It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If a state Were to leave the Union who would it Be?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
My vote is for Californai or Texas.

Both have economies that could stand alone (California is more diverse). Texas is more independant minded however.
But California:
Has sign argiculture
High Tech Companies
Aerospace
Health Care
Tons of research
Some oil
Some renewable energy sources
Large land area
Large national guard
Edwards AFB

and best of all: The Governator

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Puerto Rico.
I know they are not a state, but they deserve to be cut loose.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Puerto Rico.
I know they are not a state, but they deserve to be cut loose.

no man not who we would cut loose, but one that would "self determine" its need to leave. If we could boot one out I would vote for Puerto rico as well. Maybe we should keep the bombing range though

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I'm with Fredt and groingrinder. Let Puerto Rico go. Why do countries in general have to have territories?

California will have a huge earthquake and fall off soon enough.

Can I make my house a sovereign nation? j/k

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Puerto Rico actually WANTS to be a state, but we won't let them.

The only rabble rousing I ever hear about succession is from Texas.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Rant, I was taken by surprise many weeks ago in Hawaii. Esp. in Kauai, the large number of Hawaii Nationalism Signs. Not exactly anti-US, more of a lets leave the Union thing.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Well, the minute Texas leaves, I'll give it 24 hours before Mexico takes it back..

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972
Well, the minute Texas leaves, I'll give it 24 hours before Mexico takes it back..

Man I have a few relatives in Texas, and that would be over thier dead bodies! Besides we want them in the union what with thier geat BBQ and all. Just keep thier politicians at home

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
FredT

Sounds good to me

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Sorry Rant, back to status quo... The good citizens of Puerto Rico do not want to become a state, why should they? They get all the swell Federal handouts without the pain of Federal Income Tax. Sounds like a bargain to me... In addition, they are not burdened with the option to vote in Presidential Elections... looking even better with the veritable smorgasbord of political intellect, we have to choose from in 2004 (or any other recent election year... we miss you Ron...) As for Texas seceding... let them... New Mexico wants its water back!

How Puerto Rican's really feel, and voted on this subject.

[edit on 11/7/2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Rant, I was taken by surprise many weeks ago in Hawaii. Esp. in Kauai, the large number of Hawaii Nationalism Signs. Not exactly anti-US, more of a lets leave the Union thing.

Oh yeah, that's true. Their politics are kind of interesting. Didn't they vote for Kucinich in huge numbers in the Dem nomination?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hmmmm maybe its time that the US saved on its annual budget by giving Puerto Rico its independence. Other countries have got rid of their colonial conquerings.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
Hmmmm maybe its time that the US saved on its annual budget by giving Puerto Rico its independence. Other countries have got rid of their colonial conquerings.

Thats not a bad idea. Can PR survive on its own though?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Thats not a bad idea. Can PR survive on its own though?

I heard the Social Security and Welfare alone would be crippling.

I had a friend that worked there in a US corp for a few years. Said it had to be the most corrupt and lawless place on the planet.

I can only imagine the cost in policing the place or sending in the DEA.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
My friend that I work with is with the 193rd, and just had some drill down there. He said it is horrible down there....

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
So in effect the US has to be concerned about the welfare of the inhabitants on Puerto Rico? Are there any??? The last time I looked the majority were in the US. However be that as it may, self sufficiency didn't seem to bother the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal when they cut loose their colonies in Africa and South America. If a country was run like a company, would one not first cut loose your absolute losses? I realize this sounds rather inhumane but surely other islands with much less infrastructure seem to survive rather adequately or is their some historic agreement between the US and PR that I am not aware of that demands an equal standard of living with the US?

[edit on 11-7-2004 by Mynaeris]

link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972
My friend that I work with is with the 193rd, and just had some drill down there. He said it is horrible down there....

Yeah people that I know that have been there have said the same thing. The problem with just cutting them loose is that we could end up with another Hatian problem on our hands

link   
This guy said he had to walk to work in PR as car jacking was seen as pretty much public transportation.

His SUV got hijacked and set on fire right when he got there, and he was mugged again waiting for the police who did nothing but give lessons on how to survive PR.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If Californai didnt swim off to the Pacific in the future, I think California could separate. But they dont have an army now do they?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
If Californai didnt swim off to the Pacific in the future, I think California could separate. But they dont have an army now do they?

National Guards like the other states. We would have to build up one. But we do have some interesting sites like China Lake NAS, Edwards. Im sure that there are some cool looking high tech gear just waiting to be used for our defence

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join