It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blueberries faked in cereals, muffins, bagels and other food products - Food Investigations

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Honestly ,I don't care what's in my food as long as it taste good.
I'd eat rocky moutain oyster's if they tasted good.

But what if it's unheatlhy? Eh look we all got to die sometime.
No amount of heatlhy food in the world is going to make you immortal. Life's short , you might as well enjoy a couple of steaks while you're around.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
every time i see threads like this about the adulteration of food, it always brings me back to The Jungle and "durham's pure leaf lard". the fda is a toothless joke. i can't believe what passes for "food" these days. i live in the inner city, and i cant even come close to describing how hard it is to find affordable fresh produce or healthful foods. an apple shouldn't cost more than a brownie. ($1 vs 25 cents, and i'm not joking). but hey, you can't subjugate a healthy population, right?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Unfortunately this is probably the most expensive country to live in as regards to organic food. Even vegetables from the market have chemicals sprayed all over them.

My suggestion as to what to eat and not to eat is- if you can afford eating all organic with *ORGANIC* labels on it (preferably pesticide/antibiotic/hormone free) then go with that. Otherwise, just eat only real food and don't worry about pesticides, and hormones etc. Real food being all vegetables, nuts, seeds, berries, animals, fish, fruit...basic rule of thumb- if it's not a plant or animal don't eat it. (Or if it has more than 5 ingredients don't eat it, have you ever read the ingredients on bread? OMGOSH!)

And I don't know how these companies get away with poisoning our food- but it really grinds my gear...the same with water fluoridation. ARGH!
edit on 20-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Well, I didn't think they had taken it this far. Sure I knew those little boxes of Jiffy Blueberry muffins didn't have any blueberries in it. It says it right on the box. Same with some blueberry pancake mix I bought.

I guess it's the same deal for anything claiming to have strawberries or raspberries in it too.

For some reason I keep thinking of all the different types of Koolaid I drank when I was little. Let's see Koolaid + sugar + fluoridated tap water = dentures when you get older!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You have to watch any fruit now. a growing number of them are putting on the front of the box "real fruit juice"

But if you read the back it will list ingredients like water, high fructose corn syrup. fruit juice, artificial coloring.

Remember that when they list the ingredients on the box its by amount. the first ingredient on the list has the largest amount,

What they are doing is adding 60% water to juice and adding high fructose corn syrup to sweeten the mix and the artificial coloring to bring the mix back to the color that 100% juice would have.

Just look in some stores for the WIC program food and you will find a lot of these adulterated foods.
www.fns.usda.gov...
Then you wonder why you have so many overweight poor kids. its the high fructose corn syrup that is making the kids fat. Its pure GM sugar made from GM corn using GM enzymes.
www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.naturalnews.com...
healthmad.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
my own exerience of processed food in the USA is that it generally contains far more chemical and adulterated ingredients than in the UK, that said, I totally avoid most processed food and it's easy to do, healthier and tastes far better.

if all the bad ingredients in processed foods were sat in front of you with a description, origin and effects, in test tubes would you drink / eat them?

did you know margarine is white until coloured yellow? crushed insects make some food colouring? gelatine is from animal hooves? there are some very odd and unhealthy things being added to some foods which are best avoided.

healthy v's unhealthy...no contest really! presumably those arguing that they don't care have masochistic tendencies?

supermarkets here aren't perfect but they are in competition to provide lower cost fruit and veg and the prices are pretty good for most things.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

You're right ANNED. I switched fruit juices once I saw a stamp on the back pf an apple juice that said "Concentrate from China."

Then I started noticing fruit juice labels carrying the "100% fruit juice!" I think Welches started this.

But you have to be careful of tricky labels. Some fruit juices say 100% fruit juice, then says... "from concentrate," then adds... "with ADDED INGREDIENT!"

Then they don't tell you what that added ingredient is!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I wonder if you got this off me from the chat!

I was going to post this a few days ago but i was to lazy to make a nice thread about it! :O

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I thought basically the same thing when i bought tea-bags last week.
They should be strawberry vanilla tea. most funniest thing is - there are no strawberries or vanilla on ingredient list.

Believing in front cover of product is like believing in smurfs - maybe blueberries will show up if you believe in them hard enough

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by wayno

Well you can eat plain Flavourless muffins then, However i much prefer blueberries or at least something that might as well be blueberries for all i care

Some places actually use real fruit in their stuff. It is just a matter of choosing where you shop. Not so hard. Or, God forbid, bake them yourself.

Some people even grow them,

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OatDelphi

Hell in my neck of the woods we have laws being introduced that want to make it flat out illegal to grow a garden if you are within city limits, even if you are doing everything organically and can prove it.

