It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travel to Mars in Three Hours.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Physicists are working on technology that could one day have us traveling in hyperspace.

We’re going to step into the middle of a nifty science and engineering controversy. Today. On Engineering Works! Listen to the podcast.

If you’ve ever taken a physics course, you know that nothing can go faster than the speed of light, 186,000 miles a second. Seven-hundred-million miles an hour. Everything physicists know says you can’t go faster. But some physicists and engineers think they can do an end run around the speed-of-light limit.

They say that ideas developed about 50 years ago by a German scientist named Burkhard Heim suggest that we could use a very strong magnetic field to push spacecraft into another dimension. A dimension where the physical laws that make the speed of light as fast as anything can go don’t exist.

The idea sounds like science fiction. And a lot of top physicists say that’s all it is. But if it’s real, it could mean traveling to Mars in three hours or to a nearby star in three months. The interesting part is that the Department of Energy has a device -- the Z-machine -- that could produce the kind of ultra-powerful magnetic field we’d need to see if the idea might work. If it does, researchers could be testing a working engine in five years.

Even if everything turns out the way the visionaries think it will, it’ll be a long time before you can buy a ticket for a day trip to Mars.

So, beam us up, Scotty. We’re through here for now.

EngineeringWorks! is made possible by Texas A&M Engineering and produced by KAMU-FM in College Station.

Full article here
More info

I dont know if this will be possible. I'm curious as to what would power these types of devices and how much energy it would take to keep them powered? The human body can survive prolonged high acceleration? How do they know this z machine will do what its intended to do? (take them to a different dimension)

It will be awesome if real, but I have my doubts.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Great find, definitely would be a huge leap for mankind!
S&F from me!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I wonder if they'll mount the engine in a Nissan 350 Z

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

The Z machine is the largest X-ray generator in the world and is designed to test materials in conditions of extreme temperature and pressure. Operated by Sandia National Laboratories, it gathers data to aid in computer modeling of nuclear weapons. The Z machine is located at Sandia's main site in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Wikipedia

not sure if the Z machine is capable of what this article is talking about!

It would be cool though if we could get to Mars in three hours. Would it happen though even if they developed the technology!

Or do they already have the technology and are not telling us about there secret space endeavours! Where do the billions of dollars that NASA receive go and what the hell do they do with trillions of dollars they have in their black budget!

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

Or do they already have the technology and are not telling us about there secret space endeavours! Where do the billions of dollars that NASA receive go and what the hell do they do with trillions of dollars they have in their black budget!

Well, I'm sure they are not spending this money on chairs.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO
The human body can survive prolonged high acceleration?

It will be awesome if real, but I have my doubts.

Pushing you into another dimension and then back out somewhere else would not involve prolonged or any other kind of acceleration. the true concern would be whether living things can survive the fields generated.

Saw this somewhere else and said

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well I say it is about time they finally figured out how to successfully reverse engineer the Roswell craft. I mean look at the pic they used..

And what does the Z in Z-machine stand for? Zultan?

Z

Zyou do think zwe goin into zthe zhird dimenzion do you?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is just a rehash of the original story from 2006.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
Well I say it is about time they finally figured out how to successfully reverse engineer the Roswell craft. I mean look at the pic they used..

And what does the Z in Z-machine stand for? Zultan?

Z

Zyou do think zwe goin into zthe zhird dimenzion do you?

Hehe, sometimes I have the same impression.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by big_BHOY

It is NOT "just a rehash of the original story from 2006". The Burkhard Heim theory is continuing to develop. Here the theory (advanced, and now called the "Extended Heim Theory") - presented to American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics - dated July 2010:

"Coupled Gravitational Fields A New Paradigm for Propulsion Science"
www.hpcc-space.de...

The above link is taken from this site, where you can see the many papers of theory development over several years:

www.hpcc-space.de...

If NASA would ever act like a 21st century space agency... then we could have this type of space propulsion. But this propulsion won't feed money to thier lousy 'rocket' builder corporations. So they don't even ask for money to research it. When NASA gets funding for new 'rockets' for human space flight... it 'retards' our space program.

edit on 1/20/2011 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

the true concern would be whether living things can survive the fields generated.

Radiation?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

I don't think radiation is a problem. The theory states that the ship (and everything in it) would be converted to an 'alternate' (hyper-dimensional) form of matter - which has NO MASS. No mass means no inertia forces to contend with. And normal radiation can not affect matter with no mass.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Well said. But I wonder if some kind of radiation can affect this hiper-dimensional shield. Because it would be a mess.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Don't think of hyper-dimensional matter as being 'in a shield'. Think of it as the ship (and all in it) as being transformed into a 'ghostly' form, until the intense magnetic field is suspended. As a ghost, it can travel at f-t-l speeds. It might even pass through normal matter that has mass. Now what could affect a ghost?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Everything depends of what the "ghost" is made of. Everything is affected by something.
edit on 20-1-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman

Originally posted by big_BHOY

It is NOT "just a rehash of the original story from 2006". The Burkhard Heim theory is continuing to develop. Here the theory (advanced, and now called the "Extended Heim Theory") - presented to American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics - dated July 2010:

"Coupled Gravitational Fields A New Paradigm for Propulsion Science"
www.hpcc-space.de...

The above link is taken from this site, where you can see the many papers of theory development over several years:

www.hpcc-space.de...

If NASA would ever act like a 21st century space agency... then we could have this type of space propulsion. But this propulsion won't feed money to thier lousy 'rocket' builder corporations. So they don't even ask for money to research it. When NASA gets funding for new 'rockets' for human space flight... it 'retards' our space program.

edit on 1/20/2011 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

Where did I say anything about Heim theory not evolving over time?

I simply said this story is a rehash from 2006, right down to the Z-machine & prototype being 5 years away.

The second link, is from 2006.

There is absolutely nothing new in either of those links in the op from what was first published back in 2006.

I said nothing about Heim theory not evolving over time. Merely that the link in the op has been rehashed from 2006.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Another intense magnetic field could affect it. But that would be in close proximity to a star, or another hyper-dimensional ship.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

All just theory..
Personaly I think Stargates sound more feasible..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by RUSSO

All just theory..
Personaly I think Stargates sound more feasible..

Yeh, but everything has to start in some place. 5 years and done? Dont think so, but I would like to see this happening.

Stargates will be great. No more traffic will be awesome.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

If you hop into a stargate to Mars... there had better be a stargate on Mars to come out of.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join