It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding North (Magnetic North)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
With the recent bird and fish deaths and the question if the magnetic pole shift has anything to do with it all, I got curious as to where is MAGNETIC NORTH right now? I searched the Internet over looking for something that gave the current coordinates of magnetic north. After a few days of searching in my spare time, I came up with no answer as to where the current location of magnetic north is. All my research kept bringing me back to the same website. gsc.nrcan.gc.ca...
Apparently this is a Canada Research Group that has the right equipment to find the coordinates for MAGNETIC NORTH. But their website has not updated it's position since 2005. Now my head was thinking. What if there is something to all these massive animal die offs and MAGNETIC NORTH has moved off the top of the globe?
So this site did give an email address of a contact person about MAGNETIC NORTH. I sent them a short email and they replied back very quickly with the current location of MAGNETIC NORTH.
I give this to you now.

2011 85.1N 134.0W

I have also placed these new coordinates into Google Earth so you can see where it is in the Artic Ocean.

Here is the email that I sent and the response.

Dear Sir,

I have been searching the Internet looking for the current coordinates for magnetic north. Each site I have visited has led me back to your site. So now I'm hoping to get the current coordinates and ask why these coordinates have not been updated since 2005?

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Response:

Here is the most recent surveyed position of the North magnetic pole.

2007.3 is 83.95 N, 120.72 W Newitt, Jean-Jacques Orgeval, Arnaud Chulliat, (IPGP) Mariannick Orgeval, and Mary Angatookauk

The estimated position based on the International Geomagnetic Reference Field model (IGRF-11) is
2011 85.1N 134.0W

The content of our website is in the process of being updated however our resident expert has retired and the process is taking longer than anticipated.

Regards,
Lorne
----------------------------------

So in conclusion... I've discovered the North Magnetic Pole is still moving towards Russia and there is a group still tracking this information.

I'm not starting a conspiracy with this thread but putting information out there that I could not find on my own.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Have you ever heard of a COMPASS

Seriously though this is a good question, I wish I had a good answer, but unfortunately I can't even keep up with my own bowel movements let alone the movements of the magnetic poles...I'm sooo confused, looking forward to some more seriouse posters...in all honesty it's a troubling question

edit on 20-1-2011 by Mythkiller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by biblenet

good find op, S$F for putting this up, i was going to look for my self to see just how far and where it the north has moved.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Magnetic North isn't in any one place. It moves constantly. 40 feet, give or take a couple of feet, per year. Over millenia it has caused every part of the globe to expierence every type of weather imaginable.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mythkiller

Seriously though this is a good question, I wish I had a good answer, but unfortunately I can't even keep up with my own bowel movements let alone the movements of the magnetic poles...I'm sooo confused, looking forward to some more seriouse posters...in all honesty it's a troubling question

One complicating factor is that at the magnetic north pole the compass doesn't point in any lateral direction, it points straight down.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

Its a natural process. Nothing to be to worried about. Unless it was moving at a more rapid pace, of course.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd

Originally posted by Mythkiller

One complicating factor is that at the magnetic north pole the compass doesn't point in any lateral direction, it points straight down.

Actually so does my A*#hole so no disparity there...Sorry guys, I'm Drunk...it's 2am here, I'm going to bed before I really embaress myself...too late, maybe.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
have you seen the strength of the magnetic south pole,british geologists are down there right now because its increasingwww.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Get a compass; it will point to magnetic north.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

How do you derive the magnetic North pole's latitude from a compass reading?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by Mythkiller

Its a natural process. Nothing to be to worried about. Unless it was moving at a more rapid pace, of course.

MOTF!

like this?

I know it's a year old but this article in the national geographic does seem to say that it is speeding up and changing...

Earth's north magnetic pole is racing toward Russia at almost 40 miles (64 kilometers) a year due to magnetic changes in the planet's core, new research says. The core is too deep for scientists to directly detect its magnetic field. But researchers can infer the field's movements by tracking how Earth's magnetic field has been changing at the surface and in space. Now, newly analyzed data suggest that there's a region of rapidly changing magnetism on the core's surface, possibly being created by a mysterious "plume" of magnetism arising from deeper in the core. And it's this region that could be pulling the magnetic pole away from its long-time location in northern Canada, said Arnaud Chulliat, a geophysicist at the Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris in France.

edit on 21-1-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Actually it can move up to and over 80kms a day.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Yes, the MAGNETIC NORTH is constantly moving. You can get many scientific sources on this subject.

I have watched recently a french documentary on this (with reliable scientific sources) :
- First localisation of Magnetic North was in 1831
- Since it moved around 10-15 Km per year. With an increase by 2001, around 50 km per year.
- With sampling on marine sediments, Scientists have determined that they were around 300 magnetic reversal (north switched with south)
- They think that the decrease of 10% on the magnetic field (during last 50 years) tend to prove that a new magnetic reversal cycle is happening (but it would take a lot of years to occurs)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by doubledutch

LOL yeah like that. I was thinking miles and wrote feet. In an avrage year. The recent years hacent been too average though. Its not like we are dealing with something "brand new" though. It has all happened before, just not to us. We just dont know what the hell is going on. And when i say we i mean humans.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

yeah I agree, it has all happened before, and im sure it will again, I guess it's just figuring out when...It would be nice if we could get a definitive answer on this whole pole shift/pole reversal debate, one way or the other

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

How do you derive the magnetic North pole's latitude from a compass reading?

With a really good chronograph, a book of sol-lunar tables and a sextant. And a working knowledge of trigonometry

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 4nsicphd

Yah... but how do you do it with a compass?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I ran across an update on Magnetic North Position, just thought I would post...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
on a vfr map, that pilots use...mag north is updated....in the 70's dallas had 5 degrees of deviation to the east....meaning mag north was 4-5 degrees east of the true north....it got further east in the 80's and now is retracing!!

new topics

top topics

join