That is just legalized insanity. It kind of goes in the same bin with laws against clothes lines outside.
Just so wrong there aren't the words for it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

You can only get away with saying this when you are young. You could eat sand and survive without ill effects when you are young. The sly trick mother nature pulls on you is that all that bad stuff you consumed carelessly in your youth comes back to haunt you when you are older.

Cancer, diabetis, high blood pressure are not fun. I'd much rather be old and healthy than old and sick.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Nope..

I got it from my inbox from Naturalnews.com..

it is a good source for info on our food...

you should check it out..

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
reply to post by Reptius

You can only get away with saying this when you are young. You could eat sand and survive without ill effects when you are young. The sly trick mother nature pulls on you is that all that bad stuff you consumed carelessly in your youth comes back to haunt you when you are older.

Cancer, diabetis, high blood pressure are not fun. I'd much rather be old and healthy than old and sick.

Your post is so true, it's as true as sky blue. (Well.......above the chemtrails...) Last night I did something really really stupid. I was long aware of this one pizza delivery place which I had not patronized in years. Well, they were pushing an aggressive message campaign where'in the CEO was basically telling about how they have renewed away from the old crappy recipe, to much better quality product. I was hungry and had some of this new stuff delivered to me. With items and tip and deliver charge, I spent about 20 bucks, but it could have been more. I immediately noticed a sickening smell. I found they had drowned these pies in garlic. The cheese was the same old cheese-product stuff, and used very very sparingly. The sauce tasted like tomatoe paste. All of a sudden, I got very nauseated. I flew to my sink and vomited and vomited and bright red blood came up as well. But like the quoted poster above said, once you reach a certain age, there is a "road closed" sign in your esophagus, I cannot eat stuff I used to, as ---badly--- as I want to (and unfortunately, keep trying........)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

I know what you are talking about. After dozens of years without a Twinkie, for some reason a couple of years ago I thought to myself, "wouldn't that just taste great"; remembering how once in my life I loved them.

It was gross! It was at once greasy, soggy and overly sweet with a bland, mucky texture. I was astonished that I ever liked something so nasty. Once you get onto real food, the artificial stuff is just unbearable.

But until you try the real stuff, you don't know what you are missing.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
reply to post by simone50m

I know what you are talking about. After dozens of years without a Twinkie, for some reason a couple of years ago I thought to myself, "wouldn't that just taste great"; remembering how once in my life I loved them.

It was gross! It was at once greasy, soggy and overly sweet with a bland, mucky texture. I was astonished that I ever liked something so nasty. Once you get onto real food, the artificial stuff is just unbearable.

But until you try the real stuff, you don't know what you are missing.

absolutely....the folly of youth!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by innervision0730

Are preservatives added to frozen veg and fruit in the US? They certainly are not in the UK. Why would you add a preservative to a frozen vegetable? Frozen fruit and veg are actually more nutritious than fresh because the fresh fruit and veg are actually weeks old by the time you buy them so most of the nutrients have died. Whereas the nutrients in fresh fruit and veg are preserved because they are frozen straight after picking.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Also a lot of "fast" foods don't actually have to be unhealthy, but you have to make them yourselves! Pizza is SO EASY to make, the dough takes ten minutes to make, you let it rise, flatten it, slap on some tomato sauce (also healthy if it's 100% tomato) put on a little bit of cheese (not too much!) slap on some nice veg on top. You have a lovely fresh healthy pizza!

And you can add herbs, or whatever you want for flavour, or even make the pizza base with wholewheat flour.

Probably the same for burgers and things, if you make the buns yourself and cook the beef in the oven it's so much healthier. I'm sure roast potato slices will be better for you than fries too.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

That is very true. Whenever I've seen American processed foods the ingredients list is always very long, full of chemicals which I don't recognise and usually also with hydrogenated oil or fat of some kind. But yeah, I buy very little processed foods. I prefer to make things myself and have control over the taste.

The other thing that annoys me is that so many people seem to think that "juice drinks" are juice. They are not? But often I've heard people say: I just have to grab juice, and they pick up juice drinks instead. And juice is bad enough already.
edit on 27-1-2011 by monkey_descendant because: (no reason given)

On fruit and veg: Here in the UK fruit and veg is actually very expensive compared to on the continent. It's almost twice the price or more in most instances. It also has nothing to do with shipping the stuff over the channel, a lot of the expensive stuff is from the UK, and shipping cost is actually minimal and shouldn't be so greatly reflected in the price of the veg.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

What's wrong with eating insect? It's a natural food actually. A lot of people around the world eat them and happily, maybe deep fried and battered.

Also really happy to meet someone from the discworld

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join