It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If a state Were to leave the Union who would it Be?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
My vote would be for Arkansas or Massachussetts. I haven't found a citizen of one of those state's that I liked and I probably never will.

Another one would be Canada....what?....They are a country?.....I just assumed they were the 51st state.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Secession is greedy, we want our States' Rights, not secession.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by slickwilly95991
Another one would be Canada....what?....They are a country?.....I just assumed they were the 51st state.

Actually the question which one was more likley to leave the union. If we had a vote, man some states would be screwed
. Canada is really the 55th state. We can't afford to piss off Guam, Siapan, and Puerto Rico, or DC

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Puerto Rico actually WANTS to be a state, but we won't let them.

wrong. they dont want to be a state cause they dont want to pay the taxes that fund the military that protects them. they have a vote on it like every year. they dont want to become a state

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I declare myself as my own state and I secede of my own free will

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Looking at the demographics from the last Census, California would fats become a welfare state if it suceeded from the union. Education quality and quantity was declining faster than any other state in the union. The influx of illegal aliens who can't read or write who are having offspring at a higher rate than any other demographic is surely to become one of California's biggest concerns over the next decade. More of its educational resources have to be put toward this demographic if it is to keep up with the rest of the US. Someone in a conference I attended made the statement that "You have English as a second language being taught to those who cannot read or write their native language."

No, in my opinion, California would make a bad mistake by succeeding and I think they are fully aware and have no plans for that. Their economy is largely service based in many locals and unless their educational system is geared more toward their largest increasing population, they are looking at that scenerio statewide. Don't take my word for it, just do a search and you'll find that thia is a cheif concern for the state as well as on the federal level.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I think PR should become the 51st state, either that or Quebec

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlterEgo
Question?
Why is this thread here? There's nothing to imply a conspiracy. I don't see how it fits in Politics and Scandals. It seems like something that belongs in BTS and with the over 8000 points since 6/27, is this just a grab for points?

He's actually right, I believe this topic needs to be fit in BTS or more like to be in Abovepolitics.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Definitely New Hampshire first

Then Vermont

After that, I'd guess other northeastern stats like Maine, Mass, Maryland, Rhode Island

Then Texas, Alaska

& the rest...

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EnronOutrunHomerun

I recognize your secession as legitimate and valid!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
If a larger governing body doesn't want to let you, or won't allow you to secede, it's because they see that you still have something left of value within your borders that they want to milk you for.

On the other hand, if they're being fair and a vast majority of the people within those borders don't want to be under your laws or authority... I think the great law of the universe says that they should be allowed to leave.

It would be no different than saying to your mate "you can't go... i'm not finished *&*&-ing you."

It's just a form of mass rape. IMHO.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Kansas had a statewide survey back in the late 80's about succession. It was very popular in the western and southwestern part of the state. The majority did want to stay within the Union.

Mainly done as a tax protest type thing.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
France.

Contributed to US freedom.
Contributed to US wealth.
Contributed to US worldwide power.

Time to hit the road.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by EnronOutrunHomerun

Just wait for "The Big One" and it'll be the Island Republic of Los Angeles.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent47

I believe Texas was the only state with the option to secede one more time from the union but we can't come back if we do. Yea, like we would want to! I keep telling my liberal friends they could move to California but there even scared of those hard lefters!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Im not sure people are aware of this I live in NY and more puerto ricans live in th 50 states then in PR and they move back and forth with ease so it is well ingrated with the USA , The reason it is not a state is it would tip the USA to the left and to the democrats for the next 100 year it will happen anyways not because democrats better at governing they are but because the south went conservative on fiscal policy so it could get Republicans from the north and have a viable coalition today most Northern Republicans do well on the local level outside the cities w/ conservative fiscal policy and moderate to liiberal social views and do not dislike smart goverment agencies . In the mid atlantic states NY to Virginia Delware Maryland,NJ,Penn all are trending Dem after being solid Republican minus NY & NJ but with people Like Casey in Penn Pro-life fiscal center left and Tim Cane in Virginia the same this trend will continue south because race has become less of an issue for most.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I have heard there could be as many as 8 states that would try to leave the Union, all together as one, in the event Quebec is granted sovereignty and form its own country (or join Quebec, don't know which one is more likely, though): New Hamphire, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York and possibly New Jersey. I have to admit it's a large chunk

The United States as a whole is in such a deep financial trouble that armed conflict with the newly sovereign state would be a lot more devastating for both sides than if peaceful, legal secession was attained. In the current context, the US cannot afford to attempt taking back (because it may fan the flames for a possible WWIII) any state that would secede. However, what I know for sure is that any state that would try and leave would require all of the following:

- Support of the population (50% + 1 in a referendum at least)
- Support of the legislative assemblies of the concerned state(s)
- The support in both Houses of Congress (don't know whether it's 50% + 1 in both houses or two-thirds but a State cannot secede if it does not have the support of both the House of Representatives and the Senate)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join