It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blueberries faked in cereals, muffins, bagels and other food products - Food Investigations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
With all the products out there these days that are trying to make us believe that we are eating Healthier, It seems that some major food companies are deceiving us with Fake blueberries in our Bagels,muffins,cereal and even pop tarts.

Big-name food and cereal companies are caught 'faking' the blueberries in their cereals, muffins and other products. What did the Health Ranger find in these products instead of blueberries? Artificial coloring chemicals, hydrogenated oils and liquid sugars. Narrated by Mike Adams.

Pictures of blueberries are prominently displayed on the front of many food packages. Here they are on boxes of muffins, cereals and breads. But turn the packages around, and suddenly the blueberries disappear. They're gone, replaced in the ingredients list with sugars, oils and artificial colors derived from petrochemicals. This bag of blueberry bagels sold at Target stores is made with blueberry bits. And while actual blueberries are found further down the ingredients list, the blueberry bits themselves don't even contain bits of blueberries. They're made entirely from sugar, corn cereal, modified food starch, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, artificial flavor, cellulose gum, salt and artificial colors like Blue #2, Red #40, Green #3 and Blue #1. What's missing from that list? Well, blueberries. Where did the blueberries go?

Here is a 7 min video i would like you all to watch, very informative..video of fake blueberries

2nd link

edit on 20-1-2011 by baddmove because: new link

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
not suprised one bit...

God forbid we should eat something even a little bit healthy

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I’m going to start making my own muesli with fresh ingredients
I’ve never bought packet cakes .I’ve always used my grandmothers recipes for those, and all of her ingredients are fresh.
I would love one of those food dehydrators, so I could make my own dried fruit.

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

You are welcome..I know my family loves blueberries in lots of foods we eat..

we always get fresh organic when possible..

It just blows my mind what these food companies get away with on their labeling..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Better fake blueberries than No blueberries eh?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Something that might not be commonly known is that the womens sufferance movement was partly born out of a similar practice used by factories making Jam (jelly) where they would put small pieces of wood in to the product to make it appear that it contained real raspberry seeds instead of sweetened marrow pulp.

According to a report on food adulteration by Felicity Lawrence in The Guardian (17 May 2003): "Sylvia Pankhurst gave as an example of sweated labour in her 1931 book, The Suffragette Movement, the work of women whose job it was to rub minute pieces of wood into seed shapes so they could be added to raspberry jam made without the aid of raspberries. Outraged, she opened a factory making jam from real fruit at affordable prices to create jobs for pacifist women during the first world war.

There is some debate on the validity of the story but it is widely believed to be true and highlights that fake foods are not a new phenomenon in any way

link
edit on 20-1-2011 by davespanners because: misspelling

Edit to add
Food adulteration in the Victorian period was even worse and would sometimes be actually poisonous
edit on 20-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I'm sure you are all familiar with the term "Eat # and die."

This is one of the ruling elite's mantras, make no mistake.
edit on 20-1-2011 by WeMoveUnseen because: Because of this awful weather

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me at all. The smell and taste of a lot of prepacked stuff that passes as food doesn't even resembled real food. A $25 dehydrator and produce bought locally solves this problem quite nicely. Pity most people are too "busy" or too "lazy" to care and will keep on eating fake food until nothing else is available for any of us and we all really start paying the price.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
That's why it's a good idea to read the label. It will say Artifically flavored. Even if they are in there you know its bad for you to begin with lol They would have to be preserved which means lots of sugar/salt.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Thanks for the idea..

i'm going to look into a food dehydrator soon..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

Better fake blueberries than No blueberries eh?

I hope you are kidding. All the petro chemical dyes and hydrogenated oils makes for not so good to eat.

It never ceases to amaze me how it could be cheaper to use all those factory processed ingredients than something you just pick off a bush or vine.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Isn't it amazing that people still don't read labels?? I think young people today who have never seen a farm or even a garden probably have no idea where real food comes from. For them factory food is normal. Not sure how to get around that.

The older I get, the more I am leaning towards organics. If I can't find organics at least I want to see real ingredients; not anything artificial.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Well you can eat plain Flavourless muffins then, However i much prefer blueberries or at least something that might as well be blueberries for all i care

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
It never ceases to amaze me how it could be cheaper to use all those factory processed ingredients than something you just pick off a bush or vine.

Because, it cost too much, to package, store and ship blueberries all over the world. So they came up with chemicals that can withstand the test of time and can be easily changed with dyes and flavor additives.

Then they basically had government outlaw fresh produce saying it need to be radiated or other processes needed to been done to it. This eventually drove local blueberrie(and other produce) farmers out of the loop.

Hell in my neck of the woods we have laws being introduced that want to make it flat out illegal to grow a garden if you are within city limits, even if you are doing everything organically and can prove it.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This is why you should always read the labels on everything you buy and why I bake my own cakes and things. I hate all these filler ingredients made to cheapen the product and raise the profits. It's disgusting. Most things have pointless stretcher ingredients in them. And you know, porridge and home made muesli taste better than any of these breakfast "foods". How people eat them, I don't know. They are junk food, you may as well just be eating sugared cardboard for breakfast

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

To be fair I don't think the problem is as bad here in England. At least I've not seen many products with hydrogenated anything in them (and yes it has to be on the label, I've seen it, but it's a lot rarer). So you can probably safely assume that our blueberry muffins do actually have blueberries in them. And yes I have bought these products and have read the labels, they aren't near as bad as described in the OP.

Whenever I've tried american sweets and cakes they taste completely artifical, they aren't like english cakes and sweets at all. In fact I had a whole load of different types given to me, and each one had hydrogenated oil or fat in it! And one of the sweets had MINERAL OIL in it. As in the carcinogenic stuff that comes from the ground, for your car!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Fake blue berries, eh? I used to be fairly health conscious. Now I'm not really that interested in what's in the things I eat. Why would I say that, you ask? Think about it.
What's in our water supplies? How many different types of chemicals, heavy metals, bacteria and other things are coming right from our water supplies? Too many to write here. How about the purity of rain water these days? Forget about lakes and streams.
Now. Plants give us our vegetables, fruits, nuts, and other things. How are they watered? What is in the water, goes into the plants. What goes into the water, goes into the plants, that goes into the livestock. What goes into the water, goes into the plants, that goes into the livestock, which goes into humans.
I can say with alot of confidence that no matter how much you try to eat healthy, chemicals are going to be present.
My motto is simply if it tastes good I eat it.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Imagine all the years these scumbags have been able to raise the prices of products with artificial blueberries, when real blueberries had bad crop yields from freezing or drought.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
No wonder I felt like crap after eating those frozen "blueberry" waffles, I just knew something was not quite right with them. Thats not right , if it says blueberries then it should have "real " blueberries in it.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Nothing is all natural these days. I really believe that there is nothing which is not tainted. And goodness knows what the USDA is going to deem unhealthy tomorrow. It changes it's mind on everything more often than the wind. What is healthy today is deadly tomorrow, and vice versa.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join