It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man banned from producing guns in his own home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Man banned from producing guns in his own home

www.cleveland.com

“Any form of manufacturing in a residential area is going to alter its character — let alone the potential manufacture of machine guns, grenade launchers and silencers,” Lobe said. “The fact is that it’s in a residential area.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Wow. No where in this article does it say that this man will be producing "grenade launchers". According to the article, he is simply producing these firearms in conjunction with local law enforcement.

Im not sure if I see anything wrong here. I dont see any kind of danger of explosions or anything crazy like that, because he's not producing ammo. Whats the deal?

What it all boils down to is a rich suburb not wanting the imagery of guns to be associated with one of its "fine neighborhoods". As a commenter said on the site "I guess the neighbor with illegal pot plants in his basement is still ok though".

Ive frequented this suburb and the outlying farmlands. Only 15-30 miles away is where you start to hit Amish country, there are local gunsmiths running their businesses out of their houses, and no problems arise. I know, because Ive utilized the services of these people, and respect their skills in their craft.

How can you not allow a man the right to pursue work through something that is totally legal?

www.cleveland.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Tyranny of the state. They decide it's not "customary."

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
i see no problem, with this. the article clearly states he doesn't have an ffl, and therefore "probably" not a licensed gunsmith. manufacturing is generally kept out of residential areas due to noise, materials shipping and any type of hazardous materials the may need to be stored, such as blueing. the article clearly states if he moved to a commercial or industrial area he'd have a much better chance. and while i have no problem with a gunsmith living next door to me, i see where many would.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
You might want to read the comment from 10 minutes ago. This taken directly from the OP's link.

"This whole article is borderline slanderous. Pretty much the whole article is quotes from the appeal, of which most were incorrect or taken out of context. It probably would have been a smart idea to make get my opinion on the matter rather then take a bunch of quotes and turn them into a article. At least the Solon Times got there information correct and didn't make me look like a nutjob.

For those that feel I was jipped perhaps a written letter or phone call to the city hall would help my cause to help law enforcement."

----Dominic Picone

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I really don't see the issue here, I had a roommate once that did custom gold-smithing in his house, don't see much of a difference.

Sounds to me like more of a hobby than a business, and if he makes a little scratch on it, good for him I say.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kyleisboss

Gunsmithing is indeed a noble profession. I see nothing wrong with a man wanting to work on his trade from home..

I like how they threw in silencers and grenade launchers to all but demonize this guy... I mean seriously a ton of people customize their own guns and ammo.. heck many even want them built from scratch... This guy is just trying to make a living.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

No Slander is spoken... In print it's libel...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofast

I can agree to disagree. While I also have no problem with a gunsmith living next door to me, this still does not give the municipality the right to deny this man the pursuit of work. I feel that they are simply doing this to "protect the integrity of the neighborhood/suburb"

I also do not find it fair that this man is supposed to now pick up shop, find another building or workspace and conduct his business there, away from his home. Thats extra money coming from his pocket that would need to be spent. It just doesnt seem fair, and seems very counterproductive (on his part).

Thats like telling me that if I wanted to make fruit baskets for the holidays, I would not be allowed to do it in my own home. Instead, Id have to rent out my own workspace, which again, just seems unfair to me. From what I understand, this man is also taking the proper steps to make sure things are being done LEGALLY.

Its his home, and as long as he's not doing anything ILLEGAL, I see no reason to tell someone what they can or cannot do in their own residence. Especially for the sake of the "community image".

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I think the reason they threw in "grenade launchers & silencers" is to paint the individual in a bad light. Rifles, handguns, and shotguns dont necessarily grab the attention of gun control activists. Grenade launchers & silencers do.

Forget the fact that I'm pretty sure its against federal law to even possess silencers and grenade launchers, let alone manufacture them out of your household

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

It's all about Zoning Laws. The guy was obviously ignorant of the zoning laws on his property.

I wouldn't like it if my neighbors house became a noisy factory either. I use to work in a machine shop, I could only imagine the noises coming from a modern gunsmiths house daily.

I'm sure you can still produce guns in your own home as long as it's not a business and just for personal use. As soon as someone finds out it's a business you will get in trouble with zoning laws.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is a manufacturing business and his neighborhood is not zoned for it. It doesn't matter whether he is manufacturing guns or something else. This is about simple zoning laws and not a conspiracy to deprive him of his constitutional right to make silenced machine guns [I'm sure it's in there somewhere].

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy

It's all about Zoning Laws. The guy was obviously ignorant of the zoning laws on his property.

I wouldn't like it if my neighbors house became a noisy factory either. I use to work in a machine shop, I could only imagine the noises coming from a modern gunsmiths house daily.

I'm sure you can still produce guns in your own home as long as it's not a business and just for personal use. As soon as someone finds out it's a business you will get in trouble with zoning laws.

Here's the law: www.solonohio.org...=09

I simply want assemble the guns from premade parts not make them with machines.

Here's the appeal: 65.36.179.127...

Dominic Picone
edit on 20-1-2011 by viperbo21 because: forgot info

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Whats up with these crazy times eh?? i probably dont even have the constitutional right to manufacture high yield plastic explosives and remote radio detonators anymore!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

I hope you are joking... Judging by your avatar I do not know how sure I am...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
If they ban this then they will 'ban' garage inventors after they steal the patents and fine the inventor

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by viperbo21

From I read here : linky: www.solonohio.org...

Which you provided, there is no legal reason to stop you from making those guns. I guess we can assume you are running an actual business and there is no storage of dangerous items? ( flammable, chemical etc. as detailed in the actual laws).

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

As I would assume...your probably using hammers and screwdrivers more so than drill presses & band saws right?

I dont think were talking about a huge commercial adventure.

Just a guy fixing some guns with a hammer and screwdrivers.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyleisboss

As I would assume...your probably using hammers and screwdrivers more so than drill presses & band saws right?

I dont think were talking about a huge commercial adventure.

Just a guy fixing some guns with a hammer and screwdrivers.

Bingo.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

you can make fruit baskets in your home all you want, but if you have 40 clients a day coming into your home, they'll tell you to get a store front. also, if you have trucks parked outside of your home for hours a day delivering your produce, they'll also tell you to get a store front. plus, you have to remember that there are certain chemical processes involved with making firearms. those chemicals are toxic.

business isn't fair, life isn't fair. he can still make his weapons, he just needs to get the proper licences, certifications and a store front. that's all i'm saying.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join