? I'm not drawing the cause-effect link, here.

Care to explain how my purchasing of a four-wheel drive SUV so that I stand a better chance of getting to work when it snows contributes to your nation's lack of electricity, or number of homeless?

Really, I drive a small car and average about 34 miles to the gallon. Why? Because I don't find myself in need of a truck so often as to justify purchasing it and spending twice as much (average) on gas. It's economically beneficial for me to purchase ethanol blends of gasoline, drive in a fuel-efficient manner, and to do other things - like wear a sweater and keep the heat turned down in the winter - build an earth-contact home with double-thick walls, etc.

But there's no benefit for me to run out and tack some solar panels on my roof when the systems are premature and not suited for the average home. There's no benefit to building a multi-billion dollar solar power plant that can be built several times more efficient (better solar-to-electric conversion) for half the price in another ten years.

There's no reason for me to use water-based paints when they cannot match the viscosity, cure times, and effectiveness of oil-based varieties. This is not that big of a deal where I use paints (on models) - but in industrial applications where there are quality standards to be upheld - you can't just swap out "green" replacements - you have to develop an entirely new process in most cases.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I can use several to describe (your attitude): illogical, irrational, naive, unscientific, ignorant. You present an ad misercordium and expect me to adopt a policy that is of great personal financial deficit while being an ineffective replacement. Why? Because not everyone has electricity and you've got a million homeless because of floods.

Did I say anything to you about adopting a policy?

I was merely expressing repugnance at your boasting.

Fear not, no change of 'policy' will be necessary. None is possible, anyway.

The argument is over. Nature has ended it. Or history has, if you prefer. Often, they are one and the same. I suspect this was inevitable from the outset, and that any other species in our position would have behaved the same way--nauseous bragging and all.

edit on 24/1/11 by Astyanax because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
there is no global warming. the emails that we're leaked a while back in that fiasco proved that much.

and I quote...

"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."

any new scientific data assumedly begins from where the old data left off, unless they are only counting the last years worth of data. in which case its still BS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